• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I've always just considered the paypal fees the cost of doing business here or anywhere. You could be selling on eBay and getting hit with double fees. If you can't build the cost of doing business into your asking price you need to either suck it up and take a loss or hold the book and hope for a price increase.

The problem is that most of them are unaware it's a big turn off for a lot of buyers. Especially the board users that came here just to use the Marketplace and not a lot else. I also see a bit of a copycat mentality, sellers see other sellers ask for the fees, think it's a way to get some money and decide to do it as well. And of course, because of the board netiquette you can't point out in the thread that the seller would do better if he didn't charge for paypal. PMing them isn't working either as it makes you come across as a cheap bastich lol

The only way seems to be in threads like these, but more often than not a bunch of sellers that really want to include the fees jump in and defend why the fees should be included and we're back to square one.

In over ten years on the boards, I paid the fees once (about 2 months ago) because I was looking for a book for a friend of mine and he told me to buy it for him and he didn't mind the extra fees (even when I told him it wasn't a good idea). It wasn't my money and my friend is happy with the book, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd like to propose that new sellers simply add a 9% surcharge to all buyers from Belgium.

I was asked to pay after the :takeit: left me a bit bitter also, but I wanted the books so just went with it.

Now that I know his practice, I dont think I would buy from him again.

Its all about principal, if the books had been 10% more expensive, I still would have went for them.

Sellers should welcome the security PayPal provides for buyers. It adds to the security of the purchase and encourages buying. :makepoint:

If the seller is unaware how asking for fees affects buying decisions, what else are they unaware of?

If a seller wants me to cover PayPal fees, I skip the thread. :sumo:

Abso-freakin'-lutely :sumo:

I've only purchased a couple times here, and have a question about etiquette. I have seen that some folks put in the listing they are open to offers. Now is that an a sign that it's would be inappropriate to offer via PM if that's not stated?

Last week there was an item I was considering but it had the buyer pays PayPal fees, so I just passed it by. I was going to offer everything as stated in the thread, but without me paying the PayPal fees. Since the last few pages of this thread have been PayPal fee related I though it was the right time to ask.

I've only purchased a couple times here, and have a question about etiquette. I have seen that some folks put in the listing they are open to offers. Now is that an a sign that it's would be inappropriate to offer via PM if that's not stated?

Last week there was an item I was considering but it had the buyer pays PayPal fees, so I just passed it by. I was going to offer everything as stated in the thread, but without me paying the PayPal fees. Since the last few pages of this thread have been PayPal fee related I though it was the right time to ask.

If you want to make an offer, via PM is the move. And feel free to make offers even if the seller isn't soliciting them. The worst that can happen is they'll say "no."

As for the PP fees thing, I'm a fan of giving the threads a pass completely. But you're welcome to handle it however you see fit.

If you want to make an offer, via PM is the move. And feel free to make offers even if the seller isn't soliciting them. The worst that can happen is they'll say "no."

As for the PP fees thing, I'm a fan of giving the threads a pass completely. But you're welcome to handle it however you see fit.

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure if PM is cool even if the seller never mentioned it. I've learned there a kind of a set way things work around here.

I probably will pass PP fee required sales unless it's something that I really much have.

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

I agree. And as several people have noted here, it's very unprofessional as well as overly chintzy. Granted, this is a hobbist site and some people don't sell often (like myself) but that's no excuse. There's room in the sales threads for everyone to be businesslike.

A simple rule stating that if people are concerned about Paypal costs, to add that into their pricing. Provide a link to the Paypal calculator so sellers can figure out the cost and make it part of the Rules.

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure if PM is cool even if the seller never mentioned it. I've learned there a kind of a set way things work around here.

I probably will pass PP fee required sales unless it's something that I really much have.

I PM sellers with offers fairly frequently. I've never had a strongly negative reaction but then most of my offers are not asking for a huge discount off the posted price. I've gotten a few "sorry, but the price is firm," which is fine. Bottom line is that I don't think you will find a seller taking umbrage at a PM offer unless the offer is way below the posted price or the seller has indicated in the listing that the posted price is firm.

One thing I never do is to browbeat the seller by using GPA or eBay data to try to get a steep discount. If I were a seller, I would be put off by that tactic.

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

Dude, it's irksome up the wazoo!

I agree that it is dumb. But it is like Heritage's Buyer's Premium. Factor it into the price, and if the price doesn't work for you, don't buy it.

Plus, there are a lot of people on the Boards, when they feel like they have gotten a good deal, who will split or cover the fees without even being asked.

Despite your Ayn Rand comment in your sig line, I beg you to let the free market handle this particular issue! :D

Despite your Ayn Rand comment in your sig line, I beg you to let the free market handle this particular issue! :D

(thumbs u

Speedy is right, this is annoying and unprofessional. But I'm with seanfingh, just don't buy from them. Sooner or later (probably sooner with as much as this is being discussed) the sellers in question will realize what's happening and why.

(thumbs u

Speedy is right, this is annoying and unprofessional. But I'm with seanfingh, just don't buy from them. Sooner or later (probably sooner with as much as this is being discussed) the sellers in question will realize what's happening and why.

Or sellers could build the Paypal fees into their price and give a discount for checks or money orders. :ohnoez:

Then they look like a hero.

People are free to ask what they want. If potential buyers don't like people asking for fees to be covered then move on, the sellers will eventually get the message through lack of sales.

On a side note though, I think there should be dispensation for buyers who pull out of deals when hit up with fees via PM after posting in a sales thread that didn't state the seller expected 3% added onto the price if they then end up getting mentioned in the Probation Discussion. That's a wanker's trick and should be treated as such.

(thumbs u

Or sellers could build the Paypal fees into their price and give a discount for checks or money orders. :ohnoez:

Then they look like a hero.

Actually, not really. I look on that as the exact same thing, and am just as loathe to participate in the thread.

People are free to ask what they want. If potential buyers don't like people asking for fees to be covered then move on, the sellers will eventually get the message through lack of sales.

On a side note though, I think there should be dispensation for buyers who pull out of deals when hit up with fees via PM after posting in a sales thread that didn't state the seller expected 3% added onto the price if they then end up getting mentioned in the Probation Discussion. That's a wanker's trick and should be treated as such.

Of course! Asking for more money after the deal's been agreed upon sounds more like grounds for PLing the seller. :sumo:

I agree that it is dumb. But it is like Heritage's Buyer's Premium. Factor it into the price, and if the price doesn't work for you, don't buy it.

Plus, there are a lot of people on the Boards, when they feel like they have gotten a good deal, who will split or cover the fees without even being asked.

Oops, did I strike her name through? I meant to underline it! O well, it's too late now... ;)