• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,158 posts in this topic

:insane:
:insane::insane:

You can make 100 posts overnight . . .

Yes, but that will still deter the majority of people thinking this place is a cash grab from making their first posts sales posts. It has to be looked at as a deterrent, not a solution. We still need to be watchful for new posters, but any sort of minimum would help the current situation of spam and scams.

Exactly. As it is now, we have no deterrent whatever. People can scam with their first post. Sure, if we had a 100 post minimum, someone could quickly compile a load of nothing posts, but it would be evident what they done by viewing their posts.

There may be a legit seller who says, "I just want to sell, I don't want to make any substantive contributions to the discussion threads." To which I would say, "Fine. Get thee to eBay."

Here is my 2 cents on the 100 post min

What if some scammer jumps on here like everyday they do, find 100 different threads or the test thread and just post nonsense. Or they actually take their time and plan out post.

What's going to be more hurtful, a boardie getting scammed by some dude with a 100 post or some scammer posting a book with their first post and within 3 secs25 boardies know it's a scam.

And why are people still posting in the Exciting sales thread, just let it die and get off the first page with all the other ones, there is no need to keep posting in there

People seem to forget sometimes that we're here is to have fun. Posting in that thread is fun, and interesting actually. :shrug:

+1 for both

The only problem is that thread among the other fake ones being bumped take up valuable real estate space.

Yeah, that problem's a little overhyped.

Not if you're the one trying to sell and this 1st post clown bumps you off the main page with his idiotic thread.

If that post bumped you off the first page, you were already 25 threads down...

Yes, but that will still deter the majority of people thinking this place is a cash grab from making their first posts sales posts. It has to be looked at as a deterrent, not a solution. We still need to be watchful for new posters, but any sort of minimum would help the current situation of spam and scams.

Exactly. As it is now, we have no deterrent whatever. People can scam with their first post. Sure, if we had a 100 post minimum, someone could quickly compile a load of nothing posts, but it would be evident what they done by viewing their posts.

There may be a legit seller who says, "I just want to sell, I don't want to make any substantive contributions to the discussion threads." To which I would say, "Fine. Get thee to eBay."

This is the part I don't get. What's wrong with someone wanting to sell here? If the deals are as good as anyone else's and there's no scam, so what if he doesn't want to hang out with you?

Alarm bells would be ringing if I saw a new seller with 100 gremlin posts. A clear indication that they were trying to circumvent seller restrictions.

In general I prefer to deal with sellers I know and prefer to buy off boardies who contribute to the community, but I wouldn't tell one to go to ebay just because they came here only to sell. They may have little interest in comics but stumbled across an interesting collection that I'd love to see sold here. Or they might very well be ebay sellers tired of the fees and headaches, trying this site. After a few successful transactions they might very well start to contribute to other areas of the boards.

IMHO, adding a few lines to the current Usage guidelines thread would be a good start. Something along the lines of :

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

As of now, dealers are allowed to post here as long as all guidelines are respected.

Note that BUYERS AND SELLERS HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR TRANSACTIONS. We will not resolve disputes, and purchases and sales are done at your own risk.

For Sale – Threads may be removed for failure to comply, and repeated issues could result in strikes.

Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely.

It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).

Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

Threads selling digital codes or digital versions are not allowed.

New sellers and members are always welcome but new sellers should have a minimum post count of 100 posts or provide references from a board member with a minimum post count of 500 posts. Please don't post 100 gremlin posts in an attempt to circumvent this restriction.

BUYERS When you reply to a sale thread indicating that you'll buy something you must indicate what book you're buying. Otherwise, if someone else is more specific than you are first, your offer won't be considered valid.

This is the part I don't get. What's wrong with someone wanting to sell here? If the deals are as good as anyone else's and there's no scam, so what if he doesn't want to hang out with you?

Wait, not want to hang out with me?! :sumo:

Wait, not want to hang out with me?! :sumo:

When you put it that way...it does seem very shady. :foryou:

Would a trade weekend (like what they are doing in the Signature sub forum) work here in the marketplace for all comics?

Maybe it could be a VCC-Trade only session?

I love trying to pull a trade off, and yes I know offering books for trade is always an option in the marketplace as long as rules are followed, but I thought a trade only, with some cap on total number of books you could list, and then run it like the Signature trade thread (each OP gets one post for their listing, all negotiations occur in PMs, and maybe we just have trades disclosed as they occur so there's some transparancy like with other marketplace transactions...)

any thoughts? I cant be the only person who loves to work on a trade..

Are there any limits to how many active sales threads you can have running in a particular forum? It seems lately folks are having multiple sales threads to lists a set of books instead of having them all in one thread.

I had never seen it this rampant before but currently in gold/silver/bronze there is one member with 4 sales threads in the first page (another on page two for a total of 5 active threads), and another with 2 sales threads in the first page as well.

Is this allowed, haven't seen anyone say anything otherwise but I know if I post more than 3 books for (PGM book) grading I'm quickly reminded of proper etiquette.

Thoughts?

Are there any limits to how many active sales threads you can have running in a particular forum? It seems lately folks are having multiple sales threads to lists a set of books instead of having them all in one thread.

I had never seen it this rampant before but currently in gold/silver/bronze there is one member with 4 sales threads in the first page (another on page two for a total of 5 active threads), and another with 2 sales threads in the first page as well.

Is this allowed, haven't seen anyone say anything otherwise but I know if I post more than 3 books for (PGM book) grading I'm quickly reminded of proper etiquette.

Thoughts?

It's pretty clear in the rules:

No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

Thoughts?

Just odd no one is saying about it. I know I can't be the only noticing this.

Thoughts?

Are you talking about Moondog's threads?

I really don't care as I don't have anything selling now but if I was selling at the moment I would. A.Romeo just started another thread so that person is up to three. Thank god Kramerica or Chip don't split their huge threads up and follow the rules. I feel bad for page 2.

I see what you did there...at first, I was like 'what is Hector doing, trying to pad his post count...he already has more than 100.' lol

what's funny is by doing that I found your book and I was like, wow "bonus!"

Thoughts?

Are you talking about Moondog's threads?

Bingo!

I respect Moondog enormously, but don't like seeing anyone with 4 sales threads sitting on the first page.

All of those threads could have easily been created in one. I wanted to say something to him a good number of times, but then I held back, thinking......ah, he's Moondog. Still, he should know the rules and abide by them.

If you're reading this Gary, no disrespect. :foryou: