• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atomic Age DCs...Have a piece of Rhubarb...
9 9

665 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:

Has anyone else ever noticed the use of blue and purple on people in the foreground on many DC Atom Age books?...any time they wanted to depict shadows they just colored the people blue or purple...like these Indians...

22399949730_f2757fd187_c.jpg

Cool.  Never noticed that before. 

9 hours ago, tricolorbrian said:
9 hours ago, JohnT said:

That's a really odd cover.  Not sure I even get the gag.  But a beautiful looking book!

He tripped jumping over the net after winning the game, and smashed his face on the court...so she had to carry him off...

Right.  The irony of his beating her in the tennis match while being so clumsy that he trips over the net and has to be carried off the court by her.  Not a real knee-slapper, but kind of amusing. 

9 hours ago, JohnT said:

Another Tomahawk. I think if I was a kid during the 50's Tomahawk would be my favorite comic.

Tom41.jpg

I'm with you on Tomahawk.  Some excellent art and decent stories.  Had a long run, first in Star Spangled and then in his own book.  Must have been pretty popular to have lasted that long and to have survived DC's culling of titles in the mid-1950s.  

Really dead title these days, though.  Can't think of another DC character who had that long a run, but who generates so little interest among collectors today.  Probably take a movie or TV series to give him a pulse again and the chances of that happening seem pretty remote.

Edited by Sqeggs

On February 17, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Sqeggs said:

I'm with you on Tomahawk.  Some excellent art and decent stories.  Had a long run, first in Star Spangled and then in his own book.  Must have been pretty popular to have lasted that long and to have survived DC's culling of titles in the mid-1950s.  

Really dead title these days, though.  Can't think of another DC character who had that long a run, but who generates so little interest among collectors today.  Probably take a movie or TV series to give him a pulse again and the chances of that happening seem pretty remote.

+1

I love this title. I have most of the Star Spangled run. A great title for good contents.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

It was a fairly common Atom age coloring technique for DC

Western45.jpgTomahawk22.jpgMIS23-1.jpg

Infantino, Swan and Anderson.  Great stuff! :applause:

OK, so here's another...this kinda fits in with Tomahawk...

21856311239_e890856bd2_c.jpg

and another that doesn't...

17024211012_150d4939e9_c.jpg

and one I used to own, but no longer do...the Mile High Gang Busters #3.  Heritage totally wrecked the scan and changed the actual color of the book, so I tried to photoshop it back to the original.  I gave up after awhile, but you get the gist of it...

X=DC-GangB3-MileHigh.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian