• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bernie Wrightson Retired

13 posts in this topic

I saw this posted on Facebook. One of the greatest as far as I'm concerned. Detailed lush inking and could paint as well.

Dear Fans and Friends,

I apologize for our silence for the past few months. Last November Bernie began falling again, and having obvious problems with perception. He had to undergo yet another brain surgery to relieve bleeding, and then spend several weeks undergoing in-patient rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it appears that he has lasting damage: he has extremely limited function on his left side, and is unable to walk or reliably use his left hand, among other limitations.

We have had to come to the sad conclusion that he is now effectively retired: he will produce no new art, and he is unable to attend conventions. Should this situation change I will happily announce it here.

He can still sign his name (in fact he was signing Kickstarter prints in the hospital!), and is otherwise pretty healthy and has good cognition. We expect to continue releasing signed prints, and offering occasional pieces of art for sale from the collection that remains. We both thank all of you for your continuing support and good wishes!

All our best,

Liz and Bernie Wrightson

I saw this posted on Facebook. One of the greatest as far as I'm concerned. Detailed lush inking and could paint as well.

Dear Fans and Friends,

I apologize for our silence for the past few months. Last November Bernie began falling again, and having obvious problems with perception. He had to undergo yet another brain surgery to relieve bleeding, and then spend several weeks undergoing in-patient rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it appears that he has lasting damage: he has extremely limited function on his left side, and is unable to walk or reliably use his left hand, among other limitations.

We have had to come to the sad conclusion that he is now effectively retired: he will produce no new art, and he is unable to attend conventions. Should this situation change I will happily announce it here.

He can still sign his name (in fact he was signing Kickstarter prints in the hospital!), and is otherwise pretty healthy and has good cognition. We expect to continue releasing signed prints, and offering occasional pieces of art for sale from the collection that remains. We both thank all of you for your continuing support and good wishes!

All our best,

Liz and Bernie Wrightson

Such a shame and I hope that Bernie recovers as much function as possible. And if he has drawn his last drawing, what an amazing legacy he's left behind.

Scott

This completely bums me out - Bernie has always been one of my all time favorites. One of those artists that could produce works that routinely made my jaw drop, even late into his career.

I'm so sorry to hear about his health problems, and I hope he recovers and can enjoy some aspect of retired life.

I'm very saddened by the future without new Bernie art, but I'm very happy that he's not so incapacitated as he might be. I suspect he'll still be able to live an interesting life in retirement. At least, I hope so.

Good people both of them.

what a shame, indeed. i had the opportunity to speak to bernie at a few cons over the years- what a genuinely nice man he is, not to mention being a hall of fame talent. best wishes to bernie, liz and their family.

Edited by robert frey

Very happy to hear that cognition is not the main issue. I hope his overall health is strong and that he has something to enjoy and sustain himself with during his retirement.

It's good to hear he's focusing in on his own life rather than the hustle of working on art and doing the convention circuit, he's earned a beautiful sunset after a long career. I hope he enjoys a peaceful and fulfilling retirement. His legacy speaks volumes and continues to contribute to both current fans who review his body of work and the new fans that discover it and will continue to do so for decades upon decades.