• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal Raising Fees and Currency Conversions

23 posts in this topic

Just did a cursory scan of this, unless I'm missing something looks like they are raising trans fees for purchases made by buyers outside the US.  Was there anything in here that said fees would be raised for transactions where buyer and seller are in US?  It's early and I may have missed it.  In any event stinks in general for sellers who rely on international markets. 

4 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:

Just did a cursory scan of this, unless I'm missing something looks like they are raising trans fees for purchases made by buyers outside the US.  Was there anything in here that said fees would be raised for transactions where buyer and seller are in US?  It's early and I may have missed it.  In any event stinks in general for sellers who rely on international markets. 

Buyers within the US: Fees are raising from 3.7% to 4.2%

My question is - is the buyer charged a fee for dealing with currency exchange or am I facing the increase due to a buyer purchasing something from outside the US.  Because I am starting to lean more and more with setting up eBay Global Shipping program or tacking on an "additional fee" for non-US buyers when it comes to selling things on eBay

This is their way of getting another cash grab.

Remember a few months ago I started a thread about Paypal automatically converting funds rather than delivering them in $US.

They said it was a 'glitch'. Looks like it was never a glitch.

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I will build it out of snow and throw snowballs at everyone in Canadia <--- :shy:

We have more snow. You would lose.

Just squeezing us for more blood. Ebay grabbing a fee on money we have to spend on postage, etc.  I know for a small/medium seller like me it is probably $50 a year, but hey, that's groceries for a week (if I am really budgeting).

Just now, the blob said:

Just squeezing us for more blood. Ebay grabbing a fee on money we have to spend on postage, etc.  I know for a small/medium seller like me it is probably $50 a year, but hey, that's groceries for a week (if I am really budgeting).

That is why I raise the prices and enter into the whole thing with the mindset that, "Eventually someone will agree to the price."  I know that there are some if not many that depend on it as a second source of income.  I am lucky enough that I do not so I can presently afford to let things sell at the price I want for each item. 

57 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Damn... I live in NY... we don't like walls anyway... except for an Ex GF and almost all of Staten Island and some of the crazy Italians in Brooklyn all of whom are the reason why my FB is currently deactivated.   Got sick of turning on FB to see nothing but arguing. 

Edited by Buzzetta

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

Either you eat out a lot or you just don't eat much. :)

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Damn... I live in NY... we don't like walls anyway... except for an Ex GF and almost all of Staten Island and the crazy Italians in Brooklyn all of whom are the reason why my FB is currently deactivated.   Got sick of turning on FB to see nothing but arguing. 

New Yorkers are nuts. Walking in NYC is the best. Now walking in LA, that's a different story - NYC is a walking town IMO.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

New Yorkers are nuts. Walking in NYC is the best. Now walking in LA, that's a different story - NYC is a walking town IMO.

That's why New Yorkers are all so thin. :)

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

1 minute ago, Guardian Comics said:
10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It's weird, we live an hour and a half away and I have yet to see any snow all winter.

We had maybe two feet of snow before Christmas, much of it melted away, had several freezing rain falls, several snow storms, another foot or so of snow after Christmas and now much of it has melted down. This is typical for us West of the city.

We are adding the ability to create a negative balance in your PayPal account when we reverse a payment to cover eBay buyer protection claims that the seller loses

This could be good for the scam sellers that sale something then drain the funds thinking they are clear.  And from what I read I think it's goes from 3.5 to 4.7 for out of U.S transactions

17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is their way of getting another cash grab.

Remember a few months ago I started a thread about Paypal automatically converting funds rather than delivering them in $US.

They said it was a 'glitch'. Looks like it was never a glitch.

They still say it was a glitch. I made a big purchase last month and was forced to use their currency conversion instead of my banks (who do not charge a fee). I complained to paypal afterwards and at first they were like "It's your fault, you should have selected the correct option" but with perseverance and proof i was able to get a refund on the currency conversion fees since it was their fault their site was not working correctly. Then they said they are working on fixing it.

Last week I made a small purchase and was able to choose the currency conversion method myself so not sure if it's fixed for good or not.

4 hours ago, Anfield Fox1 said:

They still say it was a glitch. I made a big purchase last month and was forced to use their currency conversion instead of my banks (who do not charge a fee). I complained to paypal afterwards and at first they were like "It's your fault, you should have selected the correct option" but with perseverance and proof i was able to get a refund on the currency conversion fees since it was their fault their site was not working correctly. Then they said they are working on fixing it.

Last week I made a small purchase and was able to choose the currency conversion method myself so not sure if it's fixed for good or not.

I had a guy in Canada try to pay me in $US (I am an in Canada) and he could not find a conversion so that I could receive $US. I had to invoice him to receive $US. I have yet to try myself.

Paypal recently released a new update to their policy and rules and I haven't had a chance to read it as I was on the road. I wondered if it covered these changes. However they explain it away right now, the 'glitch' still benefits them greatly by double dipping on all conversations at their exorbitant rate.  You have to wonder how much of a glitch it really is and how willing they'd be to fix it if it was costing them rather than benefiting them.