• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed. :eek:

That is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time - can't believe he'd say that to you with a straight face.

Received this in a box with a lot of moderns about a month or so ago:

usps_notice.jpg

Books were unmolested.

I am curious was the package opened from where it was shipped from, from where it was received from or somewhere in the middle of transit? Sorry I cannot read the stamp nor do I know the chain of origin either.

Media mail can be opened any time during its travel. Anything with advertisement is not valid for media mail. DC Dollar comics are fine as they have no ads.

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed. :eek:

That is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time - can't believe he'd say that to you with a straight face.

I don't disagree... lol ....but I've heard it multiple times, from multiple USPS clerks.

Received this in a box with a lot of moderns about a month or so ago:

usps_notice.jpg

Books were unmolested.

I am curious was the package opened from where it was shipped from, from where it was received from or somewhere in the middle of transit? Sorry I cannot read the stamp nor do I know the chain of origin either.

Media mail can be opened any time during its travel. Anything with advertisement is not valid for media mail. DC Dollar comics are fine as they have no ads.

Package was opened in Dublin, OH (state of origin). But, yes, the package can be opened at any location during the shipment. IIRC, there were books that contain ads. Ultimately, I think it's up to each P.O. to make the judgement as to what's acceptable.

I don't disagree... lol ....but I've heard it multiple times, from multiple USPS clerks.

Postal regulations for "Standard Mail", of which Media Mail is a service, say that items that are undelvierable and bear no "endorsement" will be "disposed of" by the post office.

By the book, in order to get a Media Mail package forwarded or returned you must write "return/forwarding service requested" on it. In practice, they return it anyway. But, also by the book, they can make you pay for the return trip.

One of the reasons a package can be declared "undeliverable" is "Minimum criteria for mailability not met." A media package that fails inspection does not meet the "mailability" requirement.

Its all here right up top and in section 1.5.3.

So, the claim by the clerks is valid. In practice, they get sent back to you, sometimes postage due, sometimes not. But the package could be disposed of at the post office's discretion.

Edited by ckb

One of the reasons a package can be declared "undeliverable" is "Minimum criteria for mailability not met." A media package that fails inspection does not meet the "mailability" requirement.

So, the claim by the clerks is valid. In practice, they get sent back to you, sometimes postage due, sometimes not. But the package could be disposed of at the post office's discretion.

No, they are treated as an under-stamped letter or package, and get delivered to the recipient with postage due (my brother-in-law works for USPS - I just called & asked him directly about this).

No, they are treated as an under-stamped letter or package, and get delivered to the recipient with postage due (my brother-in-law works for USPS - I just called & asked him directly about this).

This has happened to me. (It was opened and I had to pay the postage to my post man.)