• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 interiors - Library of Congress

19 posts in this topic

but on the other hand, notice references to "he could do what he liked with it"

http://comicsdc.blogspot.fr/2008/04/spider-man-1-original-artwork-given-to.html

G'nite zzz

Steve Ditko is not a property attorney. If the artwork was removed from Marvel's offices without authorization, and they were trying to recover it, title did not pass when "gifted" to the individual. Then he cannot do with it as he likes.

Yeah, pretty sure it was Marie Severin. Heard it from many sources who have been dealing in art since the 70s and 80s that she donated it.

The problem with Sevrin is that the donation was done in 2008, 6 months after she suffered a debilitating stroke. It's possible that John made the donation on her behalf but I'm just curious how she would have had the pages in the first place. AF 15 is not on Irene's inventory, so Marvel did not have it in the warehouse in 1980.

Lee makes the most sense, as he is the only person who could have made something that important disappear from the offices and not worried about getting caught.

I went to DC to have a look at the pages not too long after they were donated, I asked Sarah Duke, the curator if it was Marie Severin as I also though it was here because of her ties to Ditko. I also suspected it was here because of the fact there are only a few comic pages in the Library and some of them were drawn by Marien no Kirby, no Buscema...I figured Marie donated them together with the Ditko pages...

But the lady told me she couldn't deny or confirm if it was Marie and to the best of her knowledge Marie had never donated any art to the museum...

But my fellow collectors with me thought she was blowing smoke up our arses.

We talked a bit about the Marvel inventory and the stacks of missing pages and she had also heard the story of Gil Kane and the stacks of disappearing art from the Marvel offices hm