• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw ASM 11 9.6 (?) plus other nice books on eBay from new seller - legit?

74 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is being discussed anywhere else - I didn't see it.

ASM 11 - raw 9.6 (?)

This new seller is offering some nice SA books with no reserve, and this one, which had a reserve which has apparently been met. Now usually I'd ignore any of these types of listings but the wording of the writeups is certainly that of someone very familiar with the industry, and while the prose is perhaps a touch arrogant, it seems to come from an intelligent individual that I daresay seems legit. Not sure this book is a 9.6 - the wear on the top and bottom edges makes this more like a 9.0 or 9.2 to me - but what are your thoughts overall on this and the other listings? Is the single piece of feedback simply too much of a red flag to consider any of his items?

Personally I would avoid this book even with his "money back guarantee"

ASM 11 is one of the HARDEST ASM books to find in high grade, raw or slabbed.

I have owned 2 higher grade raw copies of ASM 11 and both ended up having restoration.

A feedback of 1 does not instill confidence in me but everyone does have to start somewhere on eBay and build up feedback but this is not the book to gamble on IMO.

All of his scans/pictures are different.

And he's selling Bitcoin.

Huge red flag.

Also, the ASM 11 is a 9.0 based on the scans due to bottom right corner and a couple of spine ticks assuming there is no tampering like trimmed, color touch , etc.

I was involved with a potentially huge scam attempt in Oregon a few years ago.

Literally a story for the ages.

There was a former FBI officer involved, etc. and long story short a guy out there was looking to have someone hand them a bag of cash for some books. I finally caught him doing something fraudulent and he disappeared.

This was in Eugene (but not the usual Eugene suspects).

Not sure if this person is based in Oregon or not but all the different pics along with fresh eBay account screams scam to me.

In the listing description, the seller makes reference to "social experiments", about knowing the process of submitting to CGC but not wanting to "wait to submit and have someone else tell me what I already know". He also mentions setting a reserve incorrectly and that he "reserve(s) the right to pull this listing 24 hours prior to closing" (which sounds like the classic way to send an offer outside of eBay to the high bidder, putting a buyer at risk without eBay's/PayPal's protections).

It all sounds fishy, and the presence of the Batman #1, the difference in scans, and the low feedback would be way too many red flags for me. I agree everyone starts somewhere, but as has been stated already by Jordysnordy, I wouldn't gamble at ALL here.

Nothing against Oregon as I think it is a beautiful state but the seller is about an hour from PGX shamquarters which always scares me (and, I know, I shouldn't let it but it plays at the back of my mind - kind of like Wilhelm Uthe, infamous scammer from Germany so I tend to avoid German sellers - sorry again no disrespect intended in my overt generalization).

Best advice -- Run run run run run run run. Then run a little more.

Stop, look back, then RUN and keep running man. Do not stop and go 'hey maybe I can get a deal here and make out like a bandit...' that's how they getcha. RUN