• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Birthday tribute – Sal Buscema turns 81 today!

36 posts in this topic

Well, they are lovable! Yeah, love those pages from the Kang storyline too! That #70 page 23 is another one that got away from me on ebay. Dig those dramatic angles in panels 4, 5 & 6! Origin of Super...uhhh...Hyperion and an action-packed confrontation with Thor!

There were so many times that I thought I'll just get it the next time it hits ebay...and it will probably be cheaper! :screwy: We all know how that strategy worked! :facepalm:

Such a great thread. I am so happy Sal is getting a lot of recognition. He is a great artist. Too often his massive production has led people to ignore the absolute peaks of his art: early Avengers, Cap and Defenders, but also his later Spectacular Spider-Man with Sienckiewicz...

These two pieces are in my CAF gallery. Still I am happy to include them here, as a testament to how creative and bold Sal could be in layout, in addition to his perfect anatomy and storytelling! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAL!!!

5LFv39VJ_2708161312181gpadd.jpg

V3ibeTDK_0710131628291.jpg

Carlo

PS - first time I have been able to insert images here...so proud of myself!

Time to bump this thread as today's is Sal's birthday once again - his 82nd! Below is my annual post on my web site so feel free to check it out if you are so inclined. I included the link to a podcast where Sal talks exclusively about the Hulk and his career at Marvel. 

Enjoy and as always feel free to drop some great Sal art in this thread to celebrate Sal's brilliant career. (and of course feel free to PM me with any examples of Hulk artwork that you may have for sale). 

https://thejadegiant.wordpress.com/2018/01/26/happy-82nd-birthday-to-our-pal-sal-buscema-the-greatest-hulk-artist-of-all/

Happy Birthday, Sal!

My second-ever piece of OA, purchased about 7 or 8 years ago... I love Sal's early stuff, and I always especially loved the way he drew Cap's mask.  When I was a kid I would endlessly copy his use of a full shadowed black front with just the white A.  I just think it screams "Cap" to me.  So when I saw this page with Spidey AND Cap... I was psyched!

mtu52.thumb.jpg.e05deff9780b12febef392e66155ecfa.jpg

On 1/27/2018 at 5:58 AM, joeypost said:

Here are two of my favorite pages. Would give my left arm for an action page from issue 197. 

Hulk OA

GREAT pages. I have a couple from this arc but not an action page from 197. Good luck on your searching!