• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,632 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

@kelholt  -- Great stuff, Kelly!! So how are you eliminating the glare off the plastic? 

It is very tricky to eliminate the glare. Rule #1, never use the flash ??.

Good light is necessary to best show the book, but not too much light or sharp glare defects come into play. Due to this I use natural light at optimal times of the day.

Below is my "studio". There is a dresser in the background, a stiff black felt backboard used as the backdrop. Notice the window (blind closed) to the right.

IMG_0074.JPG

This is 1 of two crucial steps to eliminate glare. If natural light is too strong, then get glare no matter what you do. If natural light too low, then book looks much less vibrant.

During certain times of the day, I can open the blind and it lets in just the right amount of natural light.  Time of day and or adjusting the right amount of natural light is the key.

Notice how natural light has changed the carpet color from the first picture.

IMG_0075.JPG

Notice from the earlier pictures, I am about 5-7 feet away from the book.

This is key 2 of 2. I get my iPhone low, it actually touches the carpet. I have to lay on the ground for this part. The iPhone is so low, it is actually looking up a bit at the book especial since the book cgc well is about 2 inches off the ground. I then use my zoom and frame it where only see black from the felt around the edges. If using an iPhone , you might have to touch a light area on your screen for it to make a bright photo. The phone sometimes picks up dark or light and by touching this area on the screen it can lighten or darken the photo. Notice on the two photos how the labels are different darkness/lighted. This was achieved by touching either a light area on screen or a dark part. Both photos taken within seconds.

Here is the final product. One nicely centered unaltered, unjuiced, realistically lighted photo of a comic. About as real as holding it in your hand.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

Edited by kelholt
Added two photos

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Oh Lordy have I played this game of trying to position the blinds just right at the exact right time of day so many times, sadly I'm usually at work during this magical moment...I get 2 chances per week.  I kinda feel like Indiana Jones trying to uncover the location of the Lost Ark...

lol

20 years back I had a tiny apartment whose windows butted up against the backs of two warehouses, and it was almost completely dark except for the 15 minutes each afternoon when the sun lined up between them and flooded in. :cloud9:

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Oh Lordy have I played this game of trying to position the blinds just right at the exact right time of day so many times, sadly I'm usually at work during this magical moment...I get 2 chances per week.  I kinda feel like Indiana Jones trying to uncover the location of the Lost Ark...

Raiders of the Lost Ark is exactly what it is like :roflmao:

On 9/6/2017 at 10:13 AM, kelholt said:

Notice from the earlier pictures, I am about 5-7 feet away from the book.

This is key 2 of 2. I get my iPhone low, it actually touches the carpet. I have to lay on the ground for this part. The iPhone is so low, it is actually looking up a bit at the book especial since the book cgc well is about 2 inches off the ground. I then use my zoom and frame it where only see black from the felt around the edges. If using an iPhone , you might have to touch a light area on your screen for it to make a bright photo. The phone sometimes picks up dark or light and by touching this area on the screen it can lighten or darken the photo. Notice on the two photos how the labels are different darkness/lighted. This was achieved by touching either a light area on screen or a dark part. Both photos taken within seconds.

Here is the final product. One nicely centered unaltered, unjuiced, realistically lighted photo of a comic. About as real as holding it in your hand.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

Thank so much for the awesome play-by-play. You're the comic book's Howard Cosell! Now to find my 15 minutes of gentle sunlight. 

Um, amazing Jungle 14 btw.

On September 7, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Artboy99 said:

I agree, just awesome.

Makes me want to acquire a Planet Comics bound volume.

The guy who I got the Wings bound volume from also had Planet #13-24 bound volume but wouldn't sell it to me. He eventually sold it to somebody else. So it's out there some where...