• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joshua Middleton Nyx #3 Cover...Next HA Auction
2 2

260 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

The post 2000 pieces that would hit $20k let alone $40k has to be a pretty small list. A+ Jim Lee Batman and The Walking Dead would be the only properties I think that may have multiple pieces that would do that. Most would be one offs. Is any post 2000 Mignola work over $20k? I am not sure how much non digital are Bolland is making at the moment, but if they existed I would think a few tings he has done post 2000 would break 20k. Is that DK3 #6 Miller cover that just sold at $55k the highest sale of published post 2000 comic art? Completely theoretical but if Saga #1 cover was not digital it would easily be a $20k plus piece.  Y The Last Man #1 cover?

TWD #1 and 19 for sure would make that list.  Maybe one or more of the TWD die-hards would step up for the next best early Moore cover (#5?), but I think it would be close.  Given the prices of Moore pages at auction these days, clearly any complete stories or even significant groupings of Moore pages would easily vault past $40K.  I doubt any Adlard single works would be in that range considering the HC #1 wraparound cover sold for closer to half that amount last year.  

Some of the Batman Hush covers would definitely top the $40K mark - #608 and the #608 variant covers for sure; probably some of the other better ones as well (a couple have come close already at public auction). 

There are at least 3 James Jean Fables covers that would be in serious contention to hit $40K.  I think the "1001 Nights of Snowfall" HC wraparound would almost surely be valued at that level (it's not among my personal favorites, but many seem to consider it to be the best of the lot).  The Wolves TPB cover and the #1 cover would at least be in the ballpark, if not hitting the mark.  There may be some others as well.  

YTLM 1?  It's definitely a standout...Felix would probably have a better idea on what someone would pay for it in 2017 than I would.  

Don't know the Mignola market at all, so don't know if anything would top $40K post-2000.  Not a Quitely fan either so don't know of anything he might have done that would fetch that kind of money.  Isn't most/all of his stuff pencil-only?  I know people will pay up for his work, but $40K...I would take the under.

I would guess that some post-2000 Alex Ross stuff might be priced that high.

NYX #3 and #4 are 5-figure pieces, but I doubt anywhere near $40K.

You can get low 5-figure Modern outliers like that Paolo Rivera DD cover that sold for $15K...I wouldn't be surprised if some Lee Bermejo piece(s) would fetch that kind of money as well.  I consider my Greg Horn Elektra #3 cover (easily his best-ever piece and one of the very few memorable Marvel covers from the 2000s) to fall into that low 5-figure price range as well.  

I think it's a pretty short list...aside from contributions from veteran artists like Lee and Ross, I think the only real candidates to hit $40K among the rest of the field are important first appearances among mainstream Marvel/DC titles, and important covers from successful independent titles launched during this time period.  

I think $40K is as much or more of a break point for OA than $50K is.  Someone who is willing and able to pay $40K is often willing to pay $50K-$60K for a piece.  And, someone who is willing and able to pay $20-$30K might stretch to the mid-to-high $30Ks.  But the $40K mark really weeds out a lot of potential buyers.  Even for myself, there are pieces that I would consider paying $30-$35K for.  Stretch to $40K, though, and suddenly it becomes a lot easier to say no...you really have to shift another mental gear to justify paying $40K+ for something.

Edited by delekkerste

31 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Where do you put the values of these today? By the tone I assume the Vamp 1 has appreciated far less than the others??

Well, Vampi #1 has probably appreciated 10-fold, if not 12-15x, so it's done just fine.  Let's call it a million bucks plus or minus $250K.  I would think the ASM #31 is somewhere in the same ballpark, but the annualized rate of return difference given that the Vampi #1 cost more than 3x more, is 16.1% for the ASM 31 vs. 10.8% for the Vampi 1, which results in an enormous 41x vs. 13x appreciation difference over 25 years.

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I think it's a pretty short list...aside from contributions from veteran artists like Lee and Ross, I think the only real candidates to hit $40K among the rest of the field are important first appearances among mainstream Marvel/DC titles, and important covers from successful independent titles launched during this time period.  

I pretty much agree with your whole post. There are a lot of post 2000 pieces that would hit 5 figures. Almost too many to list. Many would end in the $12-18k range. I think there is a wall at the $20k range and then again at that $40k range. You can see the trend pretty often, so many pieces fall into that $34-38k bracket.

Getting silly, do any of the A+ Hughes/Campbell/Dell'Otto cover hit the $40k price mark? USM #1 cover? Do any of the best Batman/Spider-man covers have a shot? The Tec #880 cover at auction would be very interesting.(Although i'm not sure is it digital/partially digital? Does anyone know?)

Edited by NinjaSealed

32 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

I pretty much agree with your whole post. There are a lot of post 2000 pieces that would hit 5 figures. Almost too many to list. Many would end in the $12-18k range. I think there is a wall at the $20k range and then again at that $40k range. You can see the trend pretty often, so many pieces fall into that $34-38k bracket.

Getting silly, do any of the A+ Hughes/Campbell/Dell'Otto cover hit the $40k price mark? USM #1 cover? Do any of the best Batman/Spider-man covers have a shot? The Tec #880 cover at auction would be very interesting.

I would think not on Campbell/Dell'Otto.  Hughes, I don't know if there is that one piece (post-2000 only) that stands out above all others that would get a big hitter to lay out that kind of cash or not.

The USM 1 cover...I'd take the under in a no-reserve auction, especially since it's light pencils, no?  

Don't know about 'Tec 880.  Would fetch a big price for sure, but, like I said, a lot of things can stretch into the $20Ks and $30Ks, but getting to $40K is often a bridge too far.  I'd be inclined to take the under again.  

Has anyone bit on Capullo Batman art at $40K+?  $30-$35K?  Others would know better than me.

I heard that someone had put a big offer on the table for that Rafael Albuquerque Batgirl Killing Joke-inspired cover that was pulled from publication.  I forget what the price was, but it was somewhere between $25K and $50K.  

Edited by delekkerste

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Dell'Otto variant covers sell for a big number. Some of the slabs appear to sell for high prices (they often seem to be reported as private sales, for whatever that is worth), and there appears to be a strong fan base both in the US and Europe.

11 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Has anyone bit on Capullo Batman art at $40K+?  $30-$35K?  Others would know better than me.

I heard that someone had put a big offer on the table for that Rafael Albuquerque Batgirl Killing Joke-inspired cover that was pulled from publication.  I forget what the price was, but it was somewhere between $25K and $50K.  

I'm fairly certain their have been offers for the Batman #1 cover in that 30-35k range. I know at first the cover was "available" at 50k but I am not sure if that is still true. A few Miki inked cover just went up at theartistschoice ranging from 20k-50k.

The Albuquerque piece for sure would fetch over 20k. 

25 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

A few Miki inked cover just went up at theartistschoice

I just looked at the prices for both the covers and interiors.  The less said about them, the better. :sick:

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Looks like it was 44k.  And yeah the things Bill could have bought with that money!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1991/12/19/auction/a6fc6c3e-8ed3-44cb-8311-e997f86d8600/?utm_term=.90af8421f8c8

I think Bill did ok on his Xmen 1 when he sold it, although there were probably other things which might have done better on an investment basis alone.  But I believe him when he says he bought it for other reasons than just investment (although investment was a factor).

Scott

By the way, I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually had no real knowledge about X23 before this movie came out or that it was even a thing.  But I don't follow Xmen with quite the same fervor of years past.   I really need to keep up a little better.

Scott

2 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

By the way, I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually had no real knowledge about X23 before this movie came out or that it was even a thing.  But I don't follow Xmen with quite the same fervor of years past.   I really need to keep up a little better.

Scott

Don't be embarassed.   I've never read a single x23 story, or cared to.  Or care to. lol

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Don't be embarassed.   I've never read a single x23 story, or cared to.  Or care to. lol

I wouldn't go that far!  :smile:  Having not read it, it might be great stuff.  I enjoyed Logan the movie.  For all I know, X23 is a great addition to the Xmen universe.  My embarrassment is more about how out of the comic loop I find myself sometimes, after being addicted for so many years.  

Scott

Just now, stinkininkin said:

I wouldn't go that far!  :smile:  Having not read it, it might be great stuff.  I enjoyed Logan the movie.  For all I know, X23 is a great addition to the Xmen universe.  My embarrassment is more about how out of the comic loop I find myself sometimes, after being addicted for so many years.  

Scott

Oh I'm out of the loop too, I just have enough hobbies that I don't really have the desire to catch up.    C'est la vie.

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

YTLM 1?  It's definitely a standout...Felix would probably have a better idea on what someone would pay for it in 2017 than I would. 

I'm pretty sure I've told it here before, but in the time I've owned this cover, I've been offered ever increasing numbers for it. The highest offer would be in the upper range of what's been discussed here. I also understand that I may never get offered as much again, but I really have no desire to sell anytime soon. So all hypothetical until then.

Post-2000, the #1 most valuable piece IMO is TWD #1. Six figures, easy.

Pretty sure DETECTIVE #880 is all-digital...believe it's been talked about here before. A shame.

9 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I'm pretty sure I've told it here before, but in the time I've owned this cover, I've been offered ever increasing numbers for it. The highest offer would be in the upper range of what's been discussed here. 

~$1.25 million? :whatthe::p

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I guess I shouldn't have only skimmed!! Nope, but mid-five figures.

At $1.25M, I would wish the new owner many years of happiness with it!

After the first million, it all just blends together anyway...

Oleg's Mental Gear Shifts for Buying Things:

1. free con sketch (Oleg is old skool.)

2. Death of Wolverine Game Stop sketch cover

3. $65K aka all comic art. (Oleg doesn't know what blue lines are and doesn't care.)

4. Franzonis for Siberian log cabin mancave

5. monthly invoice from hackers

5. island (or peninsula)

Anything more than island is probably "gift from cousin".