• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

It is one of the more famous modern DC covers? I've always liked it, it's striking (shrug)

I wouldn't pay $20k for it though.

Its okay?   I don't get paying the 100-150 for a printed one and sure as hell could give a flying fark about the OA for anywhere near that price.   If the FMV of that cover was $1000, I'd still pass.

Get off my lawn!   (shakes cane!)

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

Its okay?   I don't get paying the 100-150 for a printed one and sure as hell could give a flying fark about the OA for anywhere near that price.

Get off my lawn!   (shakes cane!)

For those that don't collect moderns or follow some of the insanity - the prevailing notion is that the practice of slabbing books has made those with desirable covers (whatever that entails across the entire spectrum) more desirable and collectible than ever since all you can see of a slabbed book is the cover anyway. So now if a book comes out with a hot cover the price skyrockets. Typically it's a blip and becomes relatively worthless within a few weeks or months, but for the covers that maintain over time, that type of price is not out of the norm. This book isn't even 'really' a key.

Also, Tec 880 actually made CBR's list of the top 25 most important issues of Tec ever published lol

5 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

For those that don't collect moderns or follow some of the insanity - the prevailing notion is that the practice of slabbing books has made those with desirable covers (whatever that entails across the entire spectrum) more desirable and collectible than ever since all you can see of a slabbed book is the cover anyway. So now if a book comes out with a hot cover the price skyrockets. Typically it's a blip and becomes relatively worthless within a few weeks or months, but for the covers that maintain over time, that type of price is not out of the norm. This book isn't even 'really' a key.

Also, Tec 880 actually made CBR's list of the top 25 most important issues of Tec ever published lol

Thanks.    That's kinda what I guessed except I'm going to go with... low print runs...  once internet groupthink identifies an issue as 'sorta key' and focusses demand on that one issue, it takes very little for it to shoot up in price.   

This seems to me like the kind of book that if it was still 1995, would never become worth much.    The price rise is contingent on the internet making it possible for us to all tell each other that its the book to have.

I'm seeing the sizzle, I'm not seeing the steak.

Edited by Bronty

6 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

That is incredibly hilarious.    Probably a selection made simply to pizz people off and get people talking.    Le sigh!

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

That's kinda what I guessed except I'm going to go with... low print runs...  once internet groupthink identifies an issue as 'sorta key' and focusses demand on that one issue, it takes very little for it to shoot up in price.   

This seems to me like the kind of book that if it was still 1995, would never become worth much.    The price rise is contingent on the internet making it possible for us to all tell each other that its the book to have.

To be fair, it's a very solid run on both the story and art side, so I don't know that I agree with that. I believe 880 is the last issue in the Black Mirror arc that I believe was Scott Snyder's first Batman work.

I think those books will hold value for a long time.

9 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

To be fair, it's a very solid run on both the story and art side, so I don't know that I agree with that. I believe 880 is the last issue in the Black Mirror arc that I believe was Scott Snyder's first Batman work.

I think those books will hold value for a long time.

I'm sure you know way more about it than me, and I'll totally take your word for it, but my cane is a-shakin'!

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

somebody help me understand why that is a high profile piece?   OK its a neat joker cover, is that it?   When I google the image I see its detective 880, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about that issue?

Not much of modern art collector personally, but this was and is a startling and original image.  Hard to believe no one ever tried something like it before and in hindsight, it seems like such an obvious and essential illustration.  But the fact is, this was so new and perfect when it hit, that it qualifies as the often used term "iconic".  Having an original idea in this art form after all these years counts for a lot and this qualifies.  If it's attached to a well regarded run, well so much the better. 

My 2c

Scott

8 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Having an original idea in this art form after all these years counts for a lot and this qualifies.  If it's attached to a well regarded run, well so much the better. 

My 2c

Scott

I agree with that part of it, it occurred to me as well.    Not easy to come up with something kinda new after 879 issues.   That said, I'm not a huge fan of the image.   I don't dislike it, but I'm not exactly enraptured with it.   I know that part is very subjective though.

Edited by Bronty

45 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Not much of modern art collector personally, but this was and is a startling and original image.  Hard to believe no one ever tried something like it before and in hindsight, it seems like such an obvious and essential illustration.  But the fact is, this was so new and perfect when it hit, that it qualifies as the often used term "iconic".  Having an original idea in this art form after all these years counts for a lot and this qualifies.  If it's attached to a well regarded run, well so much the better. 

My 2c

Scott

This sums it up exactly. 

I would love to hold this piece in person to see all the details up close.

People would fight tooth and nail over it if it ever went on the market.

9 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I don't read DETECTIVE, but that is a GREAT cover. 

I'd love to have it in my collection along with one of the sweet CATWOMAN covers Jock has done.

Wasn't the cover done digitally though?

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

If you go back a page, Felix posted an image, I assume it is the original, but I'm just making an assumption there.

It's the original, yes, though, IMO, the published cover looks better with the digital enhancements (more bats, shading/contrast, jarring pop of color).  For me, there are two reasons why the cover works - the first is of course how Joker's visage is being deconstructed into bats, but the second is how he brings the full cray-cray threat/danger to the viewer with the smeared-on Ledger-style lipstick, which is lost in the pen & ink original.  

Not saying that it isn't a great composition, but I think if it had been done as a painting instead of just pen & ink and adding digital elements afterward, it would have worked even better. 2c 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:05 AM, Nexus said:

Jock just posted this on social media:

C8gLTDtXkAAc9cq.jpg

I thought Jock had sold this cover.  I remember asking about it and hearing back that it had already sold.

On Fri Mar 10 2017 at 9:40 AM, delekkerste said:

If this cover hits anywhere near $60K, I'm turning in my resignation from the hobby the next day.* 

If "tfish" won't pay $60K for this, no one will.  Not that I thought for a second that he would contemplate paying that kind of price for it.

Also, count me among those who considers NYX #4 to be the better/definitive X-23 image.

* However, I reserve the right to un-retire like Michael Phelps once I get over the initial shock and loathing! 

I am hereby tendering my resignation from this hobby, effective tomorrow morning!! :mad:

I will likely have un-resigned by the afternoon, though, considering I have some Heritage bids still outstanding. hm

Edited by delekkerste