• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I have a question for someone smarter than me. This hasn't happened, but I was wondering what happens if someone buys a book on time payments and then half way through decides they no longer want the book? Do they get what they have paid back? Do you keep it all or just a percent? I know it should be agreed upon from the beginning, but most of us do not have published time payment guidelines.

I have a question for someone smarter than me. This hasn't happened, but I was wondering what happens if someone buys a book on time payments and then half way through decides they no longer want the book? Do they get what they have paid back? Do you keep it all or just a percent? I know it should be agreed upon from the beginning, but most of us do not have published time payment guidelines.

Well, I think logic dictates what you've already stated: terms of the sale should be agreed upon prior to the exchange of any money. I don't think the buyer should necessarily forfeit all of the money they have paid, however, they have also kept the seller from liquidating their book in a more timely fashion by agreeing to the time payments. My thoughts are the seller should keep a certain percentage of the amount already paid to cover time, effort, etc.

I only like to do time payments with people I know pretty well... and if they had something come up, I would simply give them their money back. I wouldn't do time payments with them again, but I would let them out of it the first time with no penalty.

Thats a pretty good question Dr. I've done time payments on the board a few times and I've been asked to send a partial payment or deposit to prove I'm interested. I would not expect to get it back if I backed out of the deal. Of course it will vary depending on who you deal with and how well you know and like each other.

I think you are hitting the nail on the head when you suggest a seller should spell out the guidelines of a time payment.

I`ve seen several different scenarios over the years on this subject -- everything from you lose 10% ,15% ,25% or more of the total agreed on purchase price -- I`ve sold on time payments several times before but someone backing out has never happened in any of my cases , so I too am curious as to maybe a standard guidline on this subject-- good point Doc -- --Mike

see we Tennesseans can come up with useful discussion topics --

I've had people need more time, which has never been a problem for me...but backing out...I suppose it would depend on why. If there were an emergency, or if they just saw another shiney nickel they liked more? Emergencies, no question, I'd refund, shiney nickels? I MIGHT have to consider that the same as when someone buys a dress on time, and it's final sale, by the time the payments are made, it's out of season...not sure.

I haven't had any problems either with the payment plans I have been involved with in the past, but I just got to thinking, what if... You know?

If the money was really needed right away, then the seller would never have agreed to time payments in the first place. I feel that the right thing to do would be to return the money. It's not like the book was shipped prior to completing the time payments... 2c

I haven't had any problems either with the payment plans I have been involved with in the past, but I just got to thinking, what if... You know?

If the money was really needed right away, then the seller would never have agreed to time payments in the first place. I feel that the right thing to do would be to return the money. It's not like the book was shipped prior to completing the time payments... 2c

Ah...but what if the seller had another offer or turned down offers from other buyers because they agreed to time payments. Also the seller may have agreed to time payments that would provide the funds he needed 'in time' for his needs and now that the deal has fallen through and he is in a sticky pickle. I think in most cases we are reasonable people, but what happens when someone you deal with is not. We see these problems on Ebay all the time.

What the hell is a sticky pickle anyways?

OK, just a for instance...Jim agrees to buy my NM Gobblygook 12, for $500.00, it's VERY hot on Ebay right now, seilng for $600, but I give him a break, since there are no fees here, he's dying for one...He's broke, I give him ..3 months to pay. During month 3, Gobblygook 12 is discovered in a warehouse, there are tons of them. He is one payment away from finishing,...They now go on Ebay for $12.00.

He says, he's changed his mind...

Would you gladly refund, since you didn't need the money?

I've also seen people commit the money they are getting in time payments to some other venture...

Just being :devil:

Ah...but what if the seller had another offer or turned down offers from other buyers because they agreed to time payments. Also the seller may have agreed to time payments that would provide the funds he needed 'in time' for his needs and now that the deal has fallen through and he is in a sticky pickle. I think in most cases we are reasonable people, but what happens when someone you deal with is not. We see these problems on Ebay all the time.

What the hell is a sticky pickle anyways?

It's a relative of Gooblygook 12 (I can't even spell it the same twice, lol;)

OK, just a for instance...Jim agrees to buy my NM Gobblygook 12, for $500.00, it's VERY hot on Ebay right now, seilng for $600, but I give him a break, since there are no fees here, he's dying for one...He's broke, I give him ..3 months to pay. During month 3, Gobblygook 12 is discovered in a warehouse, there are tons of them. He is one payment away from finishing,...They now go on Ebay for $12.00.

I've also seen people commit the money they are getting in time payments to some other venture...

That sounds sinister! If someone had that motivation, I'm not sure I would feel so charitable.

I freely admit that I'm guilty of using time payments to help me support two purchases simultaneously... :tonofbricks:

I've lost track of how many times I wanted to pop a :takeit: even with the sellers offering time payments. My thought though is if I can't afford it up front then it's probably best to wait til I can. I think the most I've done from time to time is to take a month or two advance on my allowance but even then I'm still spending money we have--I just have to repay the short-term savings account.

I've lost track of how many times I wanted to pop a :takeit: even with the sellers offering time payments. My thought though is if I can't afford it up front then it's probably best to wait til I can. I think the most I've done from time to time is to take a month or two advance on my allowance but even then I'm still spending money we have--I just have to repay the short-term savings account.

I wish that I was so financially responsible....

I pretty much feel the same way Forrest, for myself...If I can't pay up front, I don't buy it, however I have one boarder who has been buying some of my Marvels, who is just marvelous, and I trust him completely, I really don't mind helping someone else out at all...but I'd drive myself crazy if I owed money, so I don't do that.

I should modify my statement, I had one person reneg on time payments, but he never made any, and he lost his babysitter, so it was a non issue for me...

Don't do time payments on a "hot" book.

It might cool off in the time frame. doh!

:gossip:Would you gladly refund, since you didn't need the money?

Don't do time payments on a "hot" book.

It might cool off in the time frame. doh!

:gossip:Don't worry, I don't OWN any "hot" books;) except that gooblygook 12;) It was just hypothetical;)

I only like to do time payments with people I know pretty well... and if they had something come up, I would simply give them their money back. I wouldn't do time payments with them again, but I would let them out of it the first time with no penalty.

Completely agree with this :applause:

You know, they did a whole comic based on that. :kidaround: