• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Despite your Ayn Rand comment in your sig line, I beg you to let the free market handle this particular issue! :D

(thumbs u

Speedy is right, this is annoying and unprofessional. But I'm with seanfingh, just don't buy from them. Sooner or later (probably sooner with as much as this is being discussed) the sellers in question will realize what's happening and why.

Or sellers could build the Paypal fees into their price and give a discount for checks or money orders. :ohnoez:

Then they look like a hero.

Actually, not really. I look on that as the exact same thing, and am just as loathe to participate in the thread.

Most sellers are building their fees, whatever they may be, into their selling price as it is. Giving a discount for saving the seller money and passing that savings on to their customer rubs you the wrong way? I don't understand that.

Despite your Ayn Rand comment in your sig line, I beg you to let the free market handle this particular issue! :D

(thumbs u

Speedy is right, this is annoying and unprofessional. But I'm with seanfingh, just don't buy from them. Sooner or later (probably sooner with as much as this is being discussed) the sellers in question will realize what's happening and why.

Or sellers could build the Paypal fees into their price and give a discount for checks or money orders. :ohnoez:

Actually, not really. I look on that as the exact same thing, and am just as loathe to participate in the thread.

Most sellers are building their fees, whatever they may be, into their selling price as it is. Giving a discount for saving the seller money and passing that savings on to their customer rubs you the wrong way? I don't understand that.

001-1.jpg

:makepoint:

(thumbs u

If it's $100 + 3% for PP fees, or $103 with a $3 discount if you don't use PP, what's the difference?

We are not perfectly rational beings. If it appears that a seller is trying to pass their costs on to me, I resent it. If they hide it well enough (i.e. factoring it into their asking price), I don't mind. :shrug:

If they hide it well enough (i.e. factoring it into their asking price), I don't mind. :shrug:

That is all I am talking about. Paypal fees are a cost of doing business. Factor them in when setting the price. Offer a discount for those who can save you both parties a few bucks.

Shipping is a cost of doing business as well, but it is accepted that it is typically an additional cost and is not frowned upon.

If they hide it well enough (i.e. factoring it into their asking price), I don't mind. :shrug:

That is all I am talking about. Paypal fees are a cost of doing business. Factor them in when setting the price. Offer a discount for those who can save you both parties a few bucks.

Shipping is a cost of doing business as well, but it is accepted that it is typically an additional cost and is not frowned upon.

I hear you man, that's why I said I know it's not totally rational. In my defense, shipping is almost always the buyer's responsibility, just as credit card and Paypal fees are the seller's. We all take our lumps.

I PM sellers with offers fairly frequently. I've never had a strongly negative reaction but then most of my offers are not asking for a huge discount off the posted price. I've gotten a few "sorry, but the price is firm," which is fine. Bottom line is that I don't think you will find a seller taking umbrage at a PM offer unless the offer is way below the posted price or the seller has indicated in the listing that the posted price is firm.

One thing I never do is to browbeat the seller by using GPA or eBay data to try to get a steep discount. If I were a seller, I would be put off by that tactic.

I've only ever PMed one seller without posting an I'll take it. It was for multiple items and I was shooting an offer for a tiny amount off. Since that was all my discretionary cash for the month. I never got a reply, so wasn't sure if I committed a forum sin.

I think it was more than likely my only having like 5 posts and not my offering that cause the lack of reply.

I PM sellers with offers fairly frequently. I've never had a strongly negative reaction but then most of my offers are not asking for a huge discount off the posted price. I've gotten a few "sorry, but the price is firm," which is fine. Bottom line is that I don't think you will find a seller taking umbrage at a PM offer unless the offer is way below the posted price or the seller has indicated in the listing that the posted price is firm.

One thing I never do is to browbeat the seller by using GPA or eBay data to try to get a steep discount. If I were a seller, I would be put off by that tactic.

I've only ever PMed one seller without posting an I'll take it. It was for multiple items and I was shooting an offer for a tiny amount off. Since that was all my discretionary cash for the month. I never got a reply, so wasn't sure if I committed a forum sin.

I think it was more than likely my only having like 5 posts and not my offering that cause the lack of reply.

I don't know about other sellers, but I almost always encourage offers, especially on multiple items. Granted, I've declined an offer here and there, but those were obvious lowball offers. And I don't mind selling to newer members at all, but I'll admit that I usually avoid buying from them until they've established a reputation or provide references like eBay feedback. But I think the lack of a response to a PM is rude.

Another pet hate is the seller who says, if you are outside the US to PM him.

I have done this numerous times and the seller always just says "go ahead and Buy" So why did I have to PM in the first place, while I waited for a reply someone got the books I was after.

If you sell outside the US, just say you do, if you dont, say you dont.

I have done this numerous times and the seller always just says "go ahead and Buy" So why did I have to PM in the first place, while I waited for a reply someone got the books I was after.

The flip side to this, particularly for people that don't ship a ton out of the US, is that it is hard to know what it is going to cost. I don't require PMs, but I do say that we are going to have to come to an agreement on shipping costs. I usually still get buttfarked, but it hasn't been that bad lately. Canada and the UK, I pretty much have figured out. Australia . . . :cry:

I usually still get buttfarked,:

:facepalm:

I do. The best one of all time was a $25 slab that I sold to a Canadian, not knowing he was Canadian. I sent him an invoice for $35. Then he sent me his addy. I tried to get more bread out of him for shipping and he told me a deal was a deal and to go fark myself. :whee:

I still love Canada. :luhv:

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

29285287Fingh2.jpg

I usually still get buttfarked,:

:facepalm:

I do. The best one of all time was a $25 slab that I sold to a Canadian, not knowing he was Canadian. I sent him an invoice for $35. Then he sent me his addy. I tried to get more bread out of him for shipping and he told me a deal was a deal and to go fark myself. :whee:

I still love Canada. :luhv:

Kudos on minimising your... Naa, I can't do it twice.

Numbnuts.

The flip side to this, particularly for people that don't ship a ton out of the US, is that it is hard to know what it is going to cost. I don't require PMs, but I do say that we are going to have to come to an agreement on shipping costs. I usually still get buttfarked, but it hasn't been that bad lately. Canada and the UK, I pretty much have figured out. Australia . . . :cry:

Tonight is a good example, some nice Atlas books up for sale, seller says PM and we can work it out.

I am going to work on Nightshift now (12 hour shift + 2 travel) then taking the wife shopping when I get in, then bed.

I would have bought a stack of these books now, tomorrow they may be gone. :(

I wonder if we can add a rule barring the requirement for the buyer to cover fees. I'm getting sick of seeing it. :sumo:

Yes. Can we please have more regulation of the Selling area? It is so much better than individuals handling the business themselves and voting with their wallets.

I gotta disagree with that. It more has to do with operating in a business-like and professional manner. If a seller can't be bothered to use a calculator to work up your pricing, what else are they cutting corners on?

To simply hope that the general populace will "vote with their wallet" sounds lazy. That's basically saying that no one's feelings should be hurt or no one should be put out of their way to conduct business around here - because it's a free market, and if you're an assclown, you won't get any business and you'll eventually go away. It's a simple rule to make, and requires very little of the seller to implement.

We've wasted 10X more energy discussing it than if it were just enacted to simplify and streamline the selling process. No one's civil liberites are violated in asking them to use their brains to calcuate a 3% fee into their selling price.

I gotta disagree with that. It more has to do with operating in a business-like and professional manner. If a seller can't be bothered to use a calculator to work up your pricing, what else are they cutting corners on?

To simply hope that the general populace will "vote with their wallet" sounds lazy. That's basically saying that no one's feelings should be hurt or no one should be put out of their way to conduct business around here - because it's a free market, and if you're an assclown, you won't get any business and you'll eventually go away. It's a simple rule to make, and requires very little of the seller to implement.

We've wasted 10X more energy discussing it than if it were just enacted to simplify and streamline the selling process. No one's civil liberites are violated in asking them to use their brains to calcuate a 3% fee into their selling price.

You smell purdy...

You smell purdy...

Which end are you smelling? :sick: