• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking the new holder

26 posts in this topic

Has anyone else cracked  books out of the new holder with the inner well? The inner well is so close to the edge of the book and the material so brittle that there is a high risk of damaging the book if you attempt to crack it out. I know most people love the look of the new holder, and it does look good but not all of us want our books entombed in plastic. These inner wells are heat sealed so tight that they will not come apart unless you cut extremely close to the book, risking damage, and even then sections will not separate without splitting in toward the center of the well. 

On the book I cracked today, I trimmed as close as possible on the top and right edge which usually allows two sides to open to make getting the book out possible. The right edge would not come apart and I was within 1/16" of the edge of the comic. I was forced to cut the inner well next to the spine and the material being very thick and brittle caused minor spine stress to get worse, meaning color breaks got bigger. This is extremely upsetting. Anyone else experience this?

Ken

10 minutes ago, Inaflash said:

Has anyone else cracked  books out of the new holder with the inner well? The inner well is so close to the edge of the book and the material so brittle that there is a high risk of damaging the book if you attempt to crack it out. I know most people love the look of the new holder, and it does look good but not all of us want our books entombed in plastic. These inner wells are heat sealed so tight that they will not come apart unless you cut extremely close to the book, risking damage, and even then sections will not separate without splitting in toward the center of the well. 

On the book I cracked today, I trimmed as close as possible on the top and right edge which usually allows two sides to open to make getting the book out possible. The right edge would not come apart and I was within 1/16" of the edge of the comic. I was forced to cut the inner well next to the spine and the material being very thick and brittle caused minor spine stress to get worse, meaning color breaks got bigger. This is extremely upsetting. Anyone else experience this?

Ken

@edowens71 is a crackerjack cracker.  Maybe he has some insights. 

I'm an expert at cracking out the old old cases... I'm pretty good at cracking out the old new cases (before they added back the inner well)...I haven't yet tried to crack out the new new cases with the inner well

:sorry:

Maybe I'll go give one a try... if so, I'll report back.

Just now, edowens71 said:

I'm an expert at cracking out the old old cases... I'm pretty good at cracking out the old new cases (before they added back the inner well)...I haven't yet tried to crack out the new new cases with the inner well

:sorry:

Maybe I'll go give one a try... if so, I'll report back.

Please do. I'd like to know if you have any tips. I had no trouble with the old holders.

Hmm, is there any way to discern a new from old holder, when viewing on the net?  Doesn't sound like I'd wanna take the chance of buying a book inside the new one, since all my comics are in the raw.

It was not fun and far riskier than I wish it had to be.  I would be interested to hear if any one has any secret method that makes it easy.

With the new inner well you do have to be very careful. I trim off the top then cut about two inches down each side between the heat seal and the book. If you lay the book on the edge of a smooth surface you can open the top and slide the book out without stressing the spine.

As an update to that video, Brittany showed me that a short flathead screwdriver..one of those stubby fat ones...works wonders popping the side seals.

Edited by MrBedrock

14 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

With the new inner well you do have to be very careful. I trim off the top then cut about two inches down each side between the heat seal and the book. If you lay the book on the edge of a smooth surface you can open the top and slide the book out without stressing the spine.

As an update to that video, Brittany showed me that a short flathead screwdriver..one of those stubby fat ones...works wonders popping the side seals.

Awesome Richard. I'll try that. Thanks.

Ken

29 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

That was a great little video.  If you work really hard and continue to improve you might be able to make some money doing something related to comics.

31 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

That was a great little video.  If you work really hard and continue to improve you might be able to make some money doing something related to comics.

Gosh, You really think so? That would be so cool. Gee thanks Mister!

Sometimes I resort to using a utility knife to cut wells that are sealed close to the comic.... but the blade MUST be new and sharp, not a time to cut corners with tools. The new slab and well is definitely more difficult to breach. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Just a stray thought:  I wonder what the CCS side of the operation thinks about the increased difficulty of cracking books out? 

Have you seen the new (pdf) submission form? An entire page of legalese that you sign off that essentially says..... "You have sent us a book already in a CGC holder. It is hard to get books out of the CGC holder. The book might get damaged. It might be damaged really, really bad. You agree to accept the risk that the book might get damaged and hold us harmless." 

That said, I've unslabbed 2-3 Generation 2 slabs with the inner well.  The large flat blade screw driver is the tool to use to remove break open the outer shell.  For the inner holder I use a Guillotine trimmer. Cut across the top first, then (super carefully) cut down just a couple of inches on both sides. Lay it flat and slide the book out. The new inner wells do seem to run closer, but it's only scary, not impossible 

1 hour ago, Tony S said:

Have you seen the new (pdf) submission form? An entire page of legalese that you sign off that essentially says..... "You have sent us a book already in a CGC holder. It is hard to get books out of the CGC holder. The book might get damaged. It might be damaged really, really bad. You agree to accept the risk that the book might get damaged and hold us harmless." 

That said, I've unslabbed 2-3 Generation 2 slabs with the inner well.  The large flat blade screw driver is the tool to use to remove break open the outer shell.  For the inner holder I use a Guillotine trimmer. Cut across the top first, then (super carefully) cut down just a couple of inches on both sides. Lay it flat and slide the book out. The new inner wells do seem to run closer, but it's only scary, not impossible 

In a word, ...WOW! :eek: