• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS have gone bonkers

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, VegasJeff said:

CBCS must be desperate for business to offer this ...

Or just filling a niche demand.  I can't get the continued need to bash CBCS here.  It's as if people feel they can't be justified in liking CGC and CGC's product, unless they put down everything about CBCS.  Don't forget, market pressure from CBCS, on CGC, has resulted in many positive things. 

24 minutes ago, Transplant said:
1 hour ago, VegasJeff said:

CBCS must be desperate for business to offer this ...

Or just filling a niche demand.  I can't get the continued need to bash CBCS here.  It's as if people feel they can't be justified in liking CGC and CGC's product, unless they put down everything about CBCS.  Don't forget, market pressure from CBCS, on CGC, has resulted in many positive things. 

Not that I'm defending the bashing you speak of but have you seen the CGC bashing that goes on over there? Worse than here by far. At least as far as I've seen

51 minutes ago, Transplant said:

I agree, Transplant.  I will take my chances with CGC, regardless of whatever issues they may be dealing with at the time.

7 minutes ago, HemiGTX said:

Grading a book without a restoration check is worthless.  And bad for our hobby.

How so if no one has the expectation that there is a resto check?

What if the grading contests are just to see if maybe CGC got it wrong?? hm

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, Transplant said:

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

Not that I'm defending the bashing you speak of but have you seen the CGC bashing that goes on over there? Worse than here by far. At least as far as I've seen

There is a ton of bashing both way's. I for one think both companies have something to offer me as a collector. Although this new rollout from CBCS is something I don't plan on using some people may feel different. Keep this in mind the service is $10 for a post 1975 book and $15 for a pre 1975 book . No restoration check and no slab just a mylar. Oh and there is a $250 FMV cap on the service. If I was sending in a book for grading I would just as soon pay the extra and get the restoration check and the slab.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:27 AM, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Voldermot is just undermining the whole grading process by doing this.  CGC is the one true grading company in my mind.  I hope they don't follow suit on this.

My bet is that if CGC had initially come up with this idea, some of the naysayers would be saying what a fantastic idea this was and a nice complement to their current grading services.  hm

3 hours ago, HemiGTX said:

Grading a book without a restoration check is worthless.  And bad for our hobby.

You do realize that an overwhelming majority of the books graded by CGC are MA books and out of those books, a further overwhelming majority of them are brand spanking new variant copies fresh off the shelves of the LCS's.  A restoration check on these types books is indeed absolutely worthless and nothing more than a waste of your money.  :gossip:

For any truly vintage collectible book, I highly doubt this service is geared towards these types of books, as collectors with any brains at all would be sending these books in for grading through the traditional grading service.  (thumbsu

11 hours ago, 1Cool said:
11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

No resto check offered with the service?  Wasn't the whole purpose of 3rd party grading to identify restoration on those big dollar books so that you could buy with confidence?  Wow... talk about your bad ideas.  The first book out of that service that gets a restored label is going to sink the company.

Doubtful since they specify restoration check is not included.  I'd see a bidder liability issue if someone buys a 9.4 Hulk 181 and the switched books is only a 8.5 with hidden defects.  I'm sure there is some disclaimers thrown in to cover their butts.

Not sure how easy it would be to switch out the books since the mylar holder is apparently sealed to prevent this type of fraudulent activity from happening, as based upon the following statment from the article:

"The grade is displayed on a sticker on the front of the Mylar bag, which is sealed with a tamper evident sticker for security."

hm  (shrug)

This was being talked about quite a bit at the Richmond show this past weekend. What I heard was that this service was geared towards facilitating appraisals for Estate and Insurance purposes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu