• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern variant values... finding the logic?

138 posts in this topic

One point of note... we don't even really have any hard evidence that the $9,000 sale happened (as far as I know). It was a private deal.

The documented data we have is around half that price, for whatever that is worth. Even then, most have a problem reconciling it.

It just is what it is, I argue you can't really justify it... for instance, considering this formula, lets say the last successful sale was $4,500... and then the very next one goes for $9,000. I mean, how does that make much sense? :shrug:

People have money, people see something they want, people buy it for the price it is available at. I just read in modern where someone attempted to buy a $5,000 modern variant using PayPal credit. Buyers like that are probably not the most financially sound.

Correction- it was a "private sale" until it was made public. But Private sales happen all the time, them not being on GPA doesn't mean they didn't happen. GPA doesn't report most comic book sales (and reports a lot of fake ones from ebay, which, yes they do the best they can to monitor). Most comic books sales are private anyway. Plenty happen here on these boards everyday. The last sale on GPA was $4000 for a 9.6 seven months ago. The last raw sale was $2500 last March. This was the first public sale of a 9.8 in four years. $9k might turn out to be a bargain if another 9.8 isn't offered for another four years.

-J.

Some collectors (many collectors in fact) of the MA prize rarity above all else.

I don't disagree with most of what you've said - people buy things for illogical reasons, and the sums they spend are subjective based on their ability. But this bit of what you said about rarity just isn't true. Comic collectors, even niche groups, have never been driven primarily by rarity. This book in question isn't even primarily an example of that - it's the title / character and cover artist primarily, at least according to so many posts about it in modern.

Having said that... human nature implies no one wants to be burned, so no one is going to vastly overpay (in their own mind) for something unless they want it on the level of compulsion... so all of this talk about the 'worth' of the book is a good conversation to have so people are at least forced to think about what others think about these things. Another perspective is always good before making a large purchase, at least, in my opinion.

One point of note... we don't even really have any hard evidence that the $9,000 sale happened (as far as I know). It was a private deal.

The documented data we have is around half that price, for whatever that is worth. Even then, most have a problem reconciling it.

It just is what it is, I argue you can't really justify it... for instance, considering this formula, lets say the last successful sale was $4,500... and then the very next one goes for $9,000. I mean, how does that make much sense? :shrug:

People have money, people see something they want, people buy it for the price it is available at. I just read in modern where someone attempted to buy a $5,000 modern variant using PayPal credit. Buyers like that are probably not the most financially sound.

Correction- it was a "private sale" until it was made public. But Private sales happen all the time, them not being on GPA doesn't mean they didn't happen. GPA doesn't report most comic book sales (and reports a lot of fake ones from ebay, which, yes they do the best they can to monitor). Most comic books sales are private anyway. Plenty happen here on these boards everyday. The last sale on GPA was $4000 for a 9.6 seven months ago. The last raw sale was $2500 last March. This was the first public sale of a 9.8 in four years. $9k might turn out to be a bargain if another 9.8 isn't offered for another four years.

-J.

Yeah, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. But it doesn't mean it did either. There's some disparity in the record of even recorded public sales, but in general, they're far more trustworthy than a person showing up on a forum and saying they sold X book for $Y. That's all.

-J.

Yeah, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. But it doesn't mean it did either. There's some disparity in the record of even recorded public sales, but in general, they're far more trustworthy than a person showing up on a forum and saying they sold X book for $Y. That's all.

lol He has no reason to lie. His book is sold and he's cashed out his PayPal funds. He has no reason to post his bank account information to "prove" anything to anybody. It is what it is. Essentially calling a boardie a liar is poor form, IMO. There are only 7 records of sales of the book in six years. It's like that because the book is rare and rarely offered for sale. Hence why a 9.8, first in 4 years, sold for $9k. But please , let's continue this latest cry-athon over what the ASM 667 sells for a little longer....

-J.

There seem to be a couple of tiny voices attempting to speak for very large amounts of people.

...and one of them signs his posts:

-J.

And that cannot be quantified with cute equations and "logic". (thumbs u

-J.

In the future, researchers studying this forum will successfully petition medical science to rename it the Dunning-Kruger-Jdogrules Effect.

Congrats, in advance. You'll be famous.

-J.

lol He has no reason to lie. His book is sold and he's cashed out his PayPal funds. He has no reasom to post his bank account information to "prove" anything to anybody. It is what it is. Essentially calling a boardie a liar is poor form, IMO. There are only 7 records of sales of the book in six years. It's like that because the book is rare. Hence why a 9.8, first in 4 years, sold for $9k.

-J.

I'm not saying he is lying, it isn't anything personal. I'm just saying something on the public record is generally taken more seriously.

If you don't understand the distinction, this may just be one of those topics where I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall with you, but I have to assume you understand what I mean on some level.

-J.

lol He has no reason to lie. His book is sold and he's cashed out his PayPal funds. He has no reason to post his bank account information to "prove" anything to anybody. It is what it is. Essentially calling a boardie a liar is poor form, IMO. There are only 7 records of sales of the book in six years. It's like that because the book is rare and rarely offered for sale. Hence why a 9.8, first in 4 years, sold for $9k. But please , let's continue this latest cry-athon over what the ASM 667 sells for a little longer....

-J.

Sure he has a reason. If you read cmzare's posts he seems very willing to disclose details that support the price he paid or the price paid to him...he typed out the offers he received and posted them here.

The money doesn't need to be in his account, he can just take a pic of his transaction history with an amount paid to him of 9K and post an unedited pic - it'd take 10 seconds to put some post its on the screen covering up whatever personal details he doesn't want shared.

He can't because it didn't happen...but "you know" he withdrew the balance. lol

Just as the party who sold it to him told you the amount & outed him as the buyer. lol

Just like the 4K sale seven months ago that never received buyer feedback. lol

-J.

-J.

Sure he has a reason. If you read cmzare's posts he seems very willing to disclose details that support the price he paid or the price paid to him...he typed out the offers he received and posted them here.

The money doesn't need to be in his account, he can just take a pic of his transaction history with an amount paid to him of 9K and post an unedited pic - it'd take 10 seconds to put some post its on the screen covering up whatever personal details he doesn't want shared.

Just as the party who sold it to him told you the amount & outed him as the buyer. lol

Now you're just being tacky dude. :eyeroll:

You are so obviously and badly out in the cold on this you don't even know what to do with yourself anymore.

You really should find something else to cry about.

-J.

-J.

-J.

You are so obviously and badly out in the cold on this you don't even know what to do with yourself anymore.

-J.

You made a claim that he withdrew the balance, the funds don't need to be in the account.

If he is friendly enough to share his Paypal withdrawal habits with you surely he'll help you shove this "fact" up the collective butts of all the haters.

:popcorn:

-J.

-J.

-J.

You made a claim that he withdrew the balance, the funds don't need to be in the account.

If he is friendly enough to share his Paypal withdrawal habits with you surely he'll help you shove this "fact" up the collective butts of all the haters.

If you're so arrogant as to believe that anybody needs to "prove" anything at all to you, why don't you just PM him directly and ask him yourself.

Because now you're just being tacky.

-J.

It doesn't matter anyway, it's just a number on a screen, that sort of proof isn't very meaningful either. The reason I even brought it up is because a public transaction implies a trusted third party. That's it, not to cause this sort of argument... just that people should be aware that these sort of things are often just word of mouth reports. Take that and consider it however you think it should be considered.

-J.

-J.

-J.

If you're so arrogant as to believe that anybody needs to "prove" anything at all to you, why don't you just PM him directly and ask him yourself.

-J.

No, he's your friend. I don't know him...he tells you things and confides in you. I'm pretty sure most sellers wouldn't want someone blurting out publicly that they withdraw large Paypal payments from their account prior to delivering an item satisfactorily.....that's what fraudsters do when they run AF15 scams.

I think when you contact him you should apologize for that and then ask him to help you out with this pic of his screen.

-J.

-J.

-J.

-J.

No, he's your friend. I don't know him...he tells you things and confides in you. I'm pretty sure most sellers wouldn't want someone blurting out publicly that they withdraw large Paypal payments from their account prior to delivering an item satisfactorily.....that's what fraudsters do when they run AF15 scams.

I think when you contact him you should apologize for that and then ask him to help you out with this pic of his screen.

Nice deflection.

But you're still being tacky. (thumbs u

Keep crying....

-J.

Modern Variant Comic Books are the rare Cabbage Patch Doll/Beanie Baby/Danbury Mint Collector Plates of comics. Manufactured Collectibles, worth a fraction of the price days/weeks/months/20 years later.

The test of time will level this thing off to more realistic levels.

Sell now, laugh to the bank., then go to church and thank your personal Jesus.

Modern Variant Comic Books are the rare Cabbage Patch Doll/Beanie Baby/Danbury Mint Collector Plates of comics. Manufactured Collectibles, worth a fraction of the price days/weeks/months/20 years later.

The test of time will level this thing off to more realistic levels.

Sell now, laugh to the bank., then go to church and thank your personal Jesus.

Thanks Yoda.

See you in 20 years. (thumbs u

-J.

It doesn't matter anyway, it's just a number on a screen, that sort of proof isn't very meaningful either. The reason I even brought it up is because a public transaction implies a trusted third party. That's it, not to cause this sort of argument... just that people should be aware that these sort of things are often just word of mouth reports. Take that and consider it however you think it should be considered.

:gossip: that's all U.S. currency has been since 1971.

:gossip: that's all U.S. currency has been since 1971.

:facepalm:

I really don't understand the thrust of this thread either.

[snip]

:hi:7 Obvious Points That Makes This Conversation Pointless/i] :hi:

[end snip]

-J

I wondered when you would show up.

You don't get it. It's not the first time. See you later. :hi:

Nice avoidance. (thumbs u

-J.

Regular copies of #667 are $4. You didn't include that fact in your 7 Points... so you haven't read my first post.

A $4 regular issue and a $9000 variant... if someone were to make a General poll re: is this stupid vs. awesome, the results won't be close. I may be pushed over the edge to do so. :angel:

Welcome to collecting comic book collecting. :foryou:

Start 100 polls. It won't do anything to affect the value of the ASM 667 either way. It was going for thousands of dollars before you even knew what it was

(Just thought I'd put that out there since that appears to be your agenda. :tonofbricks: )

-J.

Welcome to a supreme "outlier" (that is a euphemism) sale. No agendas. Feel free to get additional copies for 9.5k Keep alienatin'. Just don't want to see this become a regular occurrence for the whole of the Modern hobby. ;)

What's my agenda ? I own a copy. I'm a fan of the artist and the book. I've exhaustively researched this one particular book. I like talking about things I like and own. You evidently like talking about things you don't like and don't own.

Odd. hm

-J.

I wasn't saying you had an agenda kiddo, was responding to your gazillionth assumption... :-* <3 That's funny, I've also had plenty of praise for things I don't own. And this is a sweet cover/variant, and I'm glad boardies I like such as Lethal Protector own a copy. Trumpeting a baseless 9k sale as the second coming is just boorish, though; haven't seen him do it. ;)

Nope, and I won't. I just make note of it and hope the trend continues. I couldn't get in on the 'ground floor' for the really nice GA/SA books I adore, so I'm gambling on the MA books may build up steam over the next 20 years. It's risky, very risky, but the money I've spent on them is from a side business/jobs/contract IT work, not my main job, so my wife and I agreed if they go in the toilet, just get what I can out of them.

Jerome