• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Jeffro actually said something that made sense.

Yes Jeffro... you are correct in that I personally feel I am entitled the same, moderation rules as everyone else. No more and no less. Don't you? The only difference is when I send PMs to moderation they don't answer or do anything. Anyone else have success in doing this? Anyone?

Still don't know the "right way or wrong way" to "handle" these things. I always thought that was why it was brought to discussion threads. \(shrug\)

Chris outlined why you handled it the wrong way.

Rupp:

The issue isn't Dale's decision to post mixed books in there. Whether to move it or not is the mods' call. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. You made your point. Someone notified the mods. No need to keep on and on about it.

That's what I was saying. We say it once, in the way Arch has approved or in another polite way, but just once. If the change isn't made then we notify and the mods do it. That's how we prevent threadcrapping.

Snide comments regarding special treatment or to continue the complaint in the thread are pretty much textbook threadcrapping.

Edited by Jeffro

Jeffro actually said something that made sense.

Yes Jeffro... you are correct in that I personally feel I am entitled the same, moderation rules as everyone else. No more and no less. Don't you? The only difference is when I send PMs to moderation they don't answer or do anything. Anyone else have success in doing this? Anyone?

Still don't know the "right way or wrong way" to "handle" these things. I always thought that was why it was brought to discussion threads. \(shrug\)

Chris outlined why you handled it the wrong way.

Rupp:

The issue isn't Dale's decision to post mixed books in there. Whether to move it or not is the mods' call. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. You made your point. Someone notified the mods. No need to keep on and on about it.

That's what I was saying. We say it once, in the way Arch has approved or in another polite way, but just once. If the change isn't made then we notify and the mods do it. That's how we prevent threadcrapping.

Snide comments regarding special treatment or to continue the complaint in the thread are pretty much textbook threadcrapping.

Sorry Jeffro... you and I have a different view of what an actual threadcrapping is.

You can put however much sarcasm into my comment as the written word will allow.

It was one post (and a half) in his thread. I even brought Chris' quote here to be addressed. I have given that aspect of Dale's thread complete respect.

Instead of worrying about "levels of sarcasm"... why don't you address the issue being discussed?

How do you feel about moderation allowing a boardie to dictate the rules?

Or you can sidestep it... and continue to make comments about me and how I feel this action by moderation is "only unfair to me and my sales threads".

It seems a little silly that if I have a sales thread of GA/SA/BA stuff, but want to include some McFarlane Spideys that it needs to move to a different section...

Guys and gals,

I'm perplexed. This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to me. I myself just went through this with some large sales threads of my own. It doesn't cost money to start sales threads in the different areas. So, here's the scenario...say I have a stack of comics I want to sell. I determine a reasonable starting point for the Copper Age...let's call it January 1984. I scan all of my comics. I recognize that I have some comics that were printed prior to January, 1984 (and therefore belong in G/S/B), and some comics that were printed after January, 1984 (and therefore belong in C/M).

OK...say for some reason I don't want to put my comics in Mixed (because it's a low traffic area or something like that...that's another issue I don't understand, but I don't want to digress). Fine. So, I open up a sales thread in G/S/B. Also, I put a little note at the bottom of my first G/S/B post (or in my signature) that I'm going to start up a C/M thread as well, and if anyone is interested, go check it out. Then, I go over to C/M and start up that sales thread, similarly alerting people to the existence of my concurrent G/S/B thread. In both cases I announce "you can combine shipping for books across my two threads!"

Then, I get ready to start listing my books. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed prior to January 1984, I post that entry in my G/S/B thread. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed after January 1984, I post it up in my C/M thread. Problem solved. Clean sales threads in the correct areas. Comics being viewed by audiences most interested in those eras....

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain to me why this is so difficult to accomplish?

Ed

Just had this pointed out to me and thought I would address is here rather than in Dale's thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7238462&fpart=48

I am glad the mods made an exception for you Dale.
Would you just stop?

Politely worded threadcrap is still threadcrap, right?

Chris...this isn't threadcrap since it's stated by Arch that other board members can remind another of the rules.

Which Arch gave us specific ways to approach. One simple post, quoting the rules, and nothing more. I don't see anything about more than one post intimating that he's getting special treatment.

How does a sarcastic "I am glad the mods made an exception for you Dale" equate to:

This is a suggested "ok to post" rules reminder template so that everyone can feel comfortable helping to keep things in line with the guidelines instead of feeling like a self appointed forum cop.

If someone is not complying with the rules, this should be considered an OK way for everyone around here to nudge people a bit. Once in a thread is plenty, guys. After that you can re-post it in new threads (once) but then just hit the notify moderator button if things don't get cleaned up.

This is a suggested "ok to post" rules reminder template so that everyone can feel comfortable helping to keep things in line with the guidelines instead of feeling like a self appointed forum cop.

If someone is not complying with the rules, this should be considered an OK way for everyone around here to nudge people a bit. Once in a thread is plenty, guys. After that you can re-post it in new threads (once) but then just hit the notify moderator button if things don't get cleaned up.

Hello!

Welcome to the "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling" board!

The moderators have asked everyone around here to help educate new comers about the posting rules for this forum so that we can keep things running smoothly. So whenever we see a new thread go up that's missing some of the information required by the rules, someone will generally happen along and post this reminder (by moderator request).

You can find the posting guidelines here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1460472&page=1#Post1460472

Specifically, you should check out #s (FILL IN SOME NUMBERS HERE. OR DON'T. LET'S FACE IT DIGGING UP RULE NUMBERS IS ACTUALLY WORK.)

They are well worth reading, because your posts can be removed from the boards if they don't conform to the guidelines. This will help you to attract more buyers as well, since this is how people expect to have books offered around here.

Thanks, and glad to have you here!

??

Ok Chris, let's try it this way. Put any amount of sarcasm you think my ONE (and a half) post in DR's thread had and just look past it for a minute please.

Do you feel moderation made the right call in this situation?

I'm not asking you if you feel "they can do whatever they want".

I'm not asking you to say "regardless, ultimately it's the Mod's discretion and decision" either.

If you would have read my follow up post responding to Transplant you'd have seen that I agreed that the underlying reason for your complaint was valid. 100% valid. Without a doubt and without dispute valid.

However your two posts (yes those are TWO posts, unless the mods have invented a "half-submit" button, you posted twice) don't follow what Arch has set up as a system to handle this stuff. The mods want us to post once, using the approved language to avoid melees and then to allow the OP to make a change to his thread. Then, if after an opportunity to make a change hasn't occurred to notify them and let them sort it out.

I'll give you your first post, even though it was passive-aggressive enough to make Momma Transplant proud, as you called him out. It's not how they want us to do it, but you got the point across.

Did you notify the mods after your first (of TWO) posts?

As I said you have a 100% valid complaint. The follow up is a straight up threadcrap as it was to engage the OP in his sales thread instead of letting the mods do their work.

If you, in fact, notified the mods after your first complaint and before your second was posted in the thread then you have a second 100% legitimate and valid beef.

Your first post is a legit complaint and the second a legit threadcrap. I'd hope you agree, being that no one is disputing the validity of you problem with the thread placement (at least I'm not).

Don't diminish the firm ground you stand on with all the "half-post" and "I wasn't sarcastic" talk. I think you laid it out pretty plain and there's nothing wrong with that.

Frankly, I would prefer that we just got rid of the Mixed sales section. I think most people (definately including me) don't think to check it.

It seems a little silly that if I have a sales thread of GA/SA/BA stuff, but want to include some McFarlane Spideys that it needs to move to a different section with a tiny fraction of the traffic.

Guys and gals,

I'm perplexed. This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to me. I myself just went through this with some large sales threads of my own. It doesn't cost money to start sales threads in the different areas. So, here's the scenario...say I have a stack of comics I want to sell. I determine a reasonable starting point for the Copper Age...let's call it January 1984. I scan all of my comics. I recognize that I have some comics that were printed prior to January, 1984 (and therefore belong in G/S/B), and some comics that were printed after January, 1984 (and therefore belong in C/M).

OK...say for some reason I don't want to put my comics in Mixed (because it's a low traffic area or something like that...that's another issue I don't understand, but I don't want to digress). Fine. So, I open up a sales thread in G/S/B. Also, I put a little note at the bottom of my first G/S/B post (or in my signature) that I'm going to start up a C/M thread as well, and if anyone is interested, go check it out. Then, I go over to C/M and start up that sales thread, similarly alerting people to the existence of my concurrent G/S/B thread. In both cases I announce "you can combine shipping for books across my two threads!"

Then, I get ready to start listing my books. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed prior to January 1984, I post that entry in my G/S/B thread. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed after January 1984, I post it up in my C/M thread. Problem solved. Clean sales threads in the correct areas. Comics being viewed by audiences most interested in those eras....

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain to me why this is so difficult to accomplish?

Ed

Because....

Frankly, I would prefer that we just got rid of the Mixed sales section. I think most people (definately including me) don't think to check it.

It seems a little silly that if I have a sales thread of GA/SA/BA stuff, but want to include some McFarlane Spideys that it needs to move to a different section with a tiny fraction of the traffic.

Guys and gals,

Ed

Because....

...butthertz.

-slym

It seems a little silly that if I have a sales thread of GA/SA/BA stuff, but want to include some McFarlane Spideys that it needs to move to a different section...

Guys and gals,

Ed

You know, it's just that people like this... you know... they get all they want so they really don't understand, you know... about a life like Frank's. I mean, when you've loved and lost the way Frank has, then you, uh, you know what life's about.

As I said you have a 100% valid complaint.

Pretty much this all that's pertinent to what I asked.

That's what I get for being fair and even-handed. lol

No don't get me wrong. I appreciate your insight. You and I both can get a little wordy. ;)

No don't get me wrong. I appreciate your insight. You and I both can get a little wordy. ;)

Just wanted you to know there are probably quite a few that agree in principle even if not in execution.

Guys and gals,

Ed

It isn't difficult to accomplish and it's the standard way someone sells books from 2 different eras at the same time. 'check out my other thread in bla bla bla'and combine shipping'.

I would think the main advantages to combining the sales threads is a shock and awe effect - lots of cool books in the same thread with lots of eyeballs and chatter and of course the possibility of CA/MA catching the eye of a SA/GA collector or the other way around.

While I think mods should treat us all the same I don't really care if a seller has a bunch of books in the wrong forum, it just doesn't hurt me.

Guys and gals,

Ed

It isn't difficult to accomplish and it's the standard way someone sells books from 2 different eras at the same time. 'check out my other thread in bla bla bla'and combine shipping'.

I would think the main advantages to combining the sales threads is a shock and awe effect - lots of cool books in the same thread with lots of eyeballs and chatter and of course the possibility of CA/MA catching the eye of a SA/GA collector or the other way around.

While I think mods should treat us all the same I don't really care if a seller has a bunch of books in the wrong forum, it just doesn't hurt me.

The thing I don't get is, it hurts the seller. As a buyer, if I want some McFarlane Spidey's, I'm not gonna troll the G/S/B forum looking for strays.

Guys and gals,

Ed

And again... the issue isn't about how many moderns one can push into the G/S/B Only thread.

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

The moderns in the wrong thread is just a catalyst for the problem at hand.

Guys and gals,

Ed

And again... the issue isn't about how many moderns one can push into the G/S/B Only thread.

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

Wait, what's the problem? The guy got his thread pulled for a legit reason, asked for it back, and the mods put it back?

Guys and gals,

Ed

Wait, what's the problem? The guy got his thread pulled for a legit reason, asked for it back, and the mods put it back?

WTTB!!