• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I will never pay for another board transaction using the personal method. There are a few close friends that I use it with as we are pretty much just swapping money back and forth.

However, to pay using the personal method for a book from someone you do not have a personal relationship with is stupid. Furthermore, threatening a percentage up charge if you do not use PP personal after a sales price is agreed upon is the next thing to extortion.

I'd tell them to keep their damn book. They won't have to worry about any fees now.

(thumbs u

+1 I offer at times to pay that way, but don't ask.

This keeps coming up, doesn't it? I think the only fair way for the Seller to do this is to state up front that there will be 3% added if the purchaser desires to do Paypal. Then the Buyer can decide beforehand if that is something they agree to.

Personally, I can't think of anything more worth the 3% than the immediacy of receipt of Paypal funds. :cloud9: But that is just me.

I agree charging a percent extra for paypal is fine. However, it does need to be stated upfront and not at the end of the deal once all other terms have been agreed to by everyone involved. The seller may as well have said, "I'm going to charge you $5 more because I don't like unicorns."

- I take PAYPAL ONLY! Paypal has different ways to save buyer and seller money, anything that saves me money is MUCH APPRECIATED, but of course not required.

As we all know, my sales methods and word sematics made for an interesting Thanksgiving last week. That said, I think I've got this worded to simplistic perfection :)

My wording above that I've used in almost every sales thread, pretty much tells the buyer what he can or can't do and the choice he has in how he wants to pay.

I would never want to force someone to use Paypal Personal mainly because I wouldn't want to be forced to use it if I didn't feel comfortable with it. I don't want to be forced to do anything (except post "take its" :) )

Over time when relationships are forged and friendships are made... then most won't have a problem using the Personal method. Sellers should look at losing that 3 - 4 % in the short run a simple cost of doing business. It's a small investment in future profits once your customer base realizes you are legit and they feel comfortable enough to use Paypal Personal.

Usually once I deal with seller and all goes through without any hitches, I have no problem paying via Personal from then on out... I then feel I have a seller I can trust and he doesn't have to lose paypal fees because of that trust.

Edited by Bio-Rupp

I agree charging a percent extra for paypal is fine. However, it does need to be stated upfront and not at the end of the deal once all other terms have been agreed to by everyone involved. The seller may as well have said, "I'm going to charge you $5 more because I don't like unicorns."

Bully for me! I friggin HATE unicorns!! :mad::insane:

I didn't use the personal option too often to pay people, just for those I knew well. But nonetheless, paypal started questioning me when I did use it. This is not when someone paid me, but when I paid them. Given the bad ride they gave John Russell, I'm not going to go about them off so no one gets personal from me any more.

I didn't use the personal option too often to pay people, just for those I knew well. But nonetheless, paypal started questioning me when I did use it. This is not when someone paid me, but when I paid them. Given the bad ride they gave John Russell, I'm not going to go about them off so no one gets personal from me any more.
Wow,I didn't know that :o

The only time I got burnt on here was by using paypal personal for somebody who's only function on these boards was to sell books and contribute absolutely zero anywhere else.

My own fault for trusting this person but I would only do it now with boardies I trust completely.

And if it's not stated up front then the buyer is under no obligation to complete the sale.

How can someone not like unicorns?? They're cute and fuzzy.

So you see a book you want in a sales thread and PM a couple of questions. Having got answers you're happy with, you PM confirmation that you'll take the book.

The seller responds by asking you to Paypal using the personal option if possible and if you don't want to do that, you should add 4% to cover the fees.

The sales thread simply states that Paypal payments are welcomed.

Comments, please, people. :foryou:

Out him.

Free to sell here. Sellers, suck it up, 4% for a sale is the cheapest possible way to sell a book other than to your granny.

So you see a book you want in a sales thread and PM a couple of questions. Having got answers you're happy with, you PM confirmation that you'll take the book.

The seller responds by asking you to Paypal using the personal option if possible and if you don't want to do that, you should add 4% to cover the fees.

Out him.

Free to sell here. Sellers, suck it up, 4% for a sale is the cheapest possible way to sell a book other than to your granny.

I agree, state the selling methods and details up front. Do not change things after a sale is agreed upon.

Unrelated, I made an offer recently to sell two raw books for $20 shipped. I meant for it to be $25, $20 plus shipping. I didn't change my post or offer, my mistake and not worth making an issue about it.

We all don't like PayPal's exorbitant fees. They are making a killing in profits from basically zero labor or costs per transaction. That's their right to set prices, we just need a competitor to come along and charge half as much, or less. We need the free market to correct pricing. Night,

Out him.

I agree, state the selling methods and details up front. Do not change things after a sale is agreed upon.

Unrelated, I made an offer recently to sell two raw books for $20 shipped. I meant for it to be $25, $20 plus shipping. I didn't change my post or offer, my mistake and not worth making an issue about it.

We all don't like PayPal's exorbitant fees. They are making a killing in profits from basically zero labor or costs per transaction. That's their right to set prices, we just need a competitor to come along and charge half as much, or less. We need the free market to correct pricing. Night,

There's nothing exorbitant about Paypal's fees - you might prefer that everything was free, but compared to dedicated merchant services, paying 2.9% (or 1.9% if you qualify for their merchant rate) pr. transaction with no setup fees, no gateway fees, and no monthly subscription fees is downright cheap. Not to mention that you can accept payments from all major credit cards, debit cards, a bank account, and electronic checks from customers all over the world in one fell swoop.

There's a reason why Google Checkout decided to adopt the exact same fee structure as Paypal back in 2009 - trying to compete in the market with fees that are less than Paypal's means you're going to be running at a loss :gossip:

Out him.

I'd be the last person seen waving the 'rampant capitalism is wonderful' flag, but Paypal's fees are actually very reasonable. Comparing them to credit card merchant services, their fee structure is competitive and ease of use is unbeatable.

And just because they don't employ 8,000 people doing manual labour doesn't mean that they're not entitled to make decent money for a good product delivered well.

I'd be the last person seen waving the 'rampant capitalism is wonderful' flag, but Paypal's fees are actually very reasonable. Comparing them to credit card merchant services, their fee structure is competitive and ease of use is unbeatable.

And just because they don't employ 8,000 people doing manual labour doesn't mean that they're not entitled to make decent money for a good product delivered well.

PayPal definitely made a difference being just low enough below credit card merchant interchange to become a huge hit.

Now they are starting to phase in Bill Me Later into Ebay auctions aggressively (pay for this via Bill Me Later and we'll give you $10), which is even more cost-effective. But now being part of the Ebay family, it will most probably be used for big ticket items more than anything else.

Seems like a simple solution for sellers: just roll the costs of Paypal into your asking price. I think most people, when listing an item $X shipped, roll shipping INTO the asking price. Why not just do the same with the PP fees and then problem solved?

Look, with very, very few exceptions, I'll tack on a few extra dollars to cover the fees myself because I know when I'm buying books here, I'm already getting them for a good deal--so no need to milk people.

I think a seller shouldn't feel bad at all about asking if a buyer would consider the paypal personal option if they're giving a buyer a good deal as is. Of course, it doesn't mean the buyer should be required to do so either. And if a seller were to ask me to cover fees on a deal where I feel I'm already paying an aggressive price, then I probably won't feel so bad saying, "Sure, but could you cover shipping and insurance?" Everything evens out in the end. And if they don't want to compromise, then as far as I'm concerned, I'm free to call of the deal. If a "handling" fee wasn't specified in the sales thread, and they're trying to tack one on after the fact, it nullifies the previous :takeit: as far as I'm concerned.

But I can't think of anytime a Paypal fees issue ever sank a deal for me. I try to treat sellers how I'd want to be treated as a buyer--I pay paypal fees for them and I'd hope my buyers would cover mine for me. If not, cest les vies! (Or however you spell it!-)

2c

Edited by Mac Man