• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern variant values... finding the logic?

138 posts in this topic

That is what my point was. If it is a Modern Collectible and is hot now, sell. You think that this comic will be in an auction house, sitting next to a blue chip key someday....dream on.

I need to get some lotto numbers from you.

Jerome

That's fine. But it's the early 1990's all over again, the only difference is that the print runs are smaller. When the market corrects itself, the Modern stuff is the first to take the hit.

So it's like the 90s but print runs are smaller. That is a big difference IMO

That is what my point was. If it is a Modern Collectible and is hot now, sell. You think that this comic will be in an auction house, sitting next to a blue chip key someday....dream on.

I need to get some lotto numbers from you.

Jerome

That's fine. But it's the early 1990's all over again, the only difference is that the print runs are smaller. When the market corrects itself, the Modern stuff is the first to take the hit.

So it's like the 90s but print runs are smaller. That is a big difference IMO

The number of collectors is also smaller.

And the number of local comic shops has gotten smaller

And the number of people buying print books in general have gotten smaller

And the number of people interested in variants is not as big as you want to believe

But the number of speculators evidently remains the same. Enjoy the shark feeding frenzy, while I remain on shore, with my shorts intact. This amazing variant craze shall pass.

And the number of people interested in variants is not as big as you want to believe

But the number of speculators evidently remains the same. Enjoy the shark feeding frenzy, while I remain on shore, with my shorts intact. This amazing variant craze shall pass.

It's been 15 years already. 15 years of variants being produced. Some will rise. Most will fall. A few will transcend. This is inevitable and is already happening.

But sure, let's keep making fanciful guesses and short sided "predictions" that ignore all of comics history because evidently you derive some enjoyment from stating the same opinion over and over again. (thumbs u

-J.

:gossip: Even a lot of that over-produced, mass printed drek from the nineties is worth something too again.

It's been 15 years already. 15 years of variants being produced. Some will rise. Most will fall. A few will transcend. This is inevitable and is already happening.

But sure, let's keep making fanciful guesses and short sided "predictions" that ignore all of comics history because evidently you derive some enjoyment from stating the same opinion over and over again. (thumbs u

-J.

:gossip: Even a lot of that over-produced, mass printed drek from the nineties is worth something too again.

It's just another interesting market to watch.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over it.

("My Iron-man 1, FF 1 should be worth more than that modern "manufactured" collectible yadda yadda yadda")

I don't see the variant market going away anymore than some of the other aspects of the hobby. Although while I do consider it to be the most volatile market, there will be top high demand material rising to the top just like the other markets.

Play or get out of the Kitchen. ;)

-J.

It's just another interesting market to watch.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over it.

("My Iron-man 1, FF 1 should be worth more than that modern "manufactured" collectible yadda yadda yadda")

I don't see the variant market going away anymore than some of the other aspects of the hobby. Although while I do consider it to be the most volatile market, there will be top high demand material rising to the top just like the other markets.

Play or get out of the Kitchen. ;)

+1

Well said. :applause:

-J.

-J.

And your opinion on the matter is so full of diversity.

Yes, we get it , you have a copy. Big Congrats. Put it away in a safe. Retire on it.

They must have printed a butt load of Italian versions of this, because there are 5 on ebay right now (not selling for between $50 to $100). We all know how crazy the Italians are with their Modern Variant Comics. I am sure the printer went crazy when they put the Italian version on the press, then cut it short, (or ran out of paper, or lost power), when the English version went on. Anyway.....enjoy. :wishluck:

-J.

Yes, we get it , you have a copy. Big Congrats. Put it away in a safe. Retire on it.

They must have printed a butt load of Italian versions of this, because there are 5 on ebay right now (not selling for between $50 to $100). We all know how crazy the Italians are with their Modern Variant Comics. I am sure the printer went crazy when they put the Italian version on the press, then cut it short, (or ran out of paper, or lost power), when the English version went on. Anyway.....enjoy. :wishluck:

Are you confusing a Marvel comic with a foreign licensed reprint from Panini?

-J.

I had a Panini last night. It cost a fortune, but we had a groupon. It had Truffle oil and imported 26 month aged ham of some sort.

-J.

Just being sarcastic. I saw the Panini on the front.

-J.

How long has the 'rare variant for big money' market been a thing? Has anyone tracked when the first one broke $1000, $2000, $3000, and so on?

How long has the 'rare variant for big money' market been a thing? Has anyone tracked when the first one broke $1000, $2000, $3000, and so on?

Ultimate Spider-man #1 White Variant (2000) might be the first purposefully manufactured one that got that big soon after printing. GPA shows it hitting $1,400 in 2004... but it might have been big in 2001 or so.

Batman #608 RRP passed $2,400 in 2003 according to GPA... so that one was an instant big deal.

Bloodshot #0 Platinum (1994, seems to be something the printing team did without permission, a test run, or an "accident" if the gold ink layer ran out... it's chromium) sold for over $2,000 in 2004, and over $5,000 in 2008. It wasn't discovered (as a variant that shouldn't exist) until around 2001 or 2002.

Spider-man #1 Platinum and Superman #75 Platinum didn't ever approach $1,000 (or even $500) 'back in the day' in the 1990s, as far as I know.

There are older "variant" books that have passed $1,000... but I don't believe they did so until long after their print dates (Maxx Ashcan Black, for example).

Star Wars #1 35-cent wasn't intended to be anything special, so it's an older variant that easily passed $1,000 years ago... but it wasn't manufactured to reward retailers, which I think is what we're discussing.

...if you are still trying to figure out why the ASM 667 sells for what it does, take it back to basics and the answer is obvious: It's a late run Spider-Man variant that few shops ordered, and after six years only has 29 slabs on the census, in spite of its eye popping sales prices. That's just 29 slabs, 5 a year. 5 slabs a year for a Spider-Man comic. 29 total slabs for a Spider-Man comic .

That fact alone will ring the dinner bell for deep pockets.

-J.

Exactly. The uber rare. For example, if more people knew about the somewhat obscure Bloodshot #0 Platinum (I purchased the last one privately 4 months ago), the sale price would sky rocket.

Spider-man #1 Platinum and Superman #75 Platinum didn't ever approach $1,000 (or even $500) 'back in the day' in the 1990s, as far as I know.

I wouldn't be so sure about the Spidey #1 Platinum Edition. :gossip:

Although I am not sure if they actually ever sold for that price, I still remember quite a few dealers trying to ask $1K for this book at my first SD Con back in 1991. Of course, there's a big difference between asking and actually completing the sale.

I remember one dealer told me that since McFarlane was the biggest artist around and Spidey was the #1 comic book character at the time, that if I didn't pick this rare book up for one grand, I would never ever see it at this price again.

Being the fool that I was, I decided to go against his advice and ended up picking up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 and 31 instead for the same $1,000. Later on, when the dealer noticed that I had picked up the 2 Caps instead of the Spidey Platinum, he laughed and said that I had missed my big chance and I would never see my thousand dollars again as nobody would want these books in a few years when all of the old time collectors died off.

Looks like he was right on both counts there:

1) The McFarlane Spidey Platinum is certainly not at $1,000 again, :tonofbricks: and

2) The 2 Caps are also certainly not at a thousand dollars anymore. :whee:

I wouldn't be so sure about the Spidey #1 Platinum Edition. :gossip:

Although I am not sure if they actually ever sold for that price, I still remember quite a few dealers trying to ask $1K for this book at my first SD Con back in 1991. Of course, there's a big difference between asking and actually completing the sale.

I remember one dealer told me that since McFarlane was the biggest artist around and Spidey was the #1 comic book character at the time, that if I didn't pick this rare book up for one grand, I would never ever see it at this price again.

Being the fool that I was, I decided to go against his advice and ended up picking up uber HG copies of Captain America 29 and 31 instead for the same $1,000. Later on, when the dealer noticed that I had picked up the 2 Caps instead of the Spidey Platinum, he laughed and said that I had missed my big chance and I would never see my thousand dollars again as nobody would want these books in a few years when all of the old time collectors died off.

Looks like he was right on both counts there:

1) The McFarlane Spidey Platinum is certainly not at $1,000 again, :tonofbricks: and

2) The 2 Caps are also certainly not at a thousand dollars anymore. :whee:

That just illustrates a very basic tenet of collecting and how collectibles are valued. The "new way of valuing things" always reverts back: original and oldest and best condition are always best.

Back in the day I always wanted ASM 129. Instead I could only afford 135. Today 129 is 100x that original price and 135 is 4 or 5x.