• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists that are really garbage ...(or artists you don't like)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

wow, i think a lot of these guys had their good times

I thought Robbins stuff on the Invaders made my eyes bleed as did his other 70s stuff, but then someone posted some crime noire pages from the 50s and I kind of liked them

Mignola I dislike for super heroes, but it works on Hellboy

Frank Miller has some downright atrocious panels in his DD days, followed by some great panels a page away

Even Liefield has some redeeming stuff early on when his figures did not suffer from bizarre disproportion

Sal Buscema is one of my most disliked artists in the 90s...but he was just mediocre in the 80s and I like some of his 70s stuff

Herb Trimpe has grown on me.

While it's true, some of these guys mainly found work because they could meet a deadline, but most of them had some period where their stuff was decent and they were able to ride that for a few more decades.

Edited by the blob

I don't understand people hate Greg Land I think he's great. I have an original page and its amazing. So he traces-guess what-many many artists trace. Big deal. There's a huge step from tracing to making a solid piece-ask any non artist to try it-it will look awful. Hell ask most artists to do it-it will still look awful.

I recall seeing this on him a while ago - http://comicvine.gamespot.com/greg-land/4040-2064/forums/greg-lands-art-why-i-hate-it-take-178-407907/

That guy contradicts himself like crazy. 'Greg land traces' 'Greg land can't draw the human body'. If he's tracing, all the body parts are in the right place for sure. Then he dissects till he can find minute errors-news flash you can do this with absolutely any artist you choose.

a lot of artists trace or use projectors, not just freehand. nowadays i guess computers can help. many painters who do amazingly realistic paintings are doing it by projecting images on the canvas and basically painting over them. this guy, who my father knew wayyyy back when (both were born in washington heights, ny in the 20s, but i don't think that's why they knew each other), made a nice living do that. He did a lot of Doc Savage and pulp type stuff before focusing on being a western artist. he's in his 90s now and still cranking away:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bama

I thought Robbins stuff on the Invaders made my eyes bleed as did his other 70s stuff, but then someone posted some crime noire pages from the 50s and I kind of liked them

Frank Miller has some downright atrocious panels in his DD days, followed by some great panels a page away

Even Liefield has some redeeming stuff early on when his figures did not suffer from bizarre disproportion

Sal Buscema is one of my most disliked artists in the 90s...but he was just mediocre in the 80s and I like some of his 70s stuff

While it's true, some of these guys mainly found work because they could meet a deadline, but most of them had some period where their stuff was decent and they were able to ride that for a few more decades.

Pretty much agree with this, there are plenty of artists who did solid and even excellent work at some point in their careers, but are better known by superhero fans for their lesser material. Others just have a style that is not for everyone, and others still were journeymen illustrators who were competent but not much more. I have to disagree on Liefeld though, his stuff was so atrocious in his "prime", that it doesn't matter if he ever draws with even a modicum of competence, it's all tainted by association.

I don't understand people hate Greg Land I think he's great. I have an original page and its amazing. So he traces-guess what-many many artists trace. Big deal. There's a huge step from tracing to making a solid piece-ask any non artist to try it-it will look awful. Hell ask most artists to do it-it will still look awful.

I recall seeing this on him a while ago - http://comicvine.gamespot.com/greg-land/4040-2064/forums/greg-lands-art-why-i-hate-it-take-178-407907/

That guy contradicts himself like crazy. 'Greg land traces' 'Greg land can't draw the human body'. If he's tracing, all the body parts are in the right place for sure. Then he dissects till he can find minute errors-news flash you can do this with absolutely any artist you choose.

I only linked it for the images. I think the problem with tracing is what your sources are. At some point, it is stealing from your peers.

Still getting work? Well, that knocks off Ditko...

Hmmm.... Liefeld I don't think has ever done a single image that I liked..

That's all I got... even Kirby had a few panels I could appreciate... but, yeah, Liefeld, nothing.

How can you be a Horror fan and not like something like this cover by Ditko?

thismagazineishaunted16.jpg

None of the artists mentioned are 'garbage', they all have their positive and negative aspects from different points in their career.

Generally speaking, failed artists will always be the one's who criticize pros the most.

Title of the thread should've been 'Artists who's style I don't like.'

Pretty much agree with this, there are plenty of artists who did solid and even excellent work at some point in their careers, but are better known by superhero fans for their lesser material. Others just have a style that is not for everyone, and others still were journeymen illustrators who were competent but not much more. I have to disagree on Liefeld though, his stuff was so atrocious in his "prime", that it doesn't matter if he ever draws with even a modicum of competence, it's all tainted by association.

I sort of remember thinking the art on Hawk & Dove was not bad.

Still getting work? Well, that knocks off Ditko...

Hmmm.... Liefeld I don't think has ever done a single image that I liked..

That's all I got... even Kirby had a few panels I could appreciate... but, yeah, Liefeld, nothing.

How can you be a Horror fan and not like something like this cover by Ditko?

thismagazineishaunted16.jpg

Ditko produced some fine work. Some of his 70s Charlton stuff was bleh, but I suspect he was just trying to pay the rent at that point.

Karl Kessel did the inking on that title if I remember correctly; I also remember reading how he corrected alot of Liefeld's pencils

Karl Kessel did the inking on that title if I remember correctly; I also remember reading how he corrected alot of Liefeld's pencils

I did get those Hawk and Dove books at the time, thinking I saw some potential in Liefeld, but I was more than likely, in retrospect, mainly responding to the corrections made by someone more experienced than him. I did buy his New Mutants run on the strength of that but quickly went off his style, managing to dodge both X-Force and Youngblood.