• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

The PayPal fee is the cost of doing business as the seller, it's no different that having a merchant account handling credit card charges for any other business. If you are selling openly in the marketplace I don't think you should be adding 3% to the sale for those using PayPal. If you arrange a sale Privatey via PM that did not originate in the marketplace then that's between the two of you how you wish to handle the transaction.

I never ask anyone to pay by Personal for anything I sell on the boards. In fact, I do not like Personal payments since there is no shipping address attached to the transaction. I can't tell you how much time I spend matching personal payments to board member IDs when no info is in the payment notes.

A seller should factor his credit card processing expenses into the advertised price beforehand and not add them to the sale later. If they don't want to pay the PayPal fees then they shouldn't be accepting PayPal.

This should be written in stone as board policy:

The PayPal fee is the cost of doing business as the seller, it's no different that having a merchant account handling credit card charges for any other business. If you are selling openly in the marketplace I don't think you should be adding 3% to the sale for those using PayPal. If you arrange a sale Privatey via PM that did not originate in the marketplace then that's between the two of you how you wish to handle the transaction.

I never ask anyone to pay by Personal for anything I sell on the boards. In fact, I do not like Personal payments since there is no shipping address attached to the transaction. I can't tell you how much time I spend matching personal payments to board member IDs when no info is in the payment notes.

A seller should factor his credit card processing expenses into the advertised price beforehand and not add them to the sale later. If they don't want to pay the PayPal fees then they shouldn't be accepting PayPal.

:sumo:

Indeed.

I also think buyers should be allowed to back out of deals when Personal is asked for or a percentage added after the deal is agreed, whether its public or private.

Indeed.

I also think buyers should be allowed to back out of deals when Personal is asked for or a percentage added after the deal is agreed, whether its public or private.

If it's asked for, just say no. If it's demanded, then bail on out. :)

:applause:

(thumbs u

I'd love to see this incorporated into the :rulez:

Indeed.

I certainly would, but newer members may not as they don't have the feel of the place. I know for a fact that one seller a couple of years ago who asked me for Personal or 4% on top to cover Paypal fees (which I complied to as I didn't really know any better) has recently asked a new member for Personal after a deal was struck. Doing this behind the scenes stinks as it's away from the eyes of other boardies, keeping your sales threads nice and above board but trying to hit buyers with fees behind closed doors.

Asking for Personal is against forum rules as well as Paypal's, so if you haven't got the bollocks to ask for it in public and take the flak, don't do it in PMs after a deal has been struck.

Indeed.

I certainly would, but newer members may not as they don't have the feel of the place. I know for a fact that one seller a couple of years ago who asked me for Personal or 4% on top to cover Paypal fees (which I complied to as I didn't really know any better) has recently asked a new member for Personal after a deal was struck. Doing this behind the scenes stinks as it's away from the eyes of other boardies, keeping your sales threads nice and above board but trying to hit buyers with fees behind closed doors.

Asking for Personal is against forum rules as well as Paypal's, so if you haven't got the bollocks to ask for it in public and take the flak, don't do it in PMs after a deal has been struck.

Word!

If sellers are so worried about 3% on a book why not just ask for a personal check or a money order? So you have to wait a little bit, big deal.

It's possible I've topped off my PayPal Kool-Aid once too often, but I don't think it's very likely that I'd pay with a check or MO. It takes too long and there's too much extra room for shenanigans.

If sellers are so worried about 3% on a book why not just ask for a personal check or a money order? So you have to wait a little bit, big deal.

It's possible I've topped off my PayPal Kool-Aid once too often, but I don't think it's very likely that I'd pay with a check or MO. It takes too long and there's too much extra room for shenanigans.

+1

One of the few times I paid by MO for a purchase on this board is the only time I was screwed over and didn't receive the books(seller never shipped them).

I will only pay by paypal now.

I've done a few transactions with boardies by paying with a check, but they were ones that have been around a while and have good reputations. Every transaction went smoothly, but did take longer to get my stuff.

Edited by Awax

I can see the point of paypal, but I've always taken checks or money orders. I've used them buying also, but I know who I'm dealing with. Never had a problem, but that's just me.

Edited by DR.X

Indeed.

Seems to me that doing this should be grounds for going on the PL. Or, at the least, the buyer would be justified in airing the story in the PL discussion thread.

There's a sweet Action 27 I almost :takeit: just for the heck of it, but for that dang 'ol 3%. :(
:sorry:

Is it just that I've noticed it more since this whole discussion about this, or has it actually been happening more recently?

I think it's been happening more recently. Sellers should take into consideration, this is a free place to sell. 3% is nothing compared to an auction house.

There's a sweet Action 27 I almost :takeit: just for the heck of it, but for that dang 'ol 3%. :(
:sorry:

Is it just that I've noticed it more since this whole discussion about this, or has it actually been happening more recently?

I think it's been happening more recently. Sellers should take into consideration, this is a free place to sell. 3% is nothing compared to an auction house.

Even just with eBay, auction fees are 9% and Fixed Price listings are 7-13% of the first $50, 5-8% of the next $950 and 2% of anything over that.

In other words, I'll take PayPal's 3% over all that any day.