• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused. Is the issue that he was honest in his sale here, but dishonest in several attempted sales on ebay a while back? Did you say he tried to sell it here previously? If so, was he honest about resto then?

I posted a link to his first listing (here), http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=215651&Number=4614841#Post4614841

He did not mention restoration, it was on eBay that he said it was unrestored.

Edited by skypinkblu

What is a tear seal, for anyone who isn't clear on that? ...

Tear seals are considered restoration.

If you have a book that is a 2.0 because it has 3 or 4 tears, if you use "tear" seals,and it appears to be a higher grade, let's say a 3.5, it's not really that grade, it's an "apparent" 3.5 with restoration. .

If a professional does the tear seal, then presumably, it's done using something that can be easily removed and the book will just have the tears, no trace of glue, and be graded with the tears .If it's done by an amateur, then the seal might have to be cut to remove the glue, and you might lose some of the paper.

If the work was done by a professional and it is removed, then you SHOULD in theory have a blue 2.0, if paper has to be removed, to remove the glue, ti might be a blue 1.5...I'm using hypothetical grades.

I don't think tear seals are so horrid, personally, but I price them differently when I buy something, because I know the going rate for restored books is less.

What is a tear seal, for anyone who isn't clear on that?...

A tear which is sealed with glue or some other adhesive is considered a restored tear seal by CGC. These types of tear seals can be reopened and, depending on the amount of glue or adhesive used, get a blue label and/or notes. A tear which is sealed with tape is not considered restoration by CGC, thus a blue label. The tape does garner a significant downgrade. Most tape can be removed.

My impression of the book in question was that there were possible tear seals with adhesive and color accompanied with tape. If the tape is applied in such a way that the underlying tear can't be viewed properly it can be very difficult to ascertain whether or not a restorative tear seal has occurred. And for most folks color touch is difficult to spot. Heritage obviously thought there was restoration, but they could have been covering all bases. The seller probably should have covered all bases as well. He seems to have with the listing here but obviously not with the eBay listing. Maybe that is why it did not sell on eBay.

Thanks guys, so a tear seal may or may not be reversible. You cannot be sure when buying a raw book that way, just like a color touch.

That helps, so the book in question wasn't known to be restored or not, it was just still in question. That means that the description should have included that it had tear seals, and that it might be possible to remove them(not be permanent).

What is a tear seal, for anyone who isn't clear on that? ...

Tear seals are considered restoration.

If you have a book that is a 2.0 because it has 3 or 4 tears, if you use "tear" seals,and it appears to be a higher grade, let's say a 3.5, it's not really that grade, it's an "apparent" 3.5 with restoration. .

If a professional does the tear seal, then presumably, it's done using something that can be easily removed and the book will just have the tears, no trace of glue, and be graded with the tears .If it's done by an amateur, then the seal might have to be cut to remove the glue, and you might lose some of the paper.

If the work was done by a professional and it is removed, then you SHOULD in theory have a blue 2.0, if paper has to be removed, to remove the glue, ti might be a blue 1.5...I'm using hypothetical grades.

I don't think tear seals are so horrid, personally, but I price them differently when I buy something, because I know the going rate for restored books is less.

What is a tear seal, for anyone who isn't clear on that?...

A tear which is sealed with glue or some other adhesive is considered a restored tear seal by CGC. These types of tear seals can be reopened and, depending on the amount of glue or adhesive used, get a blue label and/or notes. A tear which is sealed with tape is not considered restoration by CGC, thus a blue label. The tape does garner a significant downgrade. Most tape can be removed.

My impression of the book in question was that there were possible tear seals with adhesive and color accompanied with tape. If the tape is applied in such a way that the underlying tear can't be viewed properly it can be very difficult to ascertain whether or not a restorative tear seal has occurred. And for most folks color touch is difficult to spot. Heritage obviously thought there was restoration, but they could have been covering all bases. The seller probably should have covered all bases as well. He seems to have with the listing here but obviously not with the eBay listing. Maybe that is why it did not sell on eBay.

Thanks guys, so a tear seal may or may not be reversible. You cannot be sure when buying a raw book that way, just like a color touch.

That helps, so the book in question wasn't known to be restored or not, it was just still in question. That means that the description should have included that it had tear seals, and that it might be possible to remove them(not be permanent).

A permanent tear seal and a removable one are both restoration. One is Amateur restoration (A on the label) one is Professional (P on the label). When you see a P, and there is just a tear seal, it SHOULD be removable without damaging the book, more, but there is no guarantee.

Actually any tear seal is reversible. Just re-tear it. But every tear seal will leave behind some reminder (in the form of residue, adhesive, tape stain, or piece missing) that it was there. That reminder will be what ultimately determines the final grade.

Actually any tear seal is reversible. Just re-tear it. But every tear seal will leave behind some reminder (in the form of residue, adhesive, tape stain, or piece missing) that it was there. That reminder will be what ultimately determines the final grade.

You should write a book... :applause:

Well, he pmed me telling me not not to pm him, I answered his PM and I just suggested he apologize and not take it further, but he responded by saying this is "my fault" and

then said he has "big time boardies" backing him and "what goes around comes around" so I suppose that is a threat.

He's scared me... :tonofbricks:

I think...?

and "big time boardies" frighten me to death...:shrug:

So, I'll let him post here and repeat how this is my fault...

Or maybe I'm too old to play in his school yard ...I think all the boardies are "big time"

I don't get why people can't just say..."hey, you know, MAYBE I made a mistake...I was not thinking how that would look, I apologize and I will be more careful."

I guess when you hang with the "big time boardies" ya got clout.

If you cannot tell I find this response childish and annoying, well, I find this whole response childish and annoying.

I do remember the exit last year, after he made a deal, accepted funds and sold the book to someone else.

...another reason why...in my book you :headbang:

Well, he pmed me telling me not not to pm him, I answered his PM and I just suggested he apologize and not take it further, but he responded by saying this is "my fault" and

then said he has "big time boardies" backing him and "what goes around comes around" so I suppose that is a threat.

I think...?

Or maybe I'm too old to play in his school yard ...I think all the boardies are "big time"

I don't get why people can't just say..."hey, you know, MAYBE I made a mistake...I was not thinking how that would look, I apologize and I will be more careful."

If you cannot tell I find this response childish and annoying, well, I find this whole response childish and annoying.

I do remember the exit last year, after he made a deal, accepted funds and sold the book to someone else.

Sharon Rocks! Don't worry about this guy,the bad seeds on the Boards always seem to get weeded out. ;)

I think...?

Sharon Rocks! Don't worry about this guy,the bad seeds on the Boards always seem to get weeded out. ;)

Do you know me sir ? Since you don't you are in no position to pass judgement. People who have known me from the start and have become associated with me can only do that. And if you like you may ask those people what they think of me.

Do you know me sir ? Since you don't you are in no position to pass judgement. People who have known me from the start and have become associated with me can only do that. And if you like you may ask those people what they think of me.

I would guess a lot of boardies only know you through the boards, myself included.

This is the second CF I've seen in about a year involving you.

What do you expect people to think?

Yea the first one, it came from a guy that that called me out who was ousted. And now its a boardie who began a debate about a book that is still in my possesion. Basically a book that no deal was even made!

And then it was mentioned that Germanfan started this against me, where in fact he pmd methat the only intention he had was to point out that the book was on heritage at one time. And I thanked him for that.

I think...?

No sir I only know you from the boards here,but as far as Sharon and many others on the boards I will surely protect.

I think...?

Many of us don't know you other than on-line. Doesn't mean that we won't look

at your posts and corresponding posts from others and pick sides. Honestly, you

aren't handling criticism well and your hostile posts just make it worse.

And then it was mentioned that Germanfan started this against me, where in fact he pmd methat the only intention he had was to point out that the book was on heritage at one time. And I thanked him for that.

No one started a thing against you, John...German fan merely showed a link to Heritage. YOU made a comment about the grade, but left out the part about the tear seals.

When I mentioned the restoration ...YOU said you had a hint..about the restoration when you got the book.

As I said to you in the PM last night, I'm not a mind reader, I had no idea you were going to answer saying you KNEW about it, had a hint about it, had a clue about it...or a psychic revelation about it...Actually, it kind of surprised me that you admitted you knew.

No one was mean to you, bad to you, evil to you, or anything else. This was all you...

The fact that you still HAVE the book, is irrelevant, you were attempting to sell it on eBay with a statement that it had not been restored. I have no idea why you still have the book, it seems to have sold...but then again, as I said,I'm not a mind reader.

The stuff about your reneging on a book last year, was also all you...not about Danimal, he was just the catalyst who started the thread.

There are too many things here that don't make sense.

You mentioned that you helped me get books...well, to remind you again, there was ONE book, it was on a thread with a new seller. There were people who thought the seller was Gus of Silverage Comics or Greg Joytner...people I did not want to deal with...your help was assuring me that it was really someone named Tom, that you had met the person and could verify who he was, that I would not be dealing with Joytner or Gus, so I took you at your word and bought the book (which arrived, but was a little lower grade than it should have been)...then last night, in the PM, you reminded me that you HELPED me buy a book from "Gus"...

When I said it was not supposed to have been Gus, you backtracked and said you might not have remembered. You also told me you trust Gus and that there are a lot of people here, doing deals with Joytner...I don't know HOW you would know that?

Some other people had problems on that Gus/Joytner BATMAN thread ...all I know, is there seem to be a lot of fish in your statements...

So now you are going to say that there is no Tom? Ok. Whatever.

Fact is he does exist. Met him. Bought from him a Marvel Boy 1. So if I don't remember a transaction to the detail you have to take it out of context and use it against me...... again. If you want to meet Tom just come down to the city one day.

As for Jotner I will not get involved and won't call out anyone by name. But ill say this his main guy was a legendary dealer who he dealt with who everyone knows. And trust me , I really don't care. As for Gus, well I bought books like detective comics 44 cgc 6.0 for $420 and a detective 36 for slightly over 1k so I think I wasn't "had" the least bit. The guy earns his living and has been in this business for 20 years at least. He is friends with everyone I see at the shows.. so you can bash all you want.

I blamed you for starting to complain about me cause you said you didn't want to start anything. But by mentioning something without knowing the whole details you are starting! Then you said you didn't and German fan first posted. That's what I found a little funny too. You immediately. Jumped to say that he first started (even though you didn't say it directly). Then I pmd him to ask him what were his intentions which I believed were harmless.

If you would have asked me to explain why it was listed as unrestored on ebay and then mention the tear seal after I would have been glad too. But no matter how I explain it you are determined to find some guilt on me.

And when does having a hunch mean that its a fact ? I bought the book as a 4.5 unrestored and I breifly questioned it for a moment. Then I didn't make anything of it. Time passes I put it on ebay for sale (as I bought it) and it didn't sell.I put it back on the thread for sale and did mention it possibly having this time. Did you stop to think between then and now I might have learned something more about the book? My God lady get real. This has gone too far already. And of course your buddies will back you blindly, I understand that but why do you continue a pointless argument?

ummmm Yannis.... I like Skypinkblu.... but follow blindly, I don't think so.... however everything that has been said and done by YOU.... looks poorly on YOU... not anyone else... the fact that persons identified discrepancies in your sales thread.... well what did you expect with the caliber of people we have on these boards... and their CSI capabilities due to the innate nature of the lying, cheating and other BS that runs rampant in the comic/ art community... so for you to be so defensive of people being suspect of things YOU said... well :eyeroll: