• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Calgary Comic Expo (April 27-30)
1 1

338 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

In process of building lighter weight comic wall racks this Easter weekend. This is the smaller side wall rack that is 5' wide. Just have to add the lateral fishing line to prevent mylared comics from leaning forward, then the metal feet to prevent rack from toppling from 1 of greggy's hip checks. :p

VPDcgn7.jpg

nice, we used elastic band at one end of the fishing line so it could fit tight against the comics.

On April 15, 2017 at 9:36 AM, aardvark88 said:

There is a full page article about 'investing in comics and comic art' in Vancouver Sun and National Post newspapers Apr 15, 2017. Nice color pic of Vinnie Z of Metro holding up Atlas (Men's Adv?) original comic artwork Capt America and Subby pages. Seems to be a typo in the article, as I don't think u can buy a pristine mint ToS #39 for $16,000, try $160,000. We may now have officially hit the plateau in market prices for GA and SA comics with this much national publicity in print and online plus vintage issues getting the movie :whatev: bump up. Honest article about advanced collector selling his comics via eBay, and still having his stash of Tarzan and D ick Tracy comics to the very end. :preach:

Wow. The article made Financialpost this weekend:

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/news/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/investing/cashing-in-on-capes-and-cowls&pubdate=2017-04-16

17 minutes ago, kimik said:

Well researched article.  I'm impressed.

1 hour ago, piper said:

Well researched article.  I'm impressed.

I will gladly pay you $16000 for any pristine CGC 9.4+ TOS 39s you have laying around. ?

Other than that, it was a decent article.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

Also made the Edmonton Journal and I'd suspect was picked up by a lot of newspapers.

I did not catch it in the Edmonton Journal. Mind you, the only section worth reading is their sports section. The others are basically so scaled down now it is not worth it.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

What happens when a cosplayer wears his costume to go get alterations done for the Calgary Expo? :roflmao:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/grande-prairie-cosplay-1.4070387

Yet the mayor of Calgary usually leads the downtown cosplay parade to support Calgary Expo weekend each year. Article will increase demand for Pringles potato chip containers for cosplayers. B|

8 hours ago, kimik said:

Some of the passes are finally hitting Sold Out status. Pre-McFarlane and Stan Lee announcements there were plenty of tix left. I wonder if they will be able to sell the show out this year with the down economy?

Wouldn't be surprised if the expo went after McFarlane and or Stan Lee because the passes weren't selling well.

Seems like for most Canadian comicons, the media and bigger name comics guests are not confirmed until up to three (3) weeks before the Expo event.

If you have time, please upload Calgary Expo into the Community Calendar with your booth pic and :news: smiling face. That way the event pops up at the bottom of the Forum for more marketing push or just a timely reminder. 

34 minutes ago, greggy said:

No need to worry about a hockey game messing up the parking lot at the end of the show. :banana:

A couple of years ago when they were beating Vancouver in Round 1 we had to wait for close to an hour to leave the exhibitor parking lot. I ended up just moving some barriers enough to drive on the sidewalk eventually to get out. Thankfully, that will not be an issue this time around.

It is too bad that they lost to the Ducks. As much as I naturally dislike the Flames as an Oilers' fan, I think I hate some of the players on the Ducks even more. hm

Hopefully the first round loss ends up leaving more $$$ in the pockets of Calgary collectors to spend at the show. :banana: :banana::banana:

Edited by kimik

On 4/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, kimik said:

Some of the passes are finally hitting Sold Out status. Pre-McFarlane and Stan Lee announcements there were plenty of tix left. I wonder if they will be able to sell the show out this year with the down economy?

:wishluck: