• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk collection to be auctioned.
18 18

3,495 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Bronty said:

These jokes are nutty.   Corny almost.

Yet y'all keep piling 'em up.

4 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

a fee seize. 

that pun is simply krap-tastic!

Edited by MrBedrock
k for c

26 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

that pun is simply krap-tastic!

I see our time here has been like a good cup of coffee in the morning:   productive.

1 minute ago, Flex Mentallo said:

it's also the wrong color

Wow,this potty talk in browning me out. :insane:

I see what you did with the spelling there lol

Edited by porcupine48

21 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 6/21/2017 at 6:53 PM, lou_fine said:

As Tim has already stated, his max bid was actually a lot higher than what the Church MM 3 actually sold for.  :whatthe:

A year or so ago, I would never have even conceived of paying six figures for a book that's primarily notable for its cover.  But then Suspense 3 broke the $100K barrier, then the $200K barrier, the Fantastic 3 similarly broke the $200k barrier, and most startlingly (pun intended), the Startling 49, which is not a rare book in any way, even in high grade, broke $100K.  So I figured I had to raise my game.

Fortunately, the rest of the world didn't share my level of interest and let me walk it in from half court.

I believe that most knowledgeable collectors share your interest with respect to the Mystery Men 3 cover.  :luhv:

Unlike the Suspense 3 cover and the Startling 49 cover (which btw. I personally don't really find to be that special :whatthe:) which are deemed by most collectors to be unique and special, Fine just has so many other covers that are deemed to be classic and outstanding in their own right, besides just the MM 3 cover.  As a result, I believe that many collectors simply have their own favorite Fine cover that they love, whether that be the Wonderworld 7, the Fantastic 3, or other less acclaimed ones, but almost just as awesome such as National 7, Science 1/2/3, or Hit 1/5.  I believe this wealth of classic and beautiful covers by the same one great artist serves to spread the collector interest and demand (i.e. dollar values) between these various books as opposed to having all  the interest focused in on just one book, with the possible exception of the Fantastic 3.  hm

In terms of classic covers by Fine, I find that his superb cover for Jumbo 11 is in pretty much the same league as most of his other above more commonly acknowledged classic covers.  Yet it still seems to be very much underappreciated by many collectors, and in fact, is still not even broken out in the Overstreet guide.  Go figure that one.  ???  :cloud9:  :takeit: