• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS have gone bonkers

63 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

4. Even Cgc recommends that their long term protection means getting slabs re-slabbed every 7 years. A Voldemoort top of mylar sealed comic should be able to protect comic corners for 7 years too. :nyah:

1 hour ago, Lt. Eckhardt said:

Voldermot is just undermining the whole grading process by doing this.  CGC is the one true grading company in my mind.  I hope they don't follow suit on this.

Apparently he now has branches in Holland & Germany too (worship)

5 minutes ago, Mio said:

I would love CGC to offer this service. I do not like their new slabs, do not want to slab some books, but nevertheless would like accurate grading.

But the problem remains, the grade can only be guaranteed the moment it is done.  Now I can see value in on site grading opinions at a show. Being able to pay a third party to come over to a booth and give a grade, especially when dealing with high value books, would actually be good.

36 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Looking forward to the first true Canadian grading co.: GGGs = greggy's genuine grading system. Patent pending, mylars cost extra. :sumo:

Every book gets a drink spilled on it and some crumbs in the bag.

^^

8 minutes ago, drotto said:

But the problem remains, the grade can only be guaranteed the moment it is done.  Now I can see value in on site grading opinions at a show. Being able to pay a third party to come over to a booth and give a grade, especially when dealing with high value books, would actually be good.

Some people take books out of slabs when they get them, and just want an independent view as to the grade. I have books like this. The service can be useful in other cases, e.g. a buyer and seller cannot agree on a grade and submit just to determine that (to help fix a price) which I have also done.

Edited by Mio

3 hours ago, drotto said:

But it means nothing.  The people who use this will know what the grade was at the moment it was done.  There is no guarantee that will be the grade after further handling, shipping, etc. Other than a way of putting a few more dollars into their pockets, I am not sure how it benefits the collector.  I would not pay any sort of premium if I purchased a graded but not encapsulated book.  It is just a raw book.

Encapsulated books can have this same issue.  I live in Arizona.  If I stored the CGC books in the garage for a year or two, I guarantee you, they will not be in the same grade that is written on the CGC slab.

41 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

Encapsulated books can have this same issue.  I live in Arizona.  If I stored the CGC books in the garage for a year or two, I guarantee you, they will not be in the same grade that is written on the CGC slab.

Bam! This. A friend of mine has a copper x-men, 200-something, that is labeled 9.0 but is faded and shriveled looking in the sealed case.  CGC did not blow the call; an LCS hung it with window exposure for faaaar too long. He bought it for laughs, curiousity, a reminder that slabs still need care. The big difference that some fear, I suspect, is not knowing that the book was left in the Mylar. Odds are good of course that if it is, its in the same condition as when it's inserted. My mylar'ed books are. But yes handling mistakes can occur. I'm all for the extra protection of slabs for super-valuable stuff but I would be kind of sad to have an ENTIRE collection of books I could not read. 

As as to the new service, I'm not much interested but not upset. It's a big world, there's room.

3 hours ago, Mio said:

Some people take books out of slabs when they get them, and just want an independent view as to the grade. I have books like this. The service can be useful in other cases, e.g. a buyer and seller cannot agree on a grade and submit just to determine that (to help fix a price) which I have also done.

Less then 1% of transactions would fall into this. Unless their overhead is nothing I don't see this service lasting.

6 hours ago, drotto said:

But it means nothing.  The people who use this will know what the grade was at the moment it was done.  There is no guarantee that will be the grade after further handling, shipping, etc. Other than a way of putting a few more dollars into their pockets, I am not sure how it benefits the collector.  I would not pay any sort of premium if I purchased a graded but not encapsulated book.  It is just a raw book.

Same lack of grade guarantee issue with an encapsulated book, although to a lesser extent.  :gossip:

After all, have you not heard of SCS yet?  (shrug)

No resto check offered with the service?  Wasn't the whole purpose of 3rd party grading to identify restoration on those big dollar books so that you could buy with confidence?  Wow... talk about your bad ideas.  The first book out of that service that gets a restored label is going to sink the company.

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

No resto check offered with the service?  Wasn't the whole purpose of 3rd party grading to identify restoration on those big dollar books so that you could buy with confidence?  Wow... talk about your bad ideas.  The first book out of that service that gets a restored label is going to sink the company.

Doubtful since they specify restoration check is not included.  I'd see a bidder liability issue if someone buys a 9.4 Hulk 181 and the switched books is only a 8.5 with hidden defects.  I'm sure there is some disclaimers thrown in to cover their butts.