• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

Ok, best is a subjective term, she is probably the most popular/largest fanbase? The highest number of comic book appearances for any Marvel character created since 2000? Best overall strong female lead? For all the characters listed, I would say Spider Gwen has the best shot at competing, but she is too new IMO. Winter Soldier is a great example, maybe a better overall character, phenomenal storyline, but he is another male character in a sea of them.

I will just change it to "one of the best" to make it easy. She is a female derivative of Marvels second most popular hero behind Spiderman. It creates a huge fanbase, just like DC creating a female derivative of their #1 villain.

That Fox chose to use X-23 has a story point in Hugh Jackman's swan song as Wolverine- a modern 1st appearance OA high-5 figure sale it does not make.  In fact, that almost guarantees it will not be so. BECAUSE it's an X-Men property that Marvel/Disney can't fully exploit, it's will NEVER be a thing, until such time as Fox loses their rights to X-Men.  There's nothing in in it for Disney.  Jessica Jones and Winter Soldier are much better characters, with better stories, and more potential.

On the subject of derivative "new" characters:  Clones aside, offspring of popular characters don't make for that big a deal either.  Nathan Summers/Cable?  Not that big a thing really, for all the (over)exposure of the character. May be in the next Deadpool movie, but again- Fox, not Disney.  

A lot of the 90's "new" characters that were introduced, like Deadpool, Cable, Gambit, Domino, The-guy-that-fought-Deadpool-in-X-Force#2-that-I-never-heard-of-since, etc, that are also associated with some big name artists of their time (Lee, Liefeld) suffer from the movie rights division that has forced Marvel/Disney to massively shift the focus of their printed comics away from properties they can't fully leverage.  That ultimately affects the popularity and value of the art associated to them.

3 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Ok, best is a subjective term, she is probably the most popular/largest fanbase? The highest number of comic book appearances for any Marvel character created since 2000? Best overall strong female lead?

I would think that Jessica Jones (created in 2001) blows X-23 away in terms of name recognition/popularity/fanbase/best female lead and that it wouldn't even be close. 

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

As for non-Marvel, wasn't there a "Blankets" piece of OA that sold for big bucks a while back?  What would the first Scott Pilgrim cover fetch now?  What are the top Chris Ware and Dan Clowes pieces from post-2000 valued at?? :ohnoez: 

The more you think about it the more pieces you can name that might have strong values attached to them. 

9 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Very good points, Gene and SquareChaos. I've been following the thread but I haven't had the time to respond to everything. I now remember that a few pages back I wanted to mention that if the cover for Alias #1 (1st app Jessica Jones) went up for auction simultaneously with NYX #3, and if I had the money, I would bid 3X as aggressively for the Alias cover. If anything, the "finished" Mack cover just has more value. 

I would like to own the NYX 3 cover far more, but too each their own. If we were all interested in the same things the world would be pretty boring. 

9 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

As an aside, I believe the 1st app of Winter Soldier is on CAF. I never thought of it as a 30K page. Expensive, yes. $30K+? I have my doubts.

Well, for Winter Soldier would that page be the number one piece or would it be the variant cover? Both would be super cool and to be honest.

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Also, what about the very popular Spider-Gwen, who I believe is still headlining her own title, unlike X-23? :popcorn: 

Oh X-23 is still headlining her own comic.....The All New Wolverine :roflmao:

15 minutes ago, vodou said:

Wow. And "huh". It's official. I have no idea what's up in any way shape form with the MTU the last twenty years! Actually sounds cool, but really not enough to even google it ;)

I didn't know who this was either, so don't feel bad.

5 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I would think that Jessica Jones (created in 2001) blows X-23 away in terms of name recognition/popularity/fanbase/best female lead and that it wouldn't even be close. 

Really? I have seen hundreds of cosplayers dressed as X-23, I have seen about 5 Jessica Jones? Ask any comic book dealer if they would rather have X-23 stuff on their wall or Jessica Jones, hell ask any art dealer as well. Ask the print sellers who is more popular X-23 or Jessica Jones. It's not even close.

Oh X-23 is still headlining her own comic.....The All New Wolverine :roflmao:

Let's not forget the female Thor character as well, who got lots of media attention a couple of years ago. hm 

10 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Ok, best is a subjective term, she is probably the most popular/largest fanbase? The highest number of comic book appearances for any Marvel character created since 2000? Best overall strong female lead? For all the characters listed, I would say Spider Gwen has the best shot at competing, but she is too new IMO. Winter Soldier is a great example, maybe a better overall character, phenomenal storyline, but he is another male character in a sea of them.

I will just change it to "one of the best" to make it easy. She is a female derivative of Marvels second most popular hero behind Spiderman. It creates a huge fanbase, just like DC creating a female derivative of their #1 villain.

Spider-Gwen is definitely popular, but there are also a lot of people that face palm every time they have to type it or say it or think about it so ... there's some negative push back there as well, but it definitely doesn't seem to be slowing her down.

X-23 will now have to deal with the disconnect from the general populace if the character as she exists in the comics ever gets a different media outlet - with Logan being quite the hit, people probably wouldn't really connect the two:

x-23_0.jpg?w=612

9 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Really? I have seen hundreds of cosplayers dressed as X-23, I have seen about 5 Jessica Jones? Ask any comic book dealer if they would rather have X-23 stuff on their wall or Jessica Jones, hell ask any art dealer as well. Ask the print sellers who is more popular X-23 or Jessica Jones. It's not even close.

Ask the millions of Netflix subscribers if they've even heard of X-23.  How many people over 40 had even heard of X-23 before the recent Logan movie (or reading this thread)?  Even with the Logan film, X-23 and Laura Kinney are hardly household names...Jessica Jones has a high Q rating...X-23/Laura Kinney, not so much. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I think he means from the general population (not in prison, but outside of comics) - as in, my mother recognizes the name 'Jessica Jones.'

X-23 isn't even a name. Hardly no one recognizes the name 'Laura Kinney'.

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Ask the millions of Netflix subscribers if they've even heard of X-23.  

Oh, they have for sure, I am not denying a lot of people know the name Jessica Jones but name recognition doesn't automatically equal popularity.

3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I think he means from the general population (not in prison, but outside of comics) - as in, my mother recognizes the name 'Jessica Jones.'

X-23 isn't even a name. Hardly no one recognizes the name 'Laura Kinney'.

Start referring to Jessica Jones as Jewel and let me know how many people know who you are talking about.

Oh, they have for sure, I am not denying a lot of people know the name Jessica Jones but name recognition doesn't automatically equal popularity.

Start referring to Jessica Jones as Jewel and let me know how many people know who you are talking about.

That is true. Or mention 'Alias' and they'll think of a different TV show.

7 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

Yeah, but you can make that point about any number of characters who have undergone dramatic changes over the past 20 years in comics, and most people won't know WTF you are talking about. (shrug)  At the end of the day, it's irrelevant if Thor is now a girl or Jean Grey is dead (again) or Wolverine is an Avenger or Flash Thompson is Venom or Jessica Jones goes by Jewel...people still know the characters through other media and/or through their classic depiction in comics. 

Edited by delekkerste

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

As for non-Marvel, wasn't there a "Blankets" piece of OA that sold for big bucks a while back?  

The cover to the new edition of Blankets fetched $21,211.11 on eBay in 2012 in a charity auction for flood relief efforts in the Philippines (look at the August 10, 2012 entry on this blog).  Not sure what it would go for now, or what the original edition's cover would fetch.  But, anyway, it's an indication that some of these popular indie/artsy titles/projects might have niche fan bases that would support high prices for originals. 

Edited by delekkerste

12 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, but you can make that point about any number of characters who have undergone dramatic changes over the past 20 years in comics, and most people won't know WTF you are talking about. (shrug)  At the end of the day, it's irrelevant if Thor is now a girl or Jean Grey is dead (again) or Wolverine is an Avenger or Flash Thompson is Venom or Jessica Jones goes by Jewel...people still know the characters through other media and/or through their classic depiction in comics. 

This was the point I was trying to make. (shrug)

Just now, NinjaSealed said:

This was the point I was trying to make. (shrug)

OK, but all it proves is that a character's popularity is not dependent on what they are being called or how they are being depicted in comics these days. hm

I think the winner will be a speculative investor (maybe some would call a gambler) who plans to hold it and hopefully resell it, over it being bought by a fan or collector with deep pockets who "must have" the piece, so, in that way, a bidding war between 2 or more gamblers will or could push it to $35k + is my guess, basibally making the "all-in" (buyer's premium, taxes and shipping) at around $50k total.

57 minutes ago, aka Rick1 said:

I think the winner will be a speculative investor (maybe some would call a gambler) who plans to hold it and hopefully resell it, over it being bought by a fan or collector with deep pockets who "must have" the piece, so, in that way, a bidding war between 2 or more gamblers will or could push it to $35k + is my guess, basibally making the "all-in" (buyer's premium, taxes and shipping) at around $50k total.

My relatively short time watching these things go down... I wouldn't be surprised at anything. However, my take on it is that such a bet would be a huge risk.  I wouldn't want that on my books 2c

On March 2, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Already looking ahead to the next HA auction.  Middleton Nyx #3 certainly grabs my attention.   X23  popularity has grown quite a bit.  

Link

Reading all of the comments on this thread has made me realize how disassociated I've become from new comics and new characters and it's also made me feel kind of left out of the conversation.

I will say this: goid luck to the seller and to all bidders :tink:

Much has been written this morning that I would like to respond to, but can't. Nonetheless, those conversations have led me to this:

• New Mutants #98 (1991) - 1st app Deadpool - traditional pencil & ink with traditional lettering.
  • Alias #1 (2001) 1st app Jessica Jones - Cover: full "artistic" illustration (so it seems to me); interior pages: pencil & ink. Possibly heavy with stats. No lettering.
  • New X-Men #128 (2002) 1st app Fantomex - Looks like pencil and ink interiors exist, but that's just a guess. No traditional lettering(?).
  • NYX #3 (2004) 1app X-23 - Pencil only cover. No background, no traditional lettering.
  • Ultimate Fallout #4 (2011) 1st app Miles Morales - I don't know if artwork exists
  • Captain Marvel #17 (2013) 1st app Kamala Kahn - I don't know if OA exists, but if it does, there'd be a debate as to which pages is the best/true 1st app.
  • Edge of Spider Verse #2 (2014) 1st app Spider-Gwen - I don't think OA exists
  • Jane Foster-Thor, Moon Girl, Indian Spider-Woman -- your guess is as good as mine if OA exists and, if it does, how does it looks like? Pencils? Pencils and inks on separate boards, Inks over bluelines, etc.

First, it's sad that nowadays you can't take for granted if physical artwork exists. Nevertheless, the point I wanted to make across with this list is that that NYX #3 cover is part of a dying breed of physical art. Twenty to twenty-five years from now, if a collector wanted to buy a 1st appearance of a major/popular/important character from the turn of the century, then his or her options are limited. Despite its all-pencil rendering, that NYX #3 is starting to look mighty special right now. 

2c