• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Comic Con in Saudi Arabia
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Reminds me of the time I was in the Dubai Mall the other year, which is supposedly the largest shopping mall in the world.

They had a comic book display right in the center of the mall.  Although Dubai is often known for having by far the grandest and most luxurious for most items in the world, their comic books certainly left a lot to be desired.  meh

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

They had a comic book display right in the center of the mall.  Although Dubai is often known for having by far the grandest and most luxurious for most items in the world, their comic books certainly left a lot to be desired.  meh

They hadn't gotten around to gold plating them yet.

For a developing market like Saudi Arabia, 30 year old 'vintage collectibles' like Spawn #1, Youngblood #1, Turok 1 (shiny bronze cover), X-men 1 a to e, Wild CATs #2 shiny silver cover and Legends of the Dark Knight #1 4 colors are in demand at this 'devil worshipping' festival. Where is Harley's big yellow sign?

9 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

For a developing market like Saudi Arabia, 30 year old 'vintage collectibles' like Spawn #1, Youngblood #1, Turok 1 (shiny bronze cover), X-men 1 a to e, Wild CATs #2 shiny silver cover and Legends of the Dark Knight #1 4 colors are in demand at this 'devil worshipping' festival. Where is Harley's big yellow sign?

Are they readers or are they collectors in that part of the world?  I think of the Japanese, who don't have space for collections, so their comics are treated as disposable entertainment.  If they like their stuff, it might be worth it for someone to ship a container full of comics to distribute.

On 2017-02-20 at 10:18 PM, Murphman13 said:

So I'm guessing vamperilla might be frowned upon? Just a little?

I can't imagine the average comic book with female representation getting a free pass in Saudi Arabia unless things have changed drastically over the last 20 years.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:22 AM, aardvark88 said:

Where is Harley's big yellow sign?

lol

First thought that came to my mind when I saw this thread!

Edited by DanCooper
spelling