• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

I realize that essentially, no one gives a mess what I think, but I'm going to rantrant anyway...

When

1) people who should be taking leadership roles in our industry (and by extension, these boards) request blatant exceptions to established marketplace rules/norms (based primarily on the argument that, "well, other people have gotten away with breaking rules in the past so I should too"), and 2) those requests are actually granted by the people in charge,

it might be time for me to take a vacation.

I know, I know...."well, have a nice one Ed...don't let the door hit you on the on the way out"....right? lol

I realize that essentially, no one gives a mess what I think, but I'm going to rantrant anyway...

When

1) people who should be taking leadership roles in our industry (and by extension, these boards) request blatant exceptions to established marketplace rules/norms (based primarily on the argument that, "well, other people have gotten away with breaking rules in the past so I should too"), and 2) those requests are actually granted by the people in charge,

I know, I know...."well, have a nice one Ed...don't let the door hit you on the on the way out"....right? lol

It must be done.... :golfclap:

When

I give a mess.

What's going on?

When

I give a mess.

What's going on?

A big sales thread

I give a mess. What's going on?

Thanks. :foryou:

I apologize...I should have been more explicit in my initial rant.

I’m talking about Dale Roberts’ thread, RIGHT HERE. See the first few pages for the initial action. He started this blatantly mixed thread (and stated this intent in his initial post) in G/S/B that he intends to run for a couple months, and the moderators appropriately moved it to Mixed.

Dale then started whining and alleging that he would get his thread moved back to G/S/B, and he was correct - the moderator(s) made an inexplicable exception and moved the thread back to G/S/B, clearly communicating that the “rules” do not apply equally to everyone. Besides…Dale’s thread was doing fine over in mixed, and one could make the argument that he will get more Copper/Modern viewers in Mixed than in G/S/B, but that calculus is apparently lost on him.

Also, I don’t know Dale Roberts, although I feel like I know him better than I did yesterday. I urge any of you that know him to contact him privately and encourage him to take the high road and set a good example by either (a) asking the moderators to move his thread back to mixed, or (b) stopping being a lazy and separate his books into two threads…put the G/S/B in G/S/B and put the C/M in C/M…it’s not that difficult.

I’m talking about Dale Roberts’ thread, RIGHT HERE. See the first few pages for the initial action. He started this blatantly mixed thread (and stated this intent in his initial post) in G/S/B that he intends to run for a couple months, and the moderators appropriately moved it to Mixed.

Dale then started whining and alleging that he would get his thread moved back to G/S/B, and he was correct - the moderator(s) made an inexplicable exception and moved the thread back to G/S/B, clearly communicating that the “rules” do not apply equally to everyone. Besides…Dale’s thread was doing fine over in mixed, and one could make the argument that he will get more Copper/Modern viewers in Mixed than in G/S/B, but that calculus is apparently lost on him.

But like was mentioned earlier, the mods have long been inconsistent with these rulings. Foolkiller's big threads are usually the same make-up percentage wise as Dale's was, yet his threads were never moved from G/S/B, along with many, many other poster's threads. Occasionally, the mods would move a thread over into mixed, for no rhyme or reason, but usually they leave them where they are unless somebody hits the notify button on the thread.

If the biggest issue on these boards is whether or not a sales thread in in the correct area (be it G/S/B, copper/modern, or mixed), it's not really an issue to get riled up over. The mods will always be inconsistent in their rulings because as they stated before, they don't want to police us, so they'll only step in when the notify button is hit.

If the threads being in the wrong place affects you, hit the button and let the mods sort it out. Just don't get too upset if they don't take the action you were hoping for, sometimes it takes them quite a few days to take action, if they do at all.

I think Ed's biggest issue is that Dale got the thread moved back.

He's hoping he would set a better example and not go with the same "everyone else is doing it" excuse.

Ed if I got your message wrong, my apologies

He's hoping he would set a better example and not go with the same "everyone else is doing it" excuse.

That's it in a nutshell.

It's about a thread placed in G/S/B ONLY that should have been in Mixed.

Moderation moved it because someone complained... no big deal, that happens all the time. I honestly could care less what thread it was in.

The bigger problem here is the fact that it got moved from MIXED back to G/S/B ONLY... at the seller's request.

That to me is a TOTAL lack of respect to every other member out there who has been threatened with a "wrist slap" or a "strike" for not following the rules.

Horrible use of authority all the way around... right here.

Actually, in many ways I agree with you (joeycgcmaniac), and I actually have nothing personally against Dale. This is just a comics board, and at the core we're just talking about funny books...should not be any cause to get riled up about funny books, right? Seems a bit silly.

What I'm riled up about is a more fundamental concept - the display of a fundamental, transparent feeling by someone that (for whatever reason) the rules should not apply to that person, and the authoritative powers openly taking an action that reinforces that imbalance. It's a more primitive issue than comics, and one that elicits strong emotions in me, personally.

So, if the rules about where to list books have indeed gone to mess and it's just a big open marketplace for selling anything and everything in one place, that's fine too. We should just communicate to the mods that that's what we want, and delete all these separate areas in favor of one marketplace forum with no sub-fora....then, we won't have this issue.

Edited by edowens71

Nope, Hector...you got it right. (thumbs u