• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists that are really garbage ...(or artists you don't like)
2 2

133 posts in this topic

I sort of remember thinking the art on Hawk & Dove was not bad.

Karl Kessel did the inking on that title if I remember correctly; I also remember reading how he corrected alot of Liefeld's pencils

I did get those Hawk and Dove books at the time, thinking I saw some potential in Liefeld, but I was more than likely, in retrospect, mainly responding to the corrections made by someone more experienced than him. I did buy his New Mutants run on the strength of that but quickly went off his style, managing to dodge both X-Force and Youngblood.

McFarlane inked some of his earlier New Mutants covers and they looked pretty good, which may have helped attract early interest in his style.

Jeff Matsuda, his work on Xfactor in the late 90's/early 2000's made me stop buying that title.

Absolutely love his work, IMO it's a shame he didn't do more comic work before leaving for animation. I can easily understand someone not liking his style, though. It's definitely a love or leave it.

I sort of remember thinking the art on Hawk & Dove was not bad.

Karl Kessel did the inking on that title if I remember correctly; I also remember reading how he corrected alot of Liefeld's pencils

I did get those Hawk and Dove books at the time, thinking I saw some potential in Liefeld, but I was more than likely, in retrospect, mainly responding to the corrections made by someone more experienced than him. I did buy his New Mutants run on the strength of that but quickly went off his style, managing to dodge both X-Force and Youngblood.

McFarlane inked some of his earlier New Mutants covers and they looked pretty good, which may have helped attract early interest in his style.

McFarlane's inking tends to dominate the pencils on anyone he inks. Those early NM's he inked look as much McFarlane as they do Liefeld.

Kevin Nowlan

His cover of New Mutants 51 is gawdawful. No idea how he got a job as an artist.

See, I love Nowlan too!

So, JR Jr, Nowlan, several others mentioned in this thread are favorites of mine. So the question is: do I have taste, or are all of you nuts? hm

On 1/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, Tony D said:

How can you be a Horror fan and not like something like this cover by Ditko?

thismagazineishaunted16.jpg

Well, the IDEA is good horror, the composition and details are pretty rank... badly drawn good idea is still bad art.

On 1/22/2017 at 7:21 PM, kav said:

The thing with schultz is he drew so effortlessly it looks simple and easy to accomplish. That's deceptive it is extremely hard to draw that effortlessly.

100% correct. Charles Shultz was a .master. 

On 1/23/2017 at 10:59 AM, Chuck Gower said:

None of the artists mentioned are 'garbage', they all have their positive and negative aspects from different points in their career.

Generally speaking, failed artists will always be the one's who criticize pros the most.

Title of the thread should've been 'Artists who's style I don't like.'

Wiser words could not be said. 

Though I really hate that Oakman character, his art sucks.:p

I'm not going to say any artist is terrible. It is all a matter of taste and opinion.

That being said, when I was buying marvel books there was a single artist that led to me ending my ASM run.

Humberto Ramos. I couldn't stand trying to look at it, and follow it. I get that it is heavily stylized, but I couldn't enjoy it. In fact,

the art got in the way of me even reading the panels.

On 1/23/2017 at 4:54 PM, Gsims718 said:

John Romita JR.

Absolutely love SR, and don't get how JR still gets work. I guess he doesn't miss deadlines...

As said before. I will not buy anything he currently works on and was glad to see his insufferable work headed to dc. His art is very lazy and everything looks the same.  And has for many many years. Without a costume on his drawings you couldn't tell the difference from one character to the next. Everything looks all stretched out and his joint areas (knees , elbows, etc )are worse than rob liefields feet. His time on daddy's coattails were up a long time ago. I feel bad for all that like his current work. You need help :bigsmile:

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Mignola - Never could like his stuff.. How he has made it big with stuff like Hellboy amazes me.

Now see, I really appreciate his work. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but are we all united with Leifield?

14 minutes ago, oakman29 said:
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Mignola - Never could like his stuff.. How he has made it big with stuff like Hellboy amazes me.

Now see, I really appreciate his work. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but are we all united with Leifield?

Mignola is probably the only modern artist that I buy everything he does - to me, his art is absolutely unique and stunning.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Mignola is probably the only modern artist that I buy everything he does - to me, his art is absolutely unique and stunning.

I agree.

One of my all time favorites. 

Edited by oakman29