• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #1 9.2 RUINED !!

17 posts in this topic

So, I've posted before about getting CGC books custom framed at Michaels Arts and Crafts. I've had seven done to date and they all look great custom matted behind U.V glass. They are proudly on display in my non window "man cave" safe and sound.

However, that was great up until yesterday . When I brought the book in to pick out the matting options just before Christmas, I repeated over and over NOT to take the book out of the CGC case when framing. I even said I was sorry for repeating myself but again stressed that the value of the comic is in large part the sealed certification. I also reminded them of the 7 previous CGC comics I had framed at the same store and how it was done.

I went to pick it up yesterday and there it was in it's raw beauty pressed tightly up to the UV glass like a grill cheese sandwich. Taped to the back of the frame were my CGC "parts" . The destroyed case , removed label , etc. All were kindly put aside for me in the off event that I wanted them as a reminder of the what it once was.

Obviously , I expressed my frustration and am now waiting to hear from the store's insurance adjuster. I guess we now have one less CGC 9.2 Iron Man #1 on the census.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully, you'll regrade it, get at least the same grade or maybe even a bump and if possible, if you decide to have them or another frame store do it again, stick to the same person every time you have work done. One person will usually remember exactly what you like from your last encounter. Good luck

It's too late, obviously, but I would have put a Post-It note on the slab itself that said "This comic book has been SEALED and CERTIFIED for insurance purposes - DO NOT REMOVE THE COMIC FROM THE CERTIFIED CASE!"

I would assume the person taking the book from my hand was never going to be the one putting it in the frame.

If you want to have your books framed, take a color copy of your book and frame that. That way your actual book is not in harms way. I cant imagine actually having a book like that exposed to light, no matter how much UV protection you have it will fade your book.

If you want to have your books framed, take a color copy of your book and frame that. That way your actual book is not in harms way. I cant imagine actually having a book like that exposed to light, no matter how much UV protection you have it will fade your book.

Yep.

Sorry man but it still may garner a 9.2 if resubbed even w/o a press. I would think they should reimburse all shipping/slabbing costs and even potential loss if it doesn't come back at least a 9.2. Plus a return on what you paid for the framing.

I like what Bob said, put a stickie on the slab and also make sure they write the specific instructions on their order sheet as well, in case it comes down to being reimbursed based on your word and they deny you told them. Always in writing.

I just hope they didn't trim it during the matting :P

Good luck.

Never understood the need to frame and display books. That's what scans and posters are for.

I have 10 of Gweedo's frames and display different books, changing them up throughout the year. Mine are in a room in the house that gets very little use, and I have blackout curtains to cover the windows. I'd say they're exposed to light from light bulbs maybe 5 to 10 hours a month.

Never understood the need to frame and display books. That's what scans and posters are for.

Me neither.

And this is going to sound unsympathetic, but Michaels is the McDonalds/Burger King of the framing world. I've had them frame $20-$40 posters, but I'd never hand over something like an $1800 comic book or piece of original art. Unless you're in the sticks and don't have any other options, look for a good, reputable local framer.

Me neither.

And this is going to sound unsympathetic, but Michaels is the McDonalds/Burger King of the framing world. I've had them frame $20-$40 posters, but I'd never hand over something like an $1800 comic book or piece of original art. Unless you're in the sticks and don't have any other options, look for a good, reputable local framer.

I've had them frame some pretty nice stuff without ANY issues. Sure, I could pay quadruple the price and use a good, reputable local frame...but my Mcdonalds framer has worked out pretty well for me. (thumbs u

Hopefully Michael's insurance rates are better than Hobby Lobby's. When I have dropped off art there to have framed, their max insurance was something like $250. Maybe Michaels isn't as cheap. Good luck!

I'm still waiting to hear from their insurance adjuster. I thought about getting the book resubmitted but that will be their job if it comes to it. I'm not going to do a thing as it's now on them to make it right .I even told them to keep the book and it now sits in the managers office. He can do whatever he wants with it . It has no real value to me now without the sealed CGC 9.2. I came in with a 9.2 CGC Iron Man #1 and I anticipate either cash equivalent compensation or a new one without any onus on me including sending it back to CGC. In the end I really hope for a smooth and quick resolution to this.

As for the concern about framing a comic in the first place I had the same fears in the beginning. However, they way I look at it as a casual collector is that the comic is the artwork. I want to view my purchase as a framed piece of artwork and see it no differently than buying an actual painting. I'm not one bit concerned about the value of the book in 50 years when I'm not around to enjoy it. I can and will enjoy it now.

As for fading that is more hype that reality , if properly done and out of sunlight there won't be a problem. I've had comics worth thousands on display behind U.V glass in rooms without sunlight for about 8 years without issue. Every art exhibit in the world has artwork on display on a daily basis , the value of some pieces makes most comics look insignificant. In my experience if done properly no issues but others are free to take another position.

As for Michales being the Mcdonalds of framing, everyone has their own opinion but I can tell you up until this disaster the final product has been equal to or better than other custom framers I have used and paid more for.

Looking at it now with a cooler perspective it would have be great to have a video of that poor lady framer hacking away at the CGC case thinking she was doing an excellent job destroying the CGC holder to "free" the comic book only to reseal it again inside a frame.