• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists that are really garbage ...(or artists you don't like)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

Lots of talented artists at DC during that time period, for example...

John Byrne

Jerry Ordway

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Adam and Andy Kubert

Mike Mignola

Kelley Jones

Kevin Maguire

Adam Hughes

Norm Breyfogle

Stuart Immonen

Lee Moder

Chris Sprouse

Tim Truman

Kyle Baker

Mike Parobeck

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 2/4/2018 at 8:36 AM, comicstock said:

James Bama used model Steve Holland for his Doc Savage Bantam paperback covers painting.  He's been legally blind for years and hasn't 'cranked' anything out, to my knowledge.

my apologies. he was still cranking last time I spoke to my father about him, but dad has been dead for 11 years and was severely brain damaged for a few years before that, so I guess it has been a while

I don't really have any grudges to bare with artists. But Eric Larson did charge me $20 to sign 4 walking dead variants at a show he was supposed to sign for free and and just because he was cranky in the morning.

Funny...I signature made the books worth less...hahaha

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

John Byrne

Jerry Ordway

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Adam and Andy Kubert

Mike Mignola

Kelley Jones

Kevin Maguire

Adam Hughes

Norm Breyfogle

Stuart Immonen

Lee Moder

Chris Sprouse

Tim Truman

Kyle Baker

Mike Parobeck

Don't forget Travis Charest - a stunning artist who left for Europe, and gets too little love back home.

23 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

John Byrne

Jerry Ordway

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez

Adam and Andy Kubert

Mike Mignola

Kelley Jones

Kevin Maguire

Adam Hughes

Norm Breyfogle

Stuart Immonen

Lee Moder

Chris Sprouse

Tim Truman

Kyle Baker

Mike Parobeck

I rebut:

image.png.79db7cc6788ac29020bbb2175be1c09a.png

6 hours ago, cupny said:

Gil Kane.  There, I said it.

A year or so I read Green Lantern from 1 - about 120.  The early issues drawn by Gil Kane struck me strangely.  His faces threw me off, especially his ability, or lack of, to draw GL's face and mask and make it look right.  

Imagine being employed at Marvel as an artist in the 90's after the Image guys left. Brrrr..

With deadlines and bad stories. What about bi-weekly books. That would suck.

The only thing I didn't like was when artists would think they were so good they could now ink themselves or just stop penciling altogether and just go straight inks.  I'm thinking of Byrne at the end of FF or Perez after Teen Titans. Still masters but just so rushed.

I don't think Kane is a terrible artist, but clearly has a style which is Marmite, polarising.

He's done some nice work, especially with a well-matched inker, such as John Romita Snr, Wally Wood, P. Craig Russell, or Klaus Janson, and, in this last case, produced a result very close to Miller and Janson's very much more popular Bronze Age combination.   Miller was heavily influenced by him, and not averse to drawing an occasional Kane-like, nasal, camera angle image himself.

13 hours ago, Alf Pogs said:

Imagine being employed at Marvel as an artist in the 90's after the Image guys left. Brrrr..

With deadlines and bad stories. What about bi-weekly books. That would suck.

The only thing I didn't like was when artists would think they were so good they could now ink themselves or just stop penciling altogether and just go straight inks.  I'm thinking of Byrne at the end of FF or Perez after Teen Titans. Still masters but just so rushed.

Lots of work for people who might not have been getting as much before? Kept sal buscema and herb trimpe employed a bit longer.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:14 AM, oakman29 said:

I know this is going to sound like blasphemy,  but Frank Miller's more recent stuff is pathetic.  Give me the days of his greatness , Sin City, Daredevil. That All Star Batman was garbage.

I thought his Master Race stuff was just so ugly....Hard to find much redeeming about it to me.

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I don't think Kane is a terrible artist, but clearly has a style which is Marmite, polarising.

He's done some nice work, especially with a well-matched inker, such as John Romita Snr, Wally Wood, P. Craig Russell, or Klaus Janson, and, in this last case, produced a result very close to Miller and Janson's very much more popular Bronze Age combination.   Miller was heavily influenced by him, and not averse to drawing an occasional Kane-like, nasal, camera angle image himself.

one thing I always appreciated about Kane's art is proportionally he was usually very spot on. Anatomy mattered to his art, unlike others.

8 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

Who did Uncanny X-Men during that awful manga-ish period? You know, when Angel was hooking up with Husk even though she was underage?

That artist.

I think you're referring to Kia Asimiya. Phillip Tan was also on the book around then, and I think his style then may have also had a manga influence? I really don't want to pull them and check. That's an era I'd rather just forget. 9_9

38 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I think you're referring to Kia Asimiya. Phillip Tan was also on the book around then, and I think his style then may have also had a manga influence? I really don't want to pull them and check. That's an era I'd rather just forget. 9_9

8 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

Who did Uncanny X-Men during that awful manga-ish period? You know, when Angel was hooking up with Husk even though she was underage?

That artist.

Salvador Larocca?

He was the artist for Angel and Husk story.

salvador.jpg

salvador 2.jpg

Edited by Artboy99