• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

If a seller states that any books of theirs might be pressed, should that relieve them of disclosing, if known, if directly asked?

Any book that I didn't personally buy off the racks, has a possibility of kitty pee on it. :insane:

If you were selling a book with kitty pee on it....would you disclose the pee....or just state the following:

These books may have kitty pee on them

?

I just did . . . do I have to do it for every freakin' book? :insane:

Not necessarily. Just remove "may" from your blanket statement.

These books have kitty pee on them

Problem solved. ^^

If a seller states that any books of theirs might be pressed, should that relieve them of disclosing, if known, if directly asked?

Any book that I didn't personally buy off the racks, has a possibility of kitty pee on it. :insane:

If you were selling a book with kitty pee on it....would you disclose the pee....or just state the following:

?

Problem solved. ^^

But THAT would be lying . . . hm

?

Problem solved. ^^

Then just take the friggin' time to distinguish which books have kitty pee & which ones don't. :makepoint:

?

Problem solved. ^^

Then just take the friggin' time to distinguish which books have kitty pee & which ones don't. :makepoint:

Well, for a start I think we need to determine exactly what constitutes kitty pee. hm

?

Problem solved. ^^

Well, the point is I don't know - I've bought a gazillion books off cd4ever, and he doesn't even seem to know what kitty pee is . . . (shrug)

?

Problem solved. ^^

Well, the point is I don't know - I've bought a gazillion books off cd4ever, and he doesn't even seem to know what kitty pee is . . . (shrug)

I know it when I taste it. But I didn't think you wanted me licking your books before I mailed them. :headbang:

Now you know the reason why I hate cats :D

I like cats - I just can't eat a whole one by myself anymore :insane:

I think that some of you don't understand that Steve is not real concerned whether he sells his books today or next week. He knows that what he has, is going to sell, so he is "carefree" and not about to bend over backwards for a potential buyer. Either you buy his book or you don't.

As many books as I am sure that he has, it would be impracticle for him to keep records or remember what was pressed and what was not.

Now I do understand that someone might want to purchase a 9.0 or whatever and hope that they can have it pressed and maybe get a 9.2 or 4 out of the deal. So, knowing whether any specific book has been pressed already would be a big factor for someone like that. But if you like the book as it is, what does it matter if it was pressed?

I really do not understand this "pressed" thing, I must admit. If CGC can not detect it and/or does not remark of it on the label, what does it matter (except for those looking to do it themselves as I mentioned above)? Can CGC detect it? Is it a crime to sell a book that has been pressed and not disclose it? Do you know if there are any books in your personal collection that diffinitely, beyond any doubt, have never been pressed, except the ones you purchased as the original owner?

I just don't get this "pressed" argument. But I have never contemplated having one pressed or even restored. I take them as they are. Sort of like my 56' Coronet. Sure I could have it painted and "souped" up and install a CD player, but I won't. I like it original. But I do wash it, wax it and I have rubbed out some scratches. Is that comparable to "pressing" a comic book? Apples to oranges I know, but I was just trying to understand the argument about pressing. What exactly is the bad thing about having a book pressed? Does it make the book more likely to deteriorate sooner than normal?

I think that some of you don't understand that Steve is not real concerned whether he sells his books today or next week. He knows that what he has, is going to sell, so he is "carefree" and not about to bend over backwards for a potential buyer. Either you buy his book or you don't.

Wow! Are you his Mom? lol:baiting:

Now you know the reason why I hate cats :D

I like cats - I just can't eat a whole one by myself anymore :insane:

:signfunny:

I imagine this is a regional thing? :roflmao:

Let's please not discuss pressing in this thread. There are millions of posts elsewhere on the subject.

Well, to be fair though T, you did mention we should talk about the general sales issues here as opposed to in Steve's sales thread. If not here, where? But you are right in that we should keep it focused specifically to the specific sales and not pressing in general.

Ideally, Steve would know whether or not a specific book he is selling has been pressed or not--but my guess is he has far more books than I do so that'd be difficult to keep track of. Since he can't be sure, at least he is letting us know that it would be safest for us to assume as such, and I think that's being responsible. Could the disclaimer have been a bit more clear? Sure, but it is there and that's better than some. And Conditionfreak, I DO think it would be poor form for someone to knowingly sell a pressed book without disclosure only because (as seen) there are a number of members who would have rather not purchased the book if they knew is was pressed. Accidents happen with regards to selling books that have been pressed (or even having some restoration :o ), but so long as we do our best to know as much as we can about our funny books, then that's the best we can do! :)

And cat pee is stinky. I like musty smelling comics, but I wouldn't like that! :sick:

Wow! Are you his Mom? lol:baiting:

No silly. Of course not. I have never met him but I have read his writings and sales threads here, and I have conversed with him via PM's for a short while now about a book he offered to sell me, and going by my PM's with him concerning said book and by his responses to others here concerning "issues" they have with him about books, prices and pressing, it seems obvious to me that he just doesn't care a whole lot if you or anyone else buys his books today. It seems to me that he is confident in his books selling tomorrow or the next day, and that he is confident in knowing that what he currently owns will only be more valuable in the near future.

I would be astounded if he does not have some of the finest and highest graded books of any of us here, and amazed if he doesn't have some real surprises in his "storage" place.

Of course I could be totally wrong. I actually could be his mother on Bizarro world. Which I think could actually be THIS world, after reading some of these posts. Maybe we should all pick one day to post everything like a Bizarro would. You know. Like Joe Collector saying nice things to someone, or maybe cujobyte praising our current President, or maybe even sborock saying that this or that particular book is diffinitely not pressed. Maybe we could all say, in unison, that Ebay is a wonderful tool for selling our most prized books, or for buying great books.

Naw........forget I said all of that nonsense. Let's get back to more "pressing" issues.

Edited by conditionfreak

Bizzaro Mom, is that you? I have been looking for you for years. Please come home. Old Yeller (my cat peed comic ) and I miss you sooooo much!

Don't let them get to ya! It's Cyber-Space. Just have some fun! (thumbs u