• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Wow! A lot of liberties being taken in the grading arena in the VCC doh! Worse than eBay :sumo::eek:

Well, I listed my old ASM 129 as a VG/FN to FN- Qualified due a coupon being cut out. Obviously, CGC would grade this between a 1.0 - 1.5 (I've seen Hulk 181s get the FR/GD for the coupon), but my reason for grading it as such was I wanted buyers to know how it presented. I disclosed the cut out coupon (which is more than I was told when I bought it off eBay doh! ) and provided pictures to interested parties so they could see it as well. Additionally, I priced the book well enough below guide to account for the fact it was not an actual VG/FN to FN-.

I'm not inferring that you were referencing my miniscule VCC booth, but if you were, I do think I acted fairly enough. :foryou:

Do they give you expedited service? For instance, if someone sends you a long box media and they open it and decide it's not media, does it then come priority? I suppose it's impossible to argue that it should've come parcel post at worst?

:roflmao: Are you serious?

Hey Mack, this skinflint's tryin' to ship this junk Media, what say we bump it up to Express for him :insane:

Wow! A lot of liberties being taken in the grading arena in the VCC doh! Worse than eBay :sumo::eek:

Well, I listed my old ASM 129 as a VG/FN to FN- Qualified due a coupon being cut out. Obviously, CGC would grade this between a 1.0 - 1.5 (I've seen Hulk 181s get the FR/GD for the coupon), but my reason for grading it as such was I wanted buyers to know how it presented. I disclosed the cut out coupon (which is more than I was told when I bought it off eBay doh! ) and provided pictures to interested parties so they could see it as well. Additionally, I priced the book well enough below guide to account for the fact it was not an actual VG/FN to FN-.

I'm not inferring that you were referencing my miniscule VCC booth, but if you were, I do think I acted fairly enough. :foryou:

considering that you included additional books within the lot, i thought that $65 was pretty good, so thats why i bought it. considering that when i first bought a 129 during th popularity that punny had, it was missing half of the first page and i bought that one for $100 (hey i was 13), getting this one that is much more presentable with additional books? $65 is well worth it.

how do they exactly grade qualified books anyway?

j

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed. :eek:

That is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time - can't believe he'd say that to you with a straight face.

I don't disagree... lol ....but I've heard it multiple times, from multiple USPS clerks.

One of the reasons a package can be declared "undeliverable" is "Minimum criteria for mailability not met." A media package that fails inspection does not meet the "mailability" requirement.

Its all here right up top and in section 1.5.3.

So, the claim by the clerks is valid. In practice, they get sent back to you, sometimes postage due, sometimes not. But the package could be disposed of at the post office's discretion.

No, they are treated as an under-stamped letter or package, and get delivered to the recipient with postage due (my brother-in-law works for USPS - I just called & asked him directly about this).

As I posted, this is what happens in practice but the regulations say otherwise. Don't take my work for it - read them - I linked them for everyone. The postal workers are trained to dissuade customers from using Media Mail services by truthfully quoting the regulations.

edit: Oops, I see the "No" was probably about the "sent back to you" part. I've seen it both ways - sent to ther destination with postage due and I've gotten a few back as well.

Edited by ckb

In NYC, if you send something Media Mail, the clerk will make a point of telling you that if the package is opened and found to have contents that are against MM regulations, the contents will be destroyed. :eek:

That is the silliest thing I've heard in a long time - can't believe he'd say that to you with a straight face.

I don't disagree... lol ....but I've heard it multiple times, from multiple USPS clerks.

One of the reasons a package can be declared "undeliverable" is "Minimum criteria for mailability not met." A media package that fails inspection does not meet the "mailability" requirement.

So, the claim by the clerks is valid. In practice, they get sent back to you, sometimes postage due, sometimes not. But the package could be disposed of at the post office's discretion.

No, they are treated as an under-stamped letter or package, and get delivered to the recipient with postage due (my brother-in-law works for USPS - I just called & asked him directly about this).

As I posted, this is what happens in practice but the regulations say otherwise. Don't take my work for it - read them - I linked them for everyone. The postal workers are trained to dissuade customers from using Media Mail services by truthfully quoting the regulations.

edit: Oops, I see the "No" was probably about the "sent back to you" part. I've seen it both ways - sent to ther destination with postage due and I've gotten a few back as well.

Yeah, that's what my "no" was referring to.

But according to the regulations you quote above, any sort of infraction - including not putting the correct amount of postage on a package - could result in the package being declared "unmailable" and subsequently destroyed. It wouldn't make sense for the USPS to do so, though, when they can just process it & hit you up for the extra postage afterwards ...

Yeah, that's what my "no" was referring to.

But according to the regulations you quote above, any sort of infraction - including not putting the correct amount of postage on a package - could result in the package being declared "unmailable" and subsequently destroyed. It wouldn't make sense for the USPS to do so, though, when they can just process it & hit you up for the extra postage afterwards ...

I've been a Letter Carrier for Canada Post for 30 years. To my knowledge the only mail we destroy/shred is third class advertising. Destroying mail because it has insufficient postage would not endure us to the public. Typically we return mail to the sender with a sticker over the recipients address. The sticker would request the additional postage required.

I actually received a small box that said "POSTAGE DUE" on it from an eBay seller, but it was only 37 cents (the price for 1 oz. of 1st Class mail then) and the box was just sitting on my doorstep. I guess either the mailman didn't care about 37¢ or he didn't see it.

(shrug)

-slym

I actually received a small box that said "POSTAGE DUE" on it from an eBay seller, but it was only 37 cents (the price for 1 oz. of 1st Class mail then) and the box was just sitting on my doorstep. I guess either the mailman didn't care about 37¢ or he didn't see it.

(shrug)

-slym

It's the government don't forget, so that $.37 became a lien against your house and with interest and fees is now several hundred dollars.

:tonofbricks:

(man, I hope I'm joking... :wishluck: )

Do they give you expedited service? For instance, if someone sends you a long box media and they open it and decide it's not media, does it then come priority? I suppose it's impossible to argue that it should've come parcel post at worst?

They don't tell you what level of service... Sheesh.

They say "You OWE $4.57 cents because we opened this package, rummaged through it, bent all the comics in it, and then left this piece of paper in it telling you the contents don't qualify as MEDIA MAIL."

I assume it's the next cheapest appropriate level. (shrug)

I was wondering if I might be able to get some opinions on how much a CGC 9.8 Action Comics #1 1988 reprint is worth?
Gpa says about 100$

I was wondering if I might be able to get some opinions on how much a CGC 9.8 Action Comics #1 1988 reprint is worth?
Gpa says about 100$
Thanks! (thumbs u

So, according to a post in the Mixed Age section, the mods have given the approval for sale of Playboys. 2 problems with this: 1) Since when do they allow non-comic related sales? I guess now it's doesn't have to be comic related, just CGC related. and 2) Does this mean they should create a non-comic subforum or an adult sub-forum?

Discuss.

So, according to a post in the Mixed Age section, the mods have given the approval for sale of Playboys. 2 problems with this: 1) Since when do they allow non-comic related sales? I guess now it's doesn't have to be comic related, just CGC related. and 2) Does this mean they should create a non-comic subforum or an adult sub-forum?

Discuss.

That second point is something a few of us were PMing each other about today if Playboys are going to be sold on the forum regularly.

There is the chance for the need to create an ADULTS ONLY section, with a disclaimer that if you are making purchases in that thread, you are validating legal age to do so.

I can see this getting tricky since someone was already caught lying about their age to stay on the board.

Discuss.

That second point is something a few of us were PMing each other about today if Playboys are going to be sold on the forum regularly.

There is the chance for the need to create an ADULTS ONLY section, with a disclaimer that if you are making purchases in that thread, you are validating legal age to do so.

I can see this getting tricky since someone was already caught lying about their age to stay on the board.

This notional subforum would also probably be the more appropriate place for selling risque and underground comics.

If we have this sort material to be sold here, I still think it goes without saying (even though I'm saying it! ;) ) that covers still need to be censored appropriately (black bars as needed, etc).

Personally, I'm ok with that stuff being sold elsewhere but considering CGC is open to slabbing it, then I'm not sure it's out of line for those CGC items to be sold here. But it does need to be done tastefully.

And yeah, separate sub forum as I've only recently gotten my wife to be cool with my continuous browsing of this place. The LAST thing I need is for her to see my scanning For Sale threads to see me looking through a bunch of Playboys. And I considering the current format, I don't think it'd be out of line to to have a subforum for Adult Material ONLY. I'm here for comics... not for Playboys.

2c

Edited by Mac Man