• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 2:23 PM, Yorick said:

Good news... maybe?  I don't have the issues yet, but I might be adding some more pulps to my list.  I can't imagine Flanagan being brought in half-way through a multi-part story.  I have confirmed parts 3 and 4 of a 6 part story.  Parts 5 and 6 are on my list, but parts 1 and 2 are not.  Weird.

Many thanks to @RedFury for helping me verify that part 1 and 2 are Flanagan!  2 more pulps on the list!!

On 8/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, Sarg said:

Blue Book June 1939

IMG_0779.jpeg

The original art for this image is posted on CAF.  It looks amazing.

This particular issue of Blue Book is high on my list of Flanagan issues because there are TWO stories illustrated by him.  Only a handful of publications see more than a few illustrations, but after the depression he really had to step up his game.  I believe the only pulps that have more are the Wu Fangs.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, Yorick said:

I hope you won't mind if I post some of his non-comic work.  Apparently this is a lithograph (which I wish I owned).

JohnRichardFlanagan_100.jpg

Has anyone discovered the source for this? It looks like it comes from a book.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:26 AM, Sarg said:

The guy that posted it was trying to sell it (in an old archived web-page).  His description was that it was a large lithograph (I may have imagined it being 11 x 17).  It looks like 1930's to me, maybe early 40's.

If it is out of a book, I assume the book would be larger (at least 9 x 12).  Flanagan did some more paintings for a small publication promoting cave tourism which was printed in a somewhat larger format.  I'll dig my copy out and make some scans.

I am curious as to why you think this might be from a book?  Perhaps it is from one of his many gallery shows.  He advertised regularly for exhibits of his art, and it might have made sense to make a small set of prints to sell at one of those exhibits for the fans that could not afford an original.  (shrug)

On 4/14/2017 at 10:14 PM, Yorick said:

So I decided to edit some Flanagan stuff together for comparison.  After putting the figures onto one sheet, it struck me that maybe the vegetation is easier to see the similarities.  Maybe I'll do that next.  Trying to edit the color out of the comic covers he did in order to see the line work is really difficult!

flanagan comparison.jpg

@Yorick asked me to look up some Flanagan illustrations in Adventure and one showcases the same "model" as above, in one of the March 1935 issues of the pulp - [and, yes, the content of the story is as relevant in 2021 as it was in 1935 ...]

402923019_AdventureMarch1st1935-AContrac

Edited by Scrooge

On 8/23/2021 at 3:00 PM, Yorick said:

I am curious as to why you think this might be from a book?  Perhaps it is from one of his many gallery shows.  He advertised regularly for exhibits of his art, and it might have made sense to make a small set of prints to sell at one of those exhibits for the fans that could not afford an original.  (shrug)

Because it's known that he illustrated some books. I have a couple of them. Have all of them been documented?

On 8/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, Sarg said:

Because it's known that he illustrated some books. I have a couple of them. Have all of them been documented?

I thought there might be some hint/giveaway within the image I was missing.  Most of the books on my list came from newspaper references.  Here's the full page of a 1953 article which lists authors (about mid-way down on the left column), some of which I have still not found.

Sunday_News_Sun__Mar_1__1953_.jpg

Hello Flanagan Fans!

Today I am potentially adding another JRF to my list.  I just purchased a copy (so it won't arrive for a few days), but there is at least another copy on feebay to look at pictures until I am able to fully verify (it's 99%): The Heart of Pinocchio.  Published in 1919 as an illustrated book.  This is early JRF linework, so not as elegant as what we see in his comic covers.

:cloud9:

One just popped up as a buy-it-now on feebay.  I bought it.  It was listed as "The Pool" and printed as a limited edition art print of 250.  There is no date, but the numbered certificate makes mention of his work on Fu Manchu so it is definitely after 1935.  It is indeed large (around 11 x 17), and was created in watercolor.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, mwotka said:

wu fang 8.jpg

The tourniquet to the neck is brutal!  Dang.  Looks like some opium pipes and paraphernalia there are well.  Adult content!

On 9/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, Yorick said:

Hello Flanagan Fans!

Today I am potentially adding another JRF to my list.  I just purchased a copy (so it won't arrive for a few days), but there is at least another copy on feebay to look at pictures until I am able to fully verify (it's 99%): The Heart of Pinocchio.  Published in 1919 as an illustrated book.  This is early JRF linework, so not as elegant as what we see in his comic covers.

:cloud9:

I took a few photos, but only this one came out clearly.  Although there are lots of illustrations within, they are fairly simple and I would not recommend paying too much for this book.

Heart of Pinocchio (3).JPG

@Sarg I was able to find the original printing of "the pool" (not the original title).  1925!  I guess I have a lot more to learn before estimating creation dates...

The color print is a MODERN printing on photo paper.  Maybe the owner of the original is making these (within the last ten years)?  As a modern print, I feel that it could have been done better, but it's certainly a step up from the 1925 black and white.  I also made another mistake; the print edition is listed as 200 total, not 250.

This advertisement threw me off track.  I was sure there would be some Flanagan work in that Cosmopolitan issue (November 1922), but after leafing through EVERY PAGE I can confirm that there is none.  Anyone know of work he created WITHIN Cosmo (not just ads FOR Cosmo)?

Cosmo Ad with Flanagan 1922.jpg