• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw ASM 11 9.6 (?) plus other nice books on eBay from new seller - legit?

74 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I actually found his auctions through a search for FF 17, a copy of which I'm seeking in the midgrade range. Honestly I would never consider paying more than $100 for a raw book on eBay from anyone but truly established sellers with positive reputations that extend to these boards, but the whole approach and inventory of this seller was fascinating to me.

Great call on the use of different types of photos as a major red flag... never really thought about that.

The raw books are all low rez images that looked like they've been cropped to the edge of the book, and the slabbed book scans have no continuity of background, one is a picture and not even a scan. New account and no seller feedback? You'd have be blindly optimistic to even bid on these books.

A lot of slabbed books I'm noticing ...... as for the ASM 11,looks 8.5 to me....almost textbook 8.5, maybe a 9.0 if CGC is in a good mood....... No insult meant to the seller, there's a LOT of sellers out there who aren't very good at grading.....especially when it's your own stuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A lot of slabbed books I'm noticing ...... as for the ASM 11,looks 8.5 to me....almost textbook 8.5, maybe a 9.0 if CGC is in a good mood....... No insult meant to the seller, there's a LOT of sellers out there who aren't very good at grading.....especially when it's your own stuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

Looks like a nice 8.5 (as long as it's unrestored)

Last #11 8.5 GPA is $1,500 and this is already at $2k.

Has anyone contacted this person? Have they given you a name or an alias yet?

His name is probably "Roy". lol I knew this was your fault, Roy.

:acclaim:

But seriously, I'm trying to determine what name/alias he is using in his replies and if it's the same person I dealt with nearly 3 years ago.

Ask yourself this - if YOU had this supposedly gem of a book... Would you really only post two "photos", both of which seem cropped? I personally would take full advantage of all 12 ebay photos to show it off.

Yeah, as others have said...nothing about this passes the sniff test. Run away.

The seller just replied with the following message regarding the ASM #13:

Revised listing and added back cover scan, this is one beautiful book.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, your frequent and high bids are very welcome :P

Take care

m

That cert# doesn't exist. I replied to the seller and let them know thats an invalid cert# so we'll see what happens. So far, I would say "Buyer Beware".

Let me know if I can be of further assistance, your frequent and high bids are very welcome :P

Take care

m

That cert# doesn't exist. I replied to the seller and let them know thats an invalid cert# so we'll see what happens. So far, I would say "Buyer Beware".

Here's the seller's reply... Judge for yourself:

-----------------------------------

Must be a CGC error , sometimes the very early census books are missed. If you would like I could give you a synopsis although not sure that will help with determining if you can get a 9.2 out of it.

I am here to help in anyway I can, once again thank you for you interest

Take care

m

Must be a CGC error , sometimes the very early census books are missed. If you would like I could give you a synopsis although not sure that will help with determining if you can get a 9.2 out of it.

Funny. I owned a book graded in 2000 and the CGC# was correct.

Take care

m

He did send me an up close image of the cert# so that is in fact what the label says. However, not compelling enough for me to bid. It smells sketchy to me.

Should ask for close up photos. If he has the book(s), then he should be able to provide them.

This was the up close photo of the cert# the seller sent me.

PekF61i.jpg

CGC# no longer is in the CGC Database as book was likely cracked/pressed and the old # removed from DB (when label was sent in) to make way for new #

What you likely have here is the pic of the "old label" now removed.

That was the case with my Tec 49 (graded in '04) as the original CGC# was removed and no longer available for lookup. It was part of an OO submission that went from issue 43-50. The CGC #s are all sequential but the old number for the 49 can no longer be found as it has a new CGC# (was cracked and pressed unfortunately and lost the original cert#)

The only other time a cert# cannot be found is if book has just been graded and cert not yet entered in the DB, which is not the case of the ASM.