• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Much has been written this morning that I would like to respond to, but can't. Nonetheless, those conversations have led me to this:

• New Mutants #98 (1991) - 1st app Deadpool - traditional pencil & ink with traditional lettering.
  • Alias #1 (2001) 1st app Jessica Jones - Cover: full "artistic" illustration (so it seems to me); interior pages: pencil & ink. Possibly heavy with stats. No lettering.
  • New X-Men #128 (2002) 1st app Fantomex - Looks like pencil and ink interiors exist, but that's just a guess. No traditional lettering(?).
  • NYX #3 (2004) 1app X-23 - Pencil only cover. No background, no traditional lettering.
  • Ultimate Fallout #4 (2011) 1st app Miles Morales - I don't know if artwork exists
  • Captain Marvel #17 (2013) 1st app Kamala Kahn - I don't know if OA exists, but if it does, there'd be a debate as to which pages is the best/true 1st app.
  • Edge of Spider Verse #2 (2014) 1st app Spider-Gwen - I don't think OA exists
  • Jane Foster-Thor, Moon Girl, Indian Spider-Woman -- your guess is as good as mine if OA exists and, if it does, how does it looks like? Pencils? Pencils and inks on separate boards, Inks over bluelines, etc.

First, it's sad that nowadays you can't take for granted if physical artwork exists. Nevertheless, the point I wanted to make across with this list is that that NYX #3 cover is part of a dying breed of physical art. Twenty to twenty-five years from now, if a collector wanted to buy a 1st appearance of a major/popular/important character from the turn of the century, then his or her options are limited. Despite its all-pencil rendering, that NYX #3 is starting to look mighty special right now. 

2c

New X-Men #128 interiors do exist, I also am unable to answer the others.

2c

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

• Jane Foster-Thor,

I know that the Greg Land variant cover for Edge of Spider-Verse #2 with Spider-Gwen exists, sold by Fanfare-SE when the issue came out.  That was inked by Jay Leistein and is original pencils and inks.

I heard that the Robbie Rodriguez Spider-Gwen original cover art for Edge of Spider-Verse #2 existed, but was destroyed accidentally, so is not available in its original form.  

I know if you consider What If? #11 with Rick Houlberg art, featuring Jane Foster as Thor, that original art exists.

If you're looking at the Russell Dauterman version, then he only rendered digitally and was selling 1/1 computer printouts with a fairly high price tag for what is basically an autographed signed and numbered print. 

6 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Oh well.  At least the OA to the 1st appearance of Gwen Stacy exists, which is really all the matters. :grin: (:

I think I posted these awhile back on another thread, but here are all of my Alias/Pulse pages.

This was the book that kind of got my wife and I into Marvel in the early 2000s. We followed Bendis over from his indie work to this and loved it.

The last image is her 1st app. The first page of the book was just her office door.

IMG_4813.jpg
IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4809.jpg

Does anyone else remember that convention in the hallway at Madison Square Garden in 2003?

Edited by BCarter27

1 hour ago, aka Rick1 said:

I heard that the Robbie Rodriguez Spider-Gwen original cover art for Edge of Spider-Verse #2 existed, but was destroyed accidentally, so is not available in its original form.  

That's a drag. I always hate hearing stuff like that.

I've often wondered if we shouldn't start a wiki somewhere with art that is confirmed destroyed.

26 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I think I posted these awhile back on another thread, but here are all of my Alias/Pulse pages.

This was the book that kind of got my wife and I into Marvel in the early 2000s. We followed Bendis over from his indie work to this and loved it.

The last image is her 1st app. The first page of the book was just her office door.

IMG_4813.jpg
IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4809.jpg

Does anyone else remember that convention in the hallway at Madison Square Garden in 2003?

That is awesome stuff, BCarter. I'm remembering that thread now. I'd love me a nice Gaydos-Alias example. That page 2/1st app is primo. Congrats on owning that. 

Thanks! It really felt like Bendis and Gaydos were doing something new with the art form in that book.

FYI, I think Gaydos's rep still has some nice pages from either the new series or old. Maybe have a look there.

6 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I'd love me a nice Gaydos-Alias example. That page 2/1st app is primo. Congrats on owning that. 

Love Gaydos' Alias art; BCarter has some nice examples.  If I could own any of the interiors, though, I'd want *that* page with Luke Cage (I heard it was eBay a while back) and *that* double-page, er, spread from the origin story. :blush:  

Very cool pages. You should get lettering overlays made for them.

10 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

IMG_4813.jpg
IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg
IMG_4809.jpg

17 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

New X-Men #128 interiors do exist, I also am unable to answer the others.

The Jane Foster female Thor is digital. I remember we had a discussion on here months ago when Clink was auctioning off the two orgin pages, and if they qualified as original art since they were technically one-off prints.

20 hours ago, aka Rick1 said:

2c

I know that the Greg Land variant cover for Edge of Spider-Verse #2 with Spider-Gwen exists, sold by Fanfare-SE when the issue came out.  That was inked by Jay Leistein and is original pencils and inks.

I know if you consider What If? #11 with Rick Houlberg art, featuring Jane Foster as Thor, that original art exists.

If you're looking at the Russell Dauterman version, then he only rendered digitally and was selling 1/1 computer printouts with a fairly high price tag for what is basically an autographed signed and numbered print. 

AKA Rick is back!!! :banana: Check this out, Rick.  I think this might pertain to you. 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

Much has been written this morning that I would like to respond to, but can't. Nonetheless, those conversations have led me to this:

• New Mutants #98 (1991) - 1st app Deadpool - traditional pencil & ink with traditional lettering.
  • Alias #1 (2001) 1st app Jessica Jones - Cover: full "artistic" illustration (so it seems to me); interior pages: pencil & ink. Possibly heavy with stats. No lettering.
  • New X-Men #128 (2002) 1st app Fantomex - Looks like pencil and ink interiors exist, but that's just a guess. No traditional lettering(?).
  • NYX #3 (2004) 1app X-23 - Pencil only cover. No background, no traditional lettering.
  • Ultimate Fallout #4 (2011) 1st app Miles Morales - I don't know if artwork exists
  • Captain Marvel #17 (2013) 1st app Kamala Kahn - I don't know if OA exists, but if it does, there'd be a debate as to which pages is the best/true 1st app.
  • Jane Foster-Thor, Moon Girl, Indian Spider-Woman -- your guess is as good as mine if OA exists and, if it does, how does it looks like? Pencils? Pencils and inks on separate boards, Inks over bluelines, etc.

First, it's sad that nowadays you can't take for granted if physical artwork exists. Nevertheless, the point I wanted to make across with this list is that that NYX #3 cover is part of a dying breed of physical art. Twenty to twenty-five years from now, if a collector wanted to buy a 1st appearance of a major/popular/important character from the turn of the century, then his or her options are limited. Despite its all-pencil rendering, that NYX #3 is starting to look mighty special right now. 

2c

The Ultimate Fallout 4 regular cover exists (with Miles' head visible). Don't know about the interior pages.

somebody help me understand why that is a high profile piece?   OK its a neat joker cover, is that it?   When I google the image I see its detective 880, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about that issue?

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

somebody help me understand why that is a high profile piece?   OK its a neat joker cover, is that it?   When I google the image I see its detective 880, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about that issue?

It is one of the more famous modern DC covers? I've always liked it, it's striking (shrug)

I wouldn't pay $20k for it though.