• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck?

14 posts in this topic

Surely this is just a used CGC case and not what is being touted?  (And apologies if it is a genuine CGC prototype to the seller - I will plead ignorance if they were given as gifts.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARRIOR-COMICS-1-HC-Blackerby-1945-CGC-PROTOTYPE-/182452333712?hash=item2a7b01ac90:g:mLsAAOSwax5Yn8Y-

Edited by telerites

Thanks Blowie, I was being lazy but should have grabbed the pic along with the link.  

When I saw you had posted, I was expecting your prime search skills were going to point to an older thread or something about prototype slabs given as gifts.  :)

Can CGC verify if there were any "prototype" slabs like this?

I find it hard to believe that CGC would send out a "prototype" without the company logo clearly displayed on the front of the label.

Also, the fact that the slab is cracked leads me to believe this is not genuine.

17 minutes ago, The Kaptain said:

I find it hard to believe that CGC would send out a "prototype" without the company logo clearly displayed on the front of the label.

Also, the fact that the slab is cracked leads me to believe this is not genuine.

Yeah when I saw it, I thought this has got to be a scam but maybe CGC did share some early prototypes.  I think it is highly doubtful is real and thought I would share it here.  Maybe I am proven wrong but my money is on turdiness.  

4 hours ago, The Kaptain said:

Didn't they give away some slabs at SDCC right as (or maybe right before) they opened for business?  I wasn't there, but I seem to remember that.  I don't think those slabs looked anything like this one.

59 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Didn't they give away some slabs at SDCC right as (or maybe right before) they opened for business?  I wasn't there, but I seem to remember that.  I don't think those slabs looked anything like this one.

This is the only CGC prototype/sample book I have ever seen.  It looks nothing like the one above.

CGC98Superman78_cgcsample_zpsmhjikwpz.jp

44 minutes ago, The Kaptain said:
1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

This is the only CGC prototype/sample book I have ever seen.  It looks nothing like the one above.

CGC98Superman78_cgcsample_zpsmhjikwpz.jp

That's the one I was thinking of. 

Warrior comics is listed in the Gerber guide as a Gerber 8.  I know there was a warehouse find later that diluted the market and it lost its rarity.  I may be wrong on this, but I think the warehouse find came later than the origin of CGC, so I think it would not have been considered a good candidate as a prototype.  

On February 12, 2017 at 5:33 AM, telerites said:

Surely this is just a used CGC case and not what is being touted?  (And apologies if it is a genuine CGC prototype to the seller - I will plead ignorance if they were given as gifts.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARRIOR-COMICS-1-HC-Blackerby-1945-CGC-PROTOTYPE-/182452333712?hash=item2a7b01ac90:g:mLsAAOSwax5Yn8Y-

Was given to me from Steve Borock as a gift (free) to give an idea what slabbing was going to look like.  I cracked a piece off to send to Intertek to test plastic composition.  Been sitting on my desk for 18 years and is a no longer wanted so I thought I'd move it along with other #1's collecting dust. Years ago tried to start a better grading company of my own with other board members and went bankrupt so any last comic books are no longer wanted.  Gator, Filter and others could verify my collections as they have bought and sold my 2 Action 1s, 6 Superman 1s, Tec27, Superman Ashcan and others.  It IS as genuine as can be. 

Ben

Edited by all bout da Bene