• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

TDK in The Suicide Squad: Who Is Nathan Fillion's Character?

Yesterday's DC FanDome virtual event dropped a ton of news, trailers, and interviews around the upcoming DC movies. And that included James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, which saw the filmmaker and his cast assemble to discuss the kinda-sequel to the 2016 film. During that panel, we finally learned not just who Idris Elba is playing in The Suicide Squad (Bloodsport!?), but also about a bunch of other characters -- including the mysterious TDK, played by Gunn's real-life buddy Nathan Fillion.

We don't know much about this character, other than that he appears to be a new creation of Gunn's... albeit one based on a very obscure, very weird player from DC Comics canon. Read on for what we know about TDK, and then also be sure to also check out all of DC FanDome's Biggest and Best Announcements...

Who Is TDK in The Suicide Squad?
Firefly and Castle’s Nathan Fillion reteams with James Gunn for The Suicide Squad after appearing in a cameo role in Guardians of the Galaxy as well as starring in Slither and co-starring in Super, all of which were helmed by the director.

TDK is an original creation of Gunn’s, but we think we know who he's based on. Take a look at the character poster of TDK that was released yesterday:

TDK-Suicide-Squad-Nathan-Fillion.jpeg?fi

The character sports a fairly standard superhero look: armor, dramatic stare, piercing eyes, arms crossed, ready to do battle. But then you notice that, well, TDK's arms don't seem to be connected to his body! That's because TDK is rumored to stand for... The Detachable Kid!

Rumors had indicated that this was Fillion's character's name, but now it's pretty clear that's what the TDK means. And diehard comics fans know that there's a precedent for a hero with this modus operandi, even if he went by a different name... Arm-Fall-Off-Boy!

8 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Woah, 16 characters?!?!  Over under on deaths?

I wonder if it will Sean Gunn and Michael Rooker.

James Gunn noted during DC Fandome he really likes Ratcatcher 2.0 so I don't see him killing her off.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if it will Sean Gunn and Michael Rooker.

James Gunn noted during DC Fandome he really likes Ratcatcher 2.0 so I don't see him killing her off.

I’m thinking it will be over half.  Like Waller sends out one squad and they are wiped out, so she sends the second one out.  Something like that.

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'll guess over.

Agreed, but to add to that I'll say at least half of those deaths won't be 100% explicitly clear and confirmed, giving some wiggle room on characters returning in the future (though not all in one piece)

It would be funny if TDK was killed in this movie, but one of the other group members kept one of his detached arms that was technically still alive and could emote.

So for the next movie they carried around this limb that would give the thumbs up or flip people off (an explicit version of the Adam's Family Thing) :D  Hollywood, call me, we'll do lunch.

Edited by Sauce Dog

The Suicide Squad's secret villain may have been revealed as Justice League nemesis Starro The Conqueror. The hint comes courtesy of a previously unseen tiny detail in the DC FanDome exclusive first-look footage that James Gunn unveiled as part of his panel. Ahead of DC's unprecedented online digital event, Splash Report had teased that Starro was the main villain, but it wasn't until footage from the event was poured over that Starro's involvement was uncovered. The Illuminerdi were the front-runners on offering that corroboration.

James Gunn's The Suicide Squad is not a sequel to David Ayer's Suicide Squad, but merely a linked follow-up that reboots the property while retaining key elements like Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn, Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, Joel Kinnaman's Rick Flag, and Jai Courtney's (now Captain) Boomerang. Once more engaged as Task Force X, those original members are joined by a huge new cast, including Idris Elba, John Cena, Sean Gunn, and Nathan Fillion in a huge secret mission to save the world again in what Gunn called a 1970s war movie homage.

Suicide-Squad-Starro.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w

As the Illuminerdi confirmed, the teaser from DC FanDome showed grainy footage of battlefield casualties around the Suicide Squad in whatever tropical country is shown in the footage. At least two of those fallen enemies have purple star-like creatures attached to their faces, which is, of course, the modus operandi of Starro The Conqueror. While it hasn't been confirmed yet, the purple color scheme and how they're fitted to the seemingly dead extras is huge evidence to Starro being behind it all.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

So many characters, but honestly...I've got a good feeling about this one. I'm excited.

Agreed. And with Gunn he is so into the Suicide Squad he was sharing over the weekend how he was trying to honor the Ostrander run to the best of his abilities. Including making sure it contained oddball characters that were C and D list forced into service.

Though with WB/DC they gave him free reign to pick whomever he wanted to support the story.