• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but it's the same thing. Regardless of how I word it, it's still penalizing the person using paypal. An item priced at $1000 with a 3% paypal surcharge costs $1030. If I price something at $1030 and give a 3% discount for check/money order payments, we arrive at the same totals. It's just clever semantics used to disguise the true intent of forcing a bit more out of the paypal crowd.

Of course I am....it's the Comiclink school of marketing...when they lambasted for charging 4% extra for people using a CC a few years ago, they "invented" the above model.

I've long abandoned the naive thought that the Marketplace is still a big happy family with collectors looking out for each other and doing their best to spread the joy. Although there are still a select few that stand firm against the tide.

Blazingbob was pretty close when he stated a few years ago that ebay turned all collectors into dealers, but I still refuse to buy from people that only post in the Marketplace part of the forum or are here with the only intent of getting as much money as possible for their books while avoiding any and all fees.

If someone bought a book for $500 a few months ago and tries to sell it now for $600 and someone buys it, is that wrong?

Some people here have a problem with that, but if the book sold then it's the property of the new owner & free to do with as they please. (shrug)

If someone bought a book for $500 a few months ago and tries to sell it now for $600 and someone buys it, is that wrong?

depends who the person is and what the marketvalue of the book is I guess. I would never be "wrong" as it's a free market, but in certain cases I would stay away.

I really don't like the business side of comics too much, I want it to remain a hobby, something I spend money on as it gives me happiness and not something that gives me more stress and things to worry about.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but it's the same thing. Regardless of how I word it, it's still penalizing the person using paypal. An item priced at $1000 with a 3% paypal surcharge costs $1030. If I price something at $1030 and give a 3% discount for check/money order payments, we arrive at the same totals. It's just clever semantics used to disguise the true intent of forcing a bit more out of the paypal crowd.

Of course I am

You had me worried for a minute there.

Of course I am

You had me worried for a minute there.

Nice to know you care (thumbs u

No, nothing is wrong with that. I don't think anybody implied making a profit on a book is wrong.

Great to see the Kudos thread giving the Probation thread a good kicking lately (thumbs u

:applause:

That's because I've been buying and selling more in the last week.

They know better than to mess with me. :sumo:

I have to agree that some of the threads seem to be over-priced.

I usually just move on and don't even acknowledge them. Unfortunately though there are many of us that will "cheer on" the book for sale or talk about how "if they had money" :blahblah:

I don't so much have a problem with that but definitely the first thing I do when checking sales threads is have GPA open as well. When I see a book that has a sale sometimes even as few as 2-3 weeks ago in the same condition offered I do scratch my head. When the book is now being offered for even more than the sales data of a copy(copies) that is 2 grades higher that also have fairly recent sales then I immediately close the thread.

Mind you, I have and do pay above GPA on books of which I'd probably have a hard time breaking even on, but 40-70% higher is never realistic.

I need a little help with a price point from some of the more experienced sellers please.

I will be selling a Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6 OW/W very soon to help with some medical bills.

I did a search on this site and the best info I could find is from back in May from a sales thread by Rich_Henn for $520.

Latest GPA is almost $1000

What do you think is a fair asking price for here on the boards vs. Ebay

Thanks in advance. You can PM me if you wish or post here.

Paul

I have to agree that some of the threads seem to be over-priced.

I usually just move on and don't even acknowledge them. Unfortunately though there are many of us that will "cheer on" the book for sale or talk about how "if they had money" :blahblah:

I don't so much have a problem with that but definitely the first thing I do when checking sales threads is have GPA open as well. When I see a book that has a sale sometimes even as few as 2-3 weeks ago in the same condition offered I do scratch my head. When the book is now being offered for even more than the sales data of a copy(copies) that is 2 grades higher that also have fairly recent sales then I immediately close the thread.

Mind you, I have and do pay above GPA on books of which I'd probably have a hard time breaking even on, but 40-70% higher is never realistic.

I know whoooo you're talkin' about! (said in a sing'song voice).

I need a little help with a price point from some of the more experienced sellers please.

I will be selling a Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6 OW/W very soon to help with some medical bills.

I did a search on this site and the best info I could find is from back in May from a sales thread by Rich_Henn for $520.

Paul

hey good luck with your sell

i tested my 131 9.4 ow to w and was getting offers of 135-150.. i dont know how much the price drops from a 9.6 to 9.4

but thats the only info i can give ya

Paul

hey good luck with your sell

i tested my 131 9.4 ow to w and was getting offers of 135-150.. i dont know how much the price drops from a 9.6 to 9.4

but thats the only info i can give ya

The last GPA sale appears to be a fluke. 12 month average is $465.