• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago?

Because now they have the funds? I am sure most folks here are looking for deals, but I also don't have an issue with folks selling books at whatever their asking price. If the price is too high the books wont sell, correct?

Warning: rantrant dead ahead ......

I've always thought of the Board Only Selling Forum as a place where one goes to get/give a "good" deal from/to another member of this community. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of folks listing books here for considerably more than these exact same books sold for just a few months ago at one of the major auction houses. Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago? I have nothing against capitalism and/or flipping per se, but I would never try beat my own family out of a few bucks. Note the prospective buyers: Heritage's Permanent Auction Archives is your friend.

And now, we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Don't buy from those people. That is what I do. There are plenty of forum members I wont deal with because I do not agree with how they do business. (thumbs u

Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago?

Because now they have the funds? I am sure most folks here are looking for deals, but I also don't have an issue with folks selling books at whatever their asking price. If the price is too high the books wont sell, correct?

(thumbs u

There are those of us (specifically me) that aren't savvy and bought some books well over guide/market and just hope to break even OR need the cash (unemployed).

That's one reason I'm hesitant to sell on the boards - not because I'm afraid to ask for what I want, but because I might alienate some folks that think I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for asking 100% (or more) of guide price. (shrug)

If one can offer great deals I think that's super, but some don't, can't or may just not know any better. :(

I've always thought of the Board Only Selling Forum as a place where one goes to get/give a "good" deal from/to another member of this community. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of folks listing books here for considerably more than these exact same books sold for just a few months ago at one of the major auction houses. Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago? I have nothing against capitalism and/or flipping per se, but I would never try beat my own family out of a few bucks. Note the prospective buyers: Heritage's Permanent Auction Archives is your friend.

:applause::hi:

I always price my raw books at least 50% off of Guide and my graded books under GPA

Sometimes they still don't sell :sorry:

Offer HG Tecs and we can talk.

And I have offered nice books at 25% OF guide. Not OFF. And still no bites. This place can be quite strange.

I don't have any problem with people marking their books at whatever price they want. If it doesn't sell, then they can keep it or mark it down. I buy books all the time that I plan on reselling, because the ONLY way I can afford to buy more books is to speculate a little. Personally, no issue with that whatsoever, it's whatever the market will bear. After all every vintage comic book in existence was bought at some point, so technically their all being flipped. lol

I've always thought of the Board Only Selling Forum as a place where one goes to get/give a "good" deal from/to another member of this community. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of folks listing books here for considerably more than these exact same books sold for just a few months ago at one of the major auction houses. Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago? I have nothing against capitalism and/or flipping per se, but I would never try beat my own family out of a few bucks. Note to prospective buyers: Heritage's Permanent Auction Archives is your friend.

I gotta agree.. while there are some great deals on the boards lately, it seems that most people are pricing their books way too high. I've hardly bought anything here this summer.. I've found better deals on ebay, heritage, and comiclink.

I've always thought of the Board Only Selling Forum as a place where one goes to get/give a "good" deal from/to another member of this community. Frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of folks listing books here for considerably more than these exact same books sold for just a few months ago at one of the major auction houses. Why would anyone pay 30~40% more for the same specimen they passed on just a few short weeks/months ago? I have nothing against capitalism and/or flipping per se, but I would never try beat my own family out of a few bucks. Note to prospective buyers: Heritage's Permanent Auction Archives is your friend.

I gotta agree.. while there are some great deals on the boards lately, it seems that most people are pricing their books way too high. I've hardly bought anything here this summer.. I've found better deals on ebay, heritage, and comiclink.

But really...if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Pretty simple, really.

Pretty simple, really.

I agree with all of you. Gouging is always a negative, however when seller on her offer good deals, their books get snapped up in a heartbeat. Saving the seller a 10% or more commission, which results in the buyer getting a better deal while the seller comes out good financially with a quicker and safer sell.

Those who mark their stuff up too much usually just end up with wasting time and then when they lower the price, buyers often feel there isn't much interest in the book that's been sitting around and it is tough to move anyway. In the end the seller has to go to the traditional route, pay the commission and sell their books for the going price instead of the dream price.

Pretty simple, really.

Exactly.

Pretty simple, really.

Hey, no problem there. I'm getting quite good at not buying things. It's a lot more fun to pop the :takeit: guy, though.

While I agree that a seller has a right to ask for anything he wants, sellers should keep in mind that there are no sales fees here. Asking for last GPA is not acknowledging this fact. I have seen a few Sellers lately quoting GPA on raw books. I have also seen sellers asking for an extra 3% if using Paypal. In summary, many sellers lately want the highest price with no fees and no slabbing costs. Unbelievable.

While I agree that a seller has a right to ask for anything he wants, sellers should keep in mind that there are no sales fees here. Asking for last GPA is not acknowledging this fact. I have seen a few Sellers lately quoting GPA on raw books. I have also seen sellers asking for an extra 3% if using Paypal. In summary, many sellers lately want the highest price with no fees and no slabbing costs. Unbelievable.

I agree with this 100% in fact when I see a seller tack on the 3% paypal cost I close the thread, no matter how much I want a certain book solely on a matter of principal.

But I do applaud the sellers that give a 3% discount to buyers who pay by check or MO...that's the way it should be.

And yes quoting GPA for raw books is a joke.

Pretty simple, really.

(thumbs u

I have to agree with the forumites that recommend just not buying in a thread if you don't agree with the prices.

Trey taking the approach of listing a previous sale on eBay in someone's sales thread and stating "Match this and I'll buy your book" was really unprofessional, though his point was to show a real-world sale as GPA does not always list all sales if they are below the average.

Posting eBay sale in someone's sales thread

Save those type real-world price examples for PMs between the parties, rather than bringing it up in the sales thread. If the seller won't budge, move on. No sales teaches someone, over time, they need to do a little more research before posting.

I agree with this 100% in fact when I see a seller tack on the 3% paypal cost I close the thread, no matter how much I want a certain book solely on a matter of principal.

But I do applaud the sellers that give a 3% discount to buyers who pay by check or MO...that's the way it should be.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but it's the same thing. Regardless of how I word it, it's still penalizing the person using paypal. An item priced at $1000 with a 3% paypal surcharge costs $1030. If I price something at $1030 and give a 3% discount for check/money order payments, we arrive at the same totals. It's just clever semantics used to disguise the true intent of forcing a bit more out of the paypal crowd.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but it's the same thing. Regardless of how I word it, it's still penalizing the person using paypal. An item priced at $1000 with a 3% paypal surcharge costs $1030. If I price something at $1030 and give a 3% discount for check/money order payments, we arrive at the same totals. It's just clever semantics used to disguise the true intent of forcing a bit more out of the paypal crowd.

I have to agree with andy: it's the same thing, just different wording. (shrug)