• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Has anyone clicked on any sales threads? They all have forum selling notices in BOLD letters under the first post.

(worship)

:screwy: Kind of sad when adults need to be led by the hand in order to follow simple guidelines

Indeed,and that new banner is annoying to say the least..

Well, that was aprt of the discussion. We should come to a consesus, maybe take a poll for choosing board members etc and then go to arch with it when it's all said and done.

R.

You posting more books today?

Poof. I just teleported. That was strange.

Any how, Rob, I'll see. I'm tired. Maybe.If I do it'll be at 8 or 9 pm tonite.

R.

Well, that was aprt of the discussion. We should come to a consesus, maybe take a poll for choosing board members etc and then go to arch with it when it's all said and done.

R.

Thats all well and good but some of these changes are so retarded that its clear they aren't fleshed out by anybody but Arch and his belly button lint. Remember the Cluster Foxtrot changes to the overall format of the boards??? He needs to get out more. THIS IS THE INTERNET PEOPLE. The days of top down management in an online setting have been over since Windows 95.

1. Try a beta site

2. Ask people to visit and offer opinions.

3. Implement best usage.

4. Adjust as necessary.

You know what Ed. It's annoying but if it keeps one person from getting ripped off for a big $ of money or prevents another flame war in a selling thread or keeps this place a bit more tame I'm all for it. And I'm sure Arch will tweak it.

R.

I wonder if it would be possible to have the information in the new "Interstitial" section actually be the default text inside the text box when starting a new thread...?

That would kill two birds with one stone, as people would be forced to review it prior to deleting it or whatever...

You know what Ed. It's annoying but if it keeps one person from getting ripped off for a big $ of money or prevents another flame war in a selling thread or keeps this place a bit more tame I'm all for it. And I'm sure Arch will tweak it.

R.

Annoyance level of new banner: 15

Approx number of users seeing it: 1000

Total annoyance: 15 x 1000 = 15,000

Possibility of prevention of scam, flame wars or heated threads: 0.08

Annoyance level of any of the above: 500

Number of affected: 100

Total Annoyance: 0.08 x 500 x 100 = 4000

Ergo: lose the banner.

SUMMER GLAU

(Inspired by XKCD.com humor) at

http://www.xkcd.com/406/

Edited by ft88

I think the banner will not be effective because it doesn't appear until after you post something. It's also grandfathered into all the existing threads. Needs to be proactive instead of after the fact - good start though.

Maybe this new "banner" could be reduced a bit and inserted in the in the "MARKETPLACE USAGE GUIDELINES " box that was created recently. That way it's right there(but smaller than now) and SHOULD be seen before a thread is started.

It wouldn't be so bad if it appeared once per thread.

Not on every page... :frustrated:

agreed...if a happy medium can't be found, I am out of here as a buyer, this is just too annoying (far more annoying that the violating posts, which I can at least avoid)...

Maybe this new "banner" could be reduced a bit and inserted in the in the "MARKETPLACE USAGE GUIDELINES " box that was created recently. That way it's right there(but smaller than now) and SHOULD be seen before a thread is started.

I love it just the way it is. Of course I am partial to S & M. <3

Or perhaps, it could come up as a dialog box at the post creation date, but having it in the thread just scares people away. It also appears to be attributed to the seller. A little knowledge is a dangerous thiing. :grin:

Or perhaps, it could come up as a dialog box at the post creation date, but having it in the thread just scares people away. It also appears to be attributed to the seller. A little knowledge is a dangerous thiing. :grin:

hm

Talk about Just. Plain. Bad. Idea. :sumo:

OK, David, you are one of the more vocal members regarding how this place has gone to the dogs...something I'm in agreement with.

However, what would you suggest is done? (shrug)

For what it's worth, I think the mods' activity should be limited to reviewing posts they are alerted to, and then deleting them if warranted. Period. :sumo:

Unless of course, they want to scan some books for me :whistle:

but having it in the thread just scares people away.

Agreed. The first time I saw it (as a potential buyer), I assumed that the thread in which it appeared was already in violation of the rules for some reason. So it may be damaging (in the short term at least) to legitimate sellers. And since the illegit ones generally don't read (or don't care) about the rules anway, I'm not so sure about its long-term effectiveness...

Edited by mikeyriffhard