• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It isn't that chatter or a few friendly replies are a bad thing. A social atmosphere, even in the Marketplace is a nice thing.

For me there is a point of excessiveness, and it has been crossed a lot lately. It is one thing to be polite, friendly, or constructive. It is another to reply to every other post with a gremlin that doesn't even make sense half the time.

Sure a friendly post is good for bumping threads and creating interest, but most of us don't live on theses boards and I can guarantee that there have been sales lost by sellers just because I don't have time to wade through 100 pointless posts to see what has been listed or still available.

Some people need attention, I guess. Nothing new around here.

Speaking as someone who has watched a sales thread drop to the second page in less than 8 hours without chatter,

I voted for chatter, I understand some people that think the sky is falling doc.gif but most threads will survive longer with a little friendly banter.

forum_nazi.jpg

Speaking as someone who has watched a sales thread drop to the second page in less than 8 hours without chatter,

I completely understand this and have seen it happen dozens of times. But that just drives the point home; lots, dare I say most, of those other threads that are doing the bumping are doing so because they are full of chatter.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It isn't that chatter or a few friendly replies are a bad thing. A social atmosphere, even in the Marketplace is a nice thing.

For me there is a point of excessiveness, and it has been crossed a lot lately. It is one thing to be polite, friendly, or constructive. It is another to reply to every other post with a gremlin that doesn't even make sense half the time.

Sure a friendly post is good for bumping threads and creating interest, but most of us don't live on theses boards and I can guarantee that there have been sales lost by sellers just because I don't have time to wade through 100 pointless posts to see what has been listed or still available.

Some people need attention, I guess. Nothing new around here.

I agree with Michael. :)

I voted for chatter, I understand some people that think the sky is falling doc.gif but most threads will survive longer with a little friendly banter.

forum_nazi.jpg

But . . . I also agree with Will. :)

I completely understand this and have seen it happen dozens of times. But that just drives the point home; lots, dare I say most, of those other threads that are doing the bumping are doing so because they are full of chatter.

And then again . . . I agree with Mike. :)

I don't mind the chatter. Nothing worse than posting comics for sale and wondering if there is anyone watching. If the gremlins get out of hand then I would post a list of what has not sold yet. Of course if I don't have any ASM or Love crud grinder and greggy's gremlins don't help much.

There's adequate regulation and micromanagement on these boards as it is - yes, the graemlining/bantering in certain threads can occasionally be irritating, but it's up to the seller of the thread in question to make sure that the derailments don't get out of control. Some, like cd4ever, encourage it and I really don't see the problem in that case. If you don't like the banter, scroll through it until you reach the next new scan.

There's adequate regulation and micromanagement on these boards as it is - yes, the graemlining/bantering in certain threads can occasionally be irritating, but it's up to the seller of the thread in question to make sure that the derailments don't get out of control. Some, like cd4ever, encourage it and I really don't see the problem in that case. If you don't like the banter, scroll through it until you reach the next new scan.

(thumbs u

I think it's up to the seller to regulate his own thread, especially since some WANT the banter.

For me there is a point of excessiveness, and it has been crossed a lot lately.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

^^

There seems to be a lot of people on here missing that integral "enough is enough" gene.

Bingo, besides it is not nearly as much of a concern as people posting stuff like...Oh, double guide...good luck with that, or I see those on ebay for less...

If you are going to be angry at anyone, take it out on the people that make that type of post.

If the seller feels the thread is totally out of control, post an updated list of what is for sale to bring it back around, most of it is good natured fun and not meant to harm anyone. These are COMIC BOOKS people, hello....the very name implies a bit of kidding around, if we were selling medical supplies or weapons, it would be different. Some people get so wrapped up in the $'s they forget to enjoy the hobby.

Not to mention the fact your ruining the holiday spirit....

normal_santa_dead.jpg

Bingo, besides it is not nearly as much of a concern as people posting stuff like...Oh, double guide...good luck with that, or I see those on ebay for less...

If you are going to be angry at anyone, take it out on the people that make that type of post.

If the seller feels the thread is totally out of control, post an updated list of what is for sale to bring it back around, most of it is good natured fun and not meant to harm anyone. These are COMIC BOOKS people, hello....the very name implies a bit of kidding around, if we were selling medical supplies or weapons, it would be different. Some people get so wrapped up in the $'s they forget to enjoy the hobby.

Not to mention the fact your ruining the holiday spirit....

normal_santa_dead.jpg

Santa Claus has been dead for 8 years? :sumo:

:sorry:

These are COMIC BOOKS people, hello....the very name implies a bit of kidding around, if we were selling medical supplies or weapons, it would be different.

Could you please explain this bizarre statement?

You're saying that spending $10K on medical supplies should be treated with complete professionalism and dignity, but a $10K transaction on a GA book should be conducted like a drunken 10-year old with zero professionalism and even less tact?

These are COMIC BOOKS people, hello....the very name implies a bit of kidding around, if we were selling medical supplies or weapons, it would be different.

You're saying that spending $10K on medical supplies should be treated with complete professionalism and dignity, but a $10K transaction on a GA book should be conducted like a drunken 10-year old with zero professionalism and even less tact?

Well if you don't know the difference between the medical supplies and comic books, there is no helping you. One is life and death, the other is not.

:sumo:

Well if you don't know the difference between the medical supplies and comic books, there is no helping you.

P.S. In case you're missing the point (which is quite obvious), ANY transaction involving a buyer and seller should be conducted with professionalism and tact. Just because someone spent $10K on a GA comic rather than a crate of earwax remover doesn't mean the one sale is a joke, and the other some life-altering experience.