• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'd be the last person seen waving the 'rampant capitalism is wonderful' flag

So, you'll be giving away books for free then? :whistle:

There's quite the difference between 'rampant capitalism' and 'earning a living'.

Pity so many people don't understand the distinction.

Why don't sellers that do not want to absorb the Paypal fees just state that if the buyer pays by money order or check, there is a 3 or 4% discount?

That way it is right up front and serves the same purpose as asking for the buyers to pay the fee or use personal.

If the seller does not want to deal with checks or money orders, then raise your price or realize that Paypal fees are the price of doing business. I didn't think this was that hard.

:whee: (serves no purpose, just like posting it)

Why don't sellers that do not want to absorb the Paypal fees just state that if the buyer pays by money order or check, there is a 3 or 4% discount?

That way it is right up front and serves the same purpose as asking for the buyers to pay the fee or use personal.

One just did!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4432632#Post4432632

One just did!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4432632#Post4432632

Finally somebody has recognized my genius. :acclaim:

lol

So you see a book you want in a sales thread and PM a couple of questions. Having got answers you're happy with, you PM confirmation that you'll take the book.

The seller responds by asking you to Paypal using the personal option if possible and if you don't want to do that, you should add 4% to cover the fees.

The sales thread simply states that Paypal payments are welcomed.

Comments, please, people. :foryou:

Out him.

Free to sell here. Sellers, suck it up, 4% for a sale is the cheapest possible way to sell a book other than to your granny.

I agree, state the selling methods and details up front. Do not change things after a sale is agreed upon.

Unrelated, I made an offer recently to sell two raw books for $20 shipped. I meant for it to be $25, $20 plus shipping. I didn't change my post or offer, my mistake and not worth making an issue about it.

We all don't like PayPal's exorbitant fees. They are making a killing in profits from basically zero labor or costs per transaction. That's their right to set prices, we just need a competitor to come along and charge half as much, or less. We need the free market to correct pricing. Night,

I'd be the last person seen waving the 'rampant capitalism is wonderful' flag, but Paypal's fees are actually very reasonable. Comparing them to credit card merchant services, their fee structure is competitive and ease of use is unbeatable.

And just because they don't employ 8,000 people doing manual labour doesn't mean that they're not entitled to make decent money for a good product delivered well.

I do not agree in the slightest. I meant exactly what I said. If they charged .5% or .25% fees, that might be reasonable. Their costs are nearly nothing, literally, virtually, as close to nothing as a business can get. I do not agree that it's fair or reasonable for a company to make billions of dollars in profit margin(not gross), for almost no labor or manpower. That's a large part of why monopolies are illegal, to reduce the uncontrolled profits, which benefits the consumer.

Their cost for utilities and software management are probably comparable to a very small business that may gross $500,000(the evil rich which Obama hates). Yet that kind of small business will be spending $400,000 to get that $500k, and after taxes the owner is a typical middle class individual.

Paypal is generating massive profits, absolutely massive, considering their costs. I fully support capitalism, don't assume I'm a rich people hater. I encourage anyone to make as much as they can, and I don't want any restrictions on them by government. But that doesn't change economics or what competition means. If a real alternative to Paypal comes along, all they have to do to be successful is undercut the fees, and they still will make tons of money.

Do not compare Paypal to any other financial institution, that is apples to oranges. CC's have huge issues(costs) with expenses of fraud and abuses, and advertising. The limited scope of Paypal transactions is very basic and easy for them to operate, cheap and simple. eBay did very well in buying it up. Regards,

One just did!

lol

I think he might have even read your mind, since he posted it just before you did.

One just did!

lol

I think he might have even read your mind, since he posted it just before you did.

I have found that many E-bay sellers will sometimes accept other forms of payment if you ask them before bidding.

Quick question.

Way back in October I had a sales thread and sold a bunch of books to one boardie who is international. After he received the books he later Pmed me on 10/28/2010 saying I missed something one of the books.

On "raw' books I always have a no hassle return policy, never a problem. (thumbs u

He said I will send you a scan to show you what I mean, well by the time I finally got the scan it was 11/27/2010.

He said his life has been hectic, and he did keep me informed in between as why he didn't get back to me sooner with the scan.

Not problem cause I know things come up. On 11/27/2010 I gave him my return address so he can ship me back the book, and he confirms to me that he will be shipping the book back to me that coming weekend (12/03/2010). I am getting a little frustrated that it took from 112/27/2010 to 12/03/2010 to tell me when he plans to ship the book back.

What got me also a little annoyed was in that 12/03/2010 message he said he will be shipping the book back that coming weekend, but also he wanted to know this....

"I'll ship this week-end. How do you want to work this out? Full refund in advance? Partial in advance? Etc...?"

How can anyone want a full refund in advance on a return, especially if they seem to be taking their good old time in returning the book. (shrug)

I told him no, a refund will be given once I receive the book.

Today he replies to me again that more things have come up personally and a bad snow storm just hit the area.

I understand personals things come up, but where do I draw the line to this is ridiculous?

He is long time boardie, but I don't know many people who takes returns after 2 months because the person just can't put the book in a envelope and mail it back to me. :/

I was going to do a final PM to him saying if I don't have the book by X-mas (when I am moving) then I will consider the matter closed.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

All depends on you and what you want to do. Previous transactions with the person should tell you if you want to continue to deal with them.

It seems that the board has more or less "adopted" a 30 day time frame on everything unless stated otherwise. A buyer has 30 days to make payment on an item and then the seller has a 30 day time frame to ship... at least to avoid the threat of possible "probation".

Is 30 days to long to wait for a return? Not sure, as I suppose it would depend on the situation. Does the board have a recommended return time in place at this time?

I personally would want it back in less than 7 days after confirmation of receipt... and honestly no later than 2 weeks... which might be your time frame when dealing with international shipping.

Seriously tho, no matter how you word your sale terms, someone will find fault with the sematics to make the situation favor them. At least thats how current experiences have been for Rupp.

Quick question.

Way back in October I had a sales thread and sold a bunch of books to one boardie who is international. After he received the books he later Pmed me on 10/28/2010 saying I missed something one of the books.

On "raw' books I always have a no hassle return policy, never a problem. (thumbs u

He said I will send you a scan to show you what I mean, well by the time I finally got the scan it was 11/27/2010.

He said his life has been hectic, and he did keep me informed in between as why he didn't get back to me sooner with the scan.

Not problem cause I know things come up. On 11/27/2010 I gave him my return address so he can ship me back the book, and he confirms to me that he will be shipping the book back to me that coming weekend (12/03/2010). I am getting a little frustrated that it took from 112/27/2010 to 12/03/2010 to tell me when he plans to ship the book back.

What got me also a little annoyed was in that 12/03/2010 message he said he will be shipping the book back that coming weekend, but also he wanted to know this....

"I'll ship this week-end. How do you want to work this out? Full refund in advance? Partial in advance? Etc...?"

How can anyone want a full refund in advance on a return, especially if they seem to be taking their good old time in returning the book. (shrug)

I told him no, a refund will be given once I receive the book.

Today he replies to me again that more things have come up personally and a bad snow storm just hit the area.

I understand personals things come up, but where do I draw the line to this is ridiculous?

He is long time boardie, but I don't know many people who takes returns after 2 months because the person just can't put the book in a envelope and mail it back to me. :/

I was going to do a final PM to him saying if I don't have the book by X-mas (when I am moving) then I will consider the matter closed.

Your thoughts?

If it is a cheap book perhaps he is dithering because it isn't really worth shipping back, perhaps a partial refund will do the trick. If it is an expensive book I think it is reasonable to give him a deadline to return it as you are missing opportunities to sell it while he sits on it.

I am thinking if I don't have it back by X-mas I might say enough is enough.

Which 12/25/2010 is well over the two month mark.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

I personally would want it back in less than 7 days after confirmation of receipt... and honestly no later than 2 weeks... which might be your time frame when dealing with international shipping.

If somebody ships standard Airmail from the UK to the States it can take 2 weeks (or longer) to get there.

If somebody ships standard Airmail from the UK to the States it can take 2 weeks (or longer) to get there.

I guess I should be clearer then cause this book is in Canada right now.

Takes a little over a week at best.

Average is 2 weeks for me, either way.

Refund once you've got the book back as long as he gets it to you within a time frame that you are happy with.

I thought you didn't ship internationally?

He also doesn't discount his sales threads - EVER!

:insane::baiting:

Refund once you've got the book back as long as he gets it to you within a time frame that you are happy with.

I thought you didn't ship internationally?

He also doesn't discount his sales threads - EVER!

:insane::baiting:

I realize now it's Canada - America's little cousin so I don't count that as being 'international' lol

Your thoughts?

I actually think 2 months is extremely fair. There has to be a cutoff at some point.