• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

So, now everyone has to post what a book was previous to the current grade?

I thought this book would come back a CGC 9.4 when I subbed it raw. However, here it is graded a CGC 9.8.

Or

This book used to be a CGC 9.2, but it came back a CGC 9.6 on a straight resub.

I'm all for voluntarily disclosed pressing and the like, but the above is ridiculousness and all over someone's sales thread in the name of community is nothing short of rudeness.

If you people really want to be saviors, why don't you start calling out sellers who can't grade worth a damn. That might actually be constructive.

I don't think this is about a seller's requirement to disclose. It is about the proper etiquette in presenting the undisclosed information by a third party.

If the third party wants to disclose the information, then they can post in this thread or start a thread in General. 2c

I am obviously in a very small minority, but I have no problem with them posting that information right smack dab in the middle of the sales thread. It is more concise and easier to spot for all concerned.

And it is certainly a ton more entertaining for the bystanders.

Which, if it was straight, documented fact and not conjecture, presented in an unbiased way with a minimum of labeling *cough* deceitful *cough* and presented as a question and not a conclusion I think most people would not have a problem with that information being presented in their sales thread if it was impossible to correct the listing or get a proper answer via PM.

Lots of qualifiers there, it requires actual information and not rumor and a lot more respect than is usually shown in these situations and an attempt to vet the issue in private ahead of time. If all those steps are taken with no resolution and the facts are solid and material to the sale then the seller may not have standing to oppose their revelation.

That would avoid the passive aggressive snark posts, the unsupported yet potentially damaging assumptions, and the threadkilling "Three's Company" level misunderstandings.

"

So, now everyone has to post what a book was previous to the current grade?

I thought this book would come back a CGC 9.4 when I subbed it raw. However, here it is graded a CGC 9.8.

Or

This book used to be a CGC 9.2, but it came back a CGC 9.6 on a straight resub.

I'm all for voluntarily disclosed pressing and the like, but the above is ridiculousness and all over someone's sales thread in the name of community is nothing short of rudeness.

If you people really want to be saviors, why don't you start calling out sellers who can't grade worth a damn. That might actually be constructive.

I don't think this is about a seller's requirement to disclose. It is about the proper etiquette in presenting the undisclosed information by a third party.

If the third party wants to disclose the information, then they can post in this thread or start a thread in General. 2c

I am obviously in a very small minority, but I have no problem with them posting that information right smack dab in the middle of the sales thread. It is more concise and easier to spot for all concerned.

And it is certainly a ton more entertaining for the bystanders.

Which, if it was straight, documented fact and not conjecture, presented in an unbiased way with a minimum of labeling *cough* deceitful *cough* and presented as a question and not a conclusion I think most people would not have a problem with that information being presented in their sales thread if it was impossible to correct the listing or get a proper answer via PM.

Lots of qualifiers there, it requires actual information and not rumor and a lot more respect than is usually shown in these situations and an attempt to vet the issue in private ahead of time. If all those steps are taken with no resolution and the facts are solid and material to the sale then the seller may not have standing to oppose their revelation.

That would avoid the passive aggressive snark posts, the unsupported yet potentially damaging assumptions, and the threadkilling "Three's Company" level misunderstandings.

"

All great points (thumbs u

Is it wrong to buy a raw book at a LCS which is grossly undergraded, and then put it up on the Boards for sale with the correct grade and make a profit?

How is that different that what I did in this case?

Would you disclose what the 1st seller graded it at, then disclose what you paid for it in your sales thread? You may PM that info to a potentail buyer, but you wouldnt post it in the sales thread.

What Bob did is the same thing by posting links in this thread to the books on CL. The books were undergraded to begin with, now everyone know what my potentail profit is.

Edited by Spider-Dan

Is it wrong to buy a raw book at a LCS which is grossly undergraded, and then put it up on the Boards for sale with the correct grade and make a profit?

Would you disclose what the 1st seller graded it at, then disclose what you paid for it in your sales thread? You may PM that info to a potentail buyer, but you wouldnt post it in the sales thread.

What Bob did is the same thing by posting links in this thread to the books on CL. The books were undergraded to begin with, now everyone know what my potentail profit is.

I have a problem with sellers who press books and sell without disclosure. We've all been around the block enough times to know that pressing is a contentious issue around here and I can only assume sellers hide pressing to increase profit

I have a problem with sellers who press books and sell without disclosure. We've all been around the block enough times to know that pressing is a contentious issue around here and I can only assume sellers hide pressing to increase profit

So would I, but thats not the case here

Lets leave Dan or any sellers out of the specific but in general just so I am clear about the debates here in the past couple of days. Outside of Bob and a few people, the majority seem to be ok with

cracking a Pedigree slab, press it or not but resub it without the old label for whatever reason is ok

whether it is an intent (not retaining the Pedigree) or not on disclosure of a press.

cracking a Pedigree slab, press it or not but resub it without the old label for whatever reason is ok

This is not okay, and frankly, quite foolish as a pedigree copy of a book is likely to receive a higher grade than it's non-pedigree counterpart in the same condition.

This is not okay, and frankly, quite foolish as a pedigree copy of a book is likely to receive a higher grade than it's non-pedigree counterpart in the same condition.

+1

I have a problem with sellers who press books and sell without disclosure.

+1

Now if the book was not pressed but got an upgrade on a straight resub I can live with that as CGC grading is just an opinion and its grading is very irregular and unpredictable sometimes.

But sure I will appreciate any more info on the book. If the book got two different grades by CGC doesn't mean either of them was accurate, which is why I often ask the seller through PM what are the defects on the book and/or call CGC for the notes to have more info and decide if I want to purchase the book.

Edited by pickycollector

Agreed. IMHO anyone who loses the pedigree status in the hopes of a higher

grade is motivated by greed and cares nothing for the hobby or the history of

the hobby.

Agreed. IMHO anyone who loses the pedigree status in the hopes of a higher

grade is motivated by greed and cares nothing for the hobby or the history of

the hobby.

Well, I don't know I would go that far, but you can say they certainly aren't concerned with pedigree status. My thought would be if they are only interested in the bump, then perhaps they should look for another book.

I am super late to this party. Is there a contingent of Boardies that is stating that in order to be a good seller here you need to disclose whether your book was formerly graded? I am all about disclosing pressing, if I know, but disclosing crack-outs, really?

I am super late to this party. Is there a contingent of Boardies that is stating that in order to be a good seller here you need to disclose whether your book was formerly graded?

Yes, there is. Give 'em ginger lawyer hell. :sumo:

I am super late to this party. Is there a contingent of Boardies that is stating that in order to be a good seller here you need to disclose whether your book was formerly graded?

No. This boardie is stating that in order to be a good seller here you ought to disclose if your book was formerly graded two or more units lower, or be prepared for someone else to provide this information.

No. This boardie is stating that in order to be a good seller here you should disclose if your book was formerly graded two or more units lower.

Is that not formerly graded? (shrug)

"

There was no conjecture over the comic in question, as it's the same comic. Also, as the seller has on prior occasions been reminded via pm by multiple board members that some of his offerings are pedigree comics that have had their provenance erased with his resubmission, and he's chosen to do nothing about it, a pm would have been without purpose.

No. This boardie is stating that in order to be a good seller here you should disclose if your book was formerly graded two or more units lower.

Is that not formerly graded? (shrug)

You and I both know there's enough wobble in the level of consistency at CGC that a change of a single grading unit isn't enough to raise an eyebrow. When a book changes two or more grades, it's material information to at least a subset of prospective buyers.