• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most underwhelming GA key/grail purchase?

51 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

It may come as a shock, but this may be the most underwhelming grail book on the planet...

1296bff6-3eb7-49c1-951d-820915491585_zps

I've owned two copies over the past ten years ...both in high grade (8.5 & 9.4)... traded the first one, to upgrade.  Eventually decided to auction the second one with my eye on a more desired grail book knowing that replacing DBH in HG is a lot easier than most iconic GA books.  Even though the book's cover is da bomb, I've always liked Silver Streaks featuring Daredevil & the Claw by Jack Cole better.  So, I'm probably the only collector on the planet who thinks of this classic as an underwhelming grail.  Yeah, I guess that's me ---> :boo:

I once owned a copy. I like it, especially the interior art. But it pales next to Silver Streak 6, which is a true grail, and one I'd love to own.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I am going to guess this book would land on a lot of peoples list for underwhelming (I actually love the book).

2440C46B-467F-4D00-B4E6-13CFE27C2193.jpg

Stupid brats!  Scrapper, one of Kirby's dozens of tough Brooklyn kids with a snap cap

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Yeah, Red Raven has supporters and detractors, but as a grail book it seems to have a lot more goin' for it than agin-it.  

As a one shot ...even as a commercial flop... it's more than a curiosity.  In it's favor, there's that Joe Simon & Jack Kirby thing goin' on.  This may not be the first time these legends worked together, but to my knowledge it's the first finished project with Kirby cover and interiors that Simon sold to Goodman (the next would be Cap).  

The colorist's choice is certainly questionable..., pink wings, ...really! ...?  Who knows how many more copies might've sold to boys back in 1940 if the Red Raven had white or blue-white wings (alas, hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose).  

In spite of that, Kirby's dynamic cover art (complete with an evil dwarf and dangling blonde maiden in dire need of rescue) stands out.  In my estimation, RR is a sweet book, tough in grade and sadly under-appreciated.  That's why this'un will always be a prizeworthy Timely grail.

Hey, if you toss one out there, I'll wager someone will snap it up in short order! 

Chuck was apparently trying to drive up the book's price/value and wasn't persuading anybody.  He ended up doing well with the book, but it didn't achieve the high Church multiples he'd been hoping for.  I seem to recall that his wasn't the highest graded pedigreed copy, but I'd have to double check records data as it's been awhile.

I sold a Tough Kid Squad many years ago to a very well known dealer and something he said always stuck with me. He said his experience with one shots are that they are generally avoided by many collectors because there is nothing else to pursue after you buy one and that collectors tend to pursue books that have enjoyed a run. Books like Red Raven 1, Tough Kid Squad, Double Action 2, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1, Big All American, Daredevil Battles Hitler (although it continues as Daredevil with #2), all fall into that category and have historically shown price resistance. It's unfortunate that the stigma persists because there are one shots that are among the greatest books ever published and Red Raven 1 is absolutely one of the greats.       

12 hours ago, Ameri said:

I sold a Tough Kid Squad many years ago to a very well known dealer and something he said always stuck with me. He said his experience with one shots are that they are generally avoided by many collectors because there is nothing else to pursue after you buy one and that collectors tend to pursue books that have enjoyed a run. Books like Red Raven 1, Tough Kid Squad, Double Action 2, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1, Big All American, Daredevil Battles Hitler (although it continues as Daredevil with #2), all fall into that category and have historically shown price resistance. It's unfortunate that the stigma persists because there are one shots that are among the greatest books ever published and Red Raven 1 is absolutely one of the greats.       

This is really interesting; thanks for sharing that! I'm surprised that's a pervasive take, but I guess I'm juat in the minority. I think it's fun to amass cool one-offs, and not always easy. RR#1 remains a grail for me, and I wouldn't mind Tough Kid Squad.

Another that fits this bill, from the 50's, is Jughead's Folly, a wonderful book if you're an Archie fan.

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

This is really interesting; thanks for sharing that! I'm surprised that's a pervasive take, but I guess I'm juat in the minority. I think it's fun to amass cool one-offs, and not always easy. RR#1 remains a grail for me, and I wouldn't mind Tough Kid Squad.

Another that fits this bill, from the 50's, is Jughead's Folly, a wonderful book if you're an Archie fan.

I would never have thought about this myself and it was a surprise take when I heard it but the well-known dealer has been around 30 years and has seen a lot, far more than the average collector could ever experience. I've sensed a lot of resistance to one shots, either in general opinions or hammered prices.  Same with NY World's Fair 1939 and 1940 and the Marvel and Cap Annuals and the 1947 Eerie. Heck, the few books mentioned in this underwhelming thread included Red Raven 1 and Daredevil Battles Hitler right off the bat. Interest levels just appear too low except for a few collectors that rabidly pursue them and final prices just never seem right to me. Great books but the majority of collectors just don't seem that interested. Regarding the recent sales of the Double Action set and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, they ended with respectable prices but I think it was moreso because there haven't been any on the market for years, so rarity may have won in those examples.          

2 hours ago, Ameri said:

I would never have thought about this myself and it was a surprise take when I heard it but the well-known dealer has been around 30 years and has seen a lot, far more than the average collector could ever experience. I've sensed a lot of resistance to one shots, either in general opinions or hammered prices.  Same with NY World's Fair 1939 and 1940 and the Marvel and Cap Annuals and the 1947 Eerie. Heck, the few books mentioned in this underwhelming thread included Red Raven 1 and Daredevil Battles Hitler right off the bat. Interest levels just appear too low except for a few collectors that rabidly pursue them and final prices just never seem right to me. Great books but the majority of collectors just don't seem that interested. Regarding the recent sales of the Double Action set and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly, they ended with respectable prices but I think it was moreso because there haven't been any on the market for years, so rarity may have won in those examples.          

It's just an eye-opener. Most of the books named are pretty cool; I Guess there really isn't much appetite for that type of collecting. Even if you buy well and are Ok with stable value at best, one needs to know they are likely fairly illiquid compared to many other similar price point GA options. I suppose if one really wants any of these type of books in their collection, especially the pricier ones, well-presenting solid but low-grade copies may be the safe way to go, rather than top copy for top dollar.

On 23/02/2017 at 1:28 AM, batman_fan said:

I am going to guess this book would land on a lot of peoples list for underwhelming (I actually love the book).

2440C46B-467F-4D00-B4E6-13CFE27C2193.jpg

I always found the Newsboy Legion reprints very interesting as a British kid in the 70s, especially the very broad and unique-sounding Brooklyn accent.  Well, as written, anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It's just an eye-opener. Most of the books named are pretty cool; I Guess there really isn't much appetite for that type of collecting. Even if you buy well and are Ok with stable value at best, one needs to know they are likely fairly illiquid compared to many other similar price point GA options. I suppose if one really wants any of these type of books in their collection, especially the pricier ones, well-presenting solid but low-grade copies may be the safe way to go, rather than top copy for top dollar.

Another stigma associated with one shots is that the character isn't developed. Can't develop a character in one issue and expect a following. Series like Daring Mystery and Mystic Comics have the same problem. They are runs but all the characters were new issue to issue. They're also not on everybody's hit parade.

Let me correct that last statement. Martin Goodman realized he needed a continuing character and put the Destroyer in Mystics 6-10. Those 5 issues are in very high demand, but the first 5 not so much. I love 'em though and the kid gang books!

star%20spangled%209%20CGC_zpswaadoszg.jp

Back in the 90s when I was attempting to get all of the "first" comics, Famous Funnies, Carnival of Comics, Funnies on Parade, etc. The last one I needed was Skippy's Own Book of Comics. I finally got it. Was very underwhelmed with it, and it was a boat anchor for many years until I was finally able to trade it away

For years I wanted a Reform School Girl.  I was anticipating the interior to be as salacious as the cover.  After a complicated deal I was finally able to track one down and it was delivered on Thanksgiving day by USPS (still not sure how this happened).  I abandoned my family briefly to open it up and read it and the interior was nothing more than nondescript romance tales.  I was so disappointed I sold it within a few weeks.  

22 minutes ago, buttock said:

For years I wanted a Reform School Girl.  I was anticipating the interior to be as salacious as the cover.  After a complicated deal I was finally able to track one down and it was delivered on Thanksgiving day by USPS (still not sure how this happened).  I abandoned my family briefly to open it up and read it and the interior was nothing more than nondescript romance tales.  I was so disappointed I sold it within a few weeks.  

Yep, I'm not a fan of RSG either.... at least not at the current price points.   With a cover like that I'd expect an interior to match.  Guess not.  

4 hours ago, buttock said:

Elitest :baiting: 

You should be thankful you have a great cover.