• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Guys and gals,

I'm perplexed. This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to me. I myself just went through this with some large sales threads of my own. It doesn't cost money to start sales threads in the different areas. So, here's the scenario...say I have a stack of comics I want to sell. I determine a reasonable starting point for the Copper Age...let's call it January 1984. I scan all of my comics. I recognize that I have some comics that were printed prior to January, 1984 (and therefore belong in G/S/B), and some comics that were printed after January, 1984 (and therefore belong in C/M).

OK...say for some reason I don't want to put my comics in Mixed (because it's a low traffic area or something like that...that's another issue I don't understand, but I don't want to digress). Fine. So, I open up a sales thread in G/S/B. Also, I put a little note at the bottom of my first G/S/B post (or in my signature) that I'm going to start up a C/M thread as well, and if anyone is interested, go check it out. Then, I go over to C/M and start up that sales thread, similarly alerting people to the existence of my concurrent G/S/B thread. In both cases I announce "you can combine shipping for books across my two threads!"

Then, I get ready to start listing my books. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed prior to January 1984, I post that entry in my G/S/B thread. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed after January 1984, I post it up in my C/M thread. Problem solved. Clean sales threads in the correct areas. Comics being viewed by audiences most interested in those eras....

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain to me why this is so difficult to accomplish?

Ed

It isn't difficult to accomplish and it's the standard way someone sells books from 2 different eras at the same time. 'check out my other thread in bla bla bla'and combine shipping'.

I would think the main advantages to combining the sales threads is a shock and awe effect - lots of cool books in the same thread with lots of eyeballs and chatter and of course the possibility of CA/MA catching the eye of a SA/GA collector or the other way around.

While I think mods should treat us all the same I don't really care if a seller has a bunch of books in the wrong forum, it just doesn't hurt me.

And again... the issue isn't about how many moderns one can push into the G/S/B Only thread.

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

The moderns in the wrong thread is just a catalyst for the problem at hand.

Wait, what's the problem? The guy got his thread pulled for a legit reason, asked for it back, and the mods put it back?

WTTB!!

Thanks! Where's the 9.8 forum?

Guys and gals,

I'm perplexed. This doesn't seem like a difficult problem to me. I myself just went through this with some large sales threads of my own. It doesn't cost money to start sales threads in the different areas. So, here's the scenario...say I have a stack of comics I want to sell. I determine a reasonable starting point for the Copper Age...let's call it January 1984. I scan all of my comics. I recognize that I have some comics that were printed prior to January, 1984 (and therefore belong in G/S/B), and some comics that were printed after January, 1984 (and therefore belong in C/M).

OK...say for some reason I don't want to put my comics in Mixed (because it's a low traffic area or something like that...that's another issue I don't understand, but I don't want to digress). Fine. So, I open up a sales thread in G/S/B. Also, I put a little note at the bottom of my first G/S/B post (or in my signature) that I'm going to start up a C/M thread as well, and if anyone is interested, go check it out. Then, I go over to C/M and start up that sales thread, similarly alerting people to the existence of my concurrent G/S/B thread. In both cases I announce "you can combine shipping for books across my two threads!"

Then, I get ready to start listing my books. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed prior to January 1984, I post that entry in my G/S/B thread. If the book (or scan) I'm holding in my hand was printed after January 1984, I post it up in my C/M thread. Problem solved. Clean sales threads in the correct areas. Comics being viewed by audiences most interested in those eras....

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain to me why this is so difficult to accomplish?

Ed

It isn't difficult to accomplish and it's the standard way someone sells books from 2 different eras at the same time. 'check out my other thread in bla bla bla'and combine shipping'.

I would think the main advantages to combining the sales threads is a shock and awe effect - lots of cool books in the same thread with lots of eyeballs and chatter and of course the possibility of CA/MA catching the eye of a SA/GA collector or the other way around.

While I think mods should treat us all the same I don't really care if a seller has a bunch of books in the wrong forum, it just doesn't hurt me.

And again... the issue isn't about how many moderns one can push into the G/S/B Only thread.

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

Wait, what's the problem? The guy got his thread pulled for a legit reason, asked for it back, and the mods put it back?

You're called Speedy for a reason :baiting:

Guys and gals,

Ed

WTTB!!

Thanks! Where's the 9.8 forum?

Right below the Aquaman Selfie Gallery.

Instead of worrying about "levels of sarcasm"... why don't you address the issue being discussed?

How do you feel about moderation allowing a boardie to dictate the rules?

Your complaint was valid. The execution was suspect, as Chris pointed out so eloquently.

Personally, I would have PMed Dale, not posted it in his sales thread. One time, during a VCC, I PMed a seller because of something I saw that seemed to break VCC rules.

Do I believe that moderation is influenced by individual boardies? Yes, the notify button allows us a certain level of influence. However, It's still up to the mods to make the final call.

Do I believe that one boardie is being allowed to dictate the rules based on one example, Dale's sales thread? Rubbish

Or you can sidestep it... and continue to make comments about me and how I feel this action by moderation is "only unfair to me and my sales threads".

I've decided that I'm not going to engage you any longer because at this point, about the only thing I can do with regards to you is make personal comments. I've seen too much of your board personality to view you any other way. It's a flaw that I can freely admit to the boards. We all have flaws. However, not everyone on these boards is capable of seeing flaws in themselves. (shrug)

I do apologize for my sarcasm. You go your way and I'll go mine.

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment waiver of the established forum rules after a moderator had made the decision to enforce the established rules (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

Fixed that.

Didn't want things to be mischaracterized. Let's be fair to the moderators. The moderators never imposed any punishment (nor should they have). The (appropriate) moving of the thread to Mixed was not punishment, but was simply putting the thread where it "should have been" in the first place. Punishment would have been the imposition of some extra consequences on top of putting the thread where it belonged to begin with. The moderators did not impose any such extra consequences (correctly so).

Edited by edowens71

It's certainly doable, but it is more work for both the seller and a buyer.

For low dollar books, a sales thread needs a certain number of books in it to be worth dealing with the shipping.

For example, I have a bunch of SA and BA books that are numerous enough or high enough value that it would be worth having a sales thread. I also have a half-dozen $5 Copper Age books. Someone might throw them on top of an order, but they probably aren't going to pay shipping to order just them.

It makes sense to just tack them onto the SA thread, rather than create a separate thread for them that no one will be interested in on its own. Buyers are less likely to go look at my other thread than they are to look at additional books in the thread that they are already looking at. When some books sell, I can post a complete update in one thread, rather than go back and forth.

In Dale's case, I'd prefer to be able to just look at his thread to see what he has for sale, rather than go hunting for an additional thread in a sales forum I never remember to check.

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain why everyone is so worried that some Copper books might end up in the GA/SA/BA forum incorrectly? :D

Guys and gals,

Ed

It's certainly doable, but it is more work for both the seller and a buyer.

For low dollar books, a sales thread needs a certain number of books in it to be worth dealing with the shipping.

For example, I have a bunch of SA and BA books that are numerous enough or high enough value that it would be worth having a sales thread. I also have a half-dozen $5 Copper Age books. Someone might throw them on top of an order, but they probably aren't going to pay shipping to order just them.

It makes sense to just tack them onto the SA thread, rather than create a separate thread for them that no one will be interested in on its own. Buyers are less likely to go look at my other thread than they are to look at additional books in the thread that they are already looking at. When some books sell, I can post a complete update in one thread, rather than go back and forth.

In Dale's case, I'd prefer to be able to just look at his thread to see what he has for sale, rather than go hunting for an additional thread in a sales forum I never remember to check.

For the love of Festivus, can someone please explain why everyone is so worried that some Copper books might end up in the GA/SA/BA forum incorrectly? :D

Guys and gals,

Ed

It is an issue of adherence to the forum rules. To some it is not a big deal, and to others it is. With a group this size, there will never be consensus. Some people are "by the book," others are not.

Mix in some inconsistent moderation and you have what we have here.

Hey guys, just a heads up here...

I am going to move my moderns from my GA/SA/BA thread to the copper modern forum. All this posting over it is ridiculous. It is simple enough for me to start a new thread and move it. Actually allows me to post a lot more of that stuff anyway.

This hopefully will allow you guys to go back to your life, takes any pressure off the mods, and makes it easier for me to post as much of the stuff as I want, especially since there seems to be a lot of demand for it.

Can't get all the books moved today, but will begin working on it either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Hopefully we can all kiss and make up now.

Dale

Instead of worrying about "levels of sarcasm"... why don't you address the issue being discussed?

Your complaint was valid. The execution was suspect, as Chris pointed out so eloquently.

Personally, I would have PMed Dale, not posted it in his sales thread. One time, during a VCC, I PMed a seller because of something I saw that seemed to break VCC rules.

Do I believe that moderation is influenced by individual boardies? Yes, the notify button allows us a certain level of influence. However, It's still up to the mods to make the final call.

Do I believe that one boardie is being allowed to dictate the rules based on one example, Dale's sales thread? Rubbish

Or you can sidestep it... and continue to make comments about me and how I feel this action by moderation is "only unfair to me and my sales threads".

I've decided that I'm not going to engage you any longer because at this point, about the only thing I can do with regards to you is make personal comments. I've seen too much of your board personality to view you any other way. It's a flaw that I can freely admit to the boards. We all have flaws. However, not everyone on these boards is capable of seeing flaws in themselves. (shrug)

I'm glad you can finally admit that our board relationship has affected you posts towards me on a personal level.

Time heals all wounds and I hold no ill will towards you. :foryou:

You can go your way and I will go mine, but I will gladly leave the PM door open should you wish to try again.

xxx ooo

Rupp

Hey guys, just a heads up here...

I am going to move my moderns from my GA/SA/BA thread to the copper modern forum. All this posting over it is ridiculous. It is simple enough for me to start a new thread and move it. Actually allows me to post a lot more of that stuff anyway.

This hopefully will allow you guys to go back to your life, takes any pressure off the mods, and makes it easier for me to post as much of the stuff as I want, especially since there seems to be a lot of demand for it.

Can't get all the books moved today, but will begin working on it either tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. Hopefully we can all kiss and make up now.

Dale

Dale,

Why worry about doing all that work?

Why not just PM the mod that moved it and ask her to put the whole thing back in Mixed and continue your thread there.

I can pretty much guarantee that you aren't going to lose any sales since you are selling quality merchandise at fair prices.

AGAIN... this isn't about how many moderns you can push into a G/S/B Only thread... its this....

Its how that it's right for any boardie who has clearly violated a stated posting rule, be able to get a retraction of his punishment waiver of the established forum rules after a moderator had made the decision to enforce the established rules (the moving of the thread) by simply asking for it... and not be required to change the content of the thread that caused it to be moved in the first place?

Fixed that.

Didn't want things to be mischaracterized. Let's be fair to the moderators. The moderators never imposed any punishment (nor should they have). The (appropriate) moving of the thread to Mixed was not punishment, but was simply putting the thread where it "should have been" in the first place. Punishment would have been the imposition of some extra consequences on top of putting the thread where it belonged to begin with. The moderators did not impose any such extra consequences (correctly so).

lol

Dale,

I applaud you for that decision, sir.

Although I think the separate thread approach provides a nice, clean structure, Rupp raises an interesting point about putting the thread back in Mixed that relates to my thoughts about Mixed that I didn't want to digress to earlier...

This is for all of us to consider:

Why is Mixed a four-letter word? If any of us thinks it’s better to have our books in one large thread for whatever reason, why not run our threads in Mixed? That’s what it’s there for. Is it because it’s a “low traffic” area…no one goes there...it's too much trouble to check it…is that it? I don’t think that’s true…say I’m browsing the boards, I have some money with which to buy comics…I think, ‘hey, I wonder if there are any good threads in Mixed’…I click the link. (shrug) Why does no one go there…because there are never any good sales threads there? Is that why? I assure you that if Dale Roberts was running an epic sales thread in Mixed, I'd go there. Do you see how this is endogenous? If people put quality combined threads in Mixed instead of incorrectly putting them elsewhere, Mixed would not be a low traffic area…people would go there, and sellers would love putting their threads there. It’s self-fulfilling! You could make a case that the collective rules violations (putting combined threads elsewhere) are a key cause of why Mixed is a low traffic area! hm

Dale,

Although I think the separate thread approach provides a nice, clean structure, Rupp raises an interesting point about putting the thread back in Mixed that relates to my thoughts about Mixed that I didn't want to digress to earlier...

Why is Mixed a four-letter word? If any of us thinks it’s better to have our books in one large thread for whatever reason, why not run our threads in Mixed? That’s what it’s there for. Is it because it’s a “low traffic” area…no one goes there...it's too much trouble to check it…is that it? I don’t think that’s true…say I’m browsing the boards, I have some money with which to buy comics…I think, ‘hey, I wonder if there are any good threads in Mixed’…I click the link. (shrug) Why does no one go there…because there are never any good sales threads there? Is that why? I assure you that if Dale Roberts was running an epic sales thread in Mixed, I'd go there. Do you see how this is endogenous? If people put quality combined threads in Mixed instead of incorrectly putting them elsewhere, Mixed would not be a low traffic area…people would go there, and sellers would love putting their threads there. It’s self-fulfilling! You could make a case that the collective rules violations (putting combined threads elsewhere) are a key cause of why Mixed is a low traffic area! hm

Mixed really isn't a low traffic area. I've done quite well there.

On the plus side... when you are constantly posting merchandise for a large thread, the front page turnover rate is MUCH lower.

That gives your thread almost constant front page exposure and doesn't push smaller threads quickly out of the limelight... that's two great things about posting in Mixed. ;)

Dale,

I've tried having sales threads in Mixed and the results were very poor. Granted, though, I'm not listing anything of the caliber that Dale is.

I finally did the two separate threads thing, which was a little more work. But I sold several Silver and Bronze books that I had listed several times in Mixed without results.

Didn't really sell anything in my Copper/Modern thread. I guess that stuff was holding me back. lol

Dale,

All you have to do is look in Mixed and you can tell. There are DVDs and curtains being sold in there. Its a flea market.

Why doesn't everyone just switch over to a competitor of Ebay?

People look at GA/SA/BA, so people prefer to put their sales threads there, so people continue to look at GA/SA/BA. It's a self-fulfilling thing.

I can pull up the first page of GA/SA/BA and there is a pretty good bet that there are books I'm interested in.

That's not generally the case in Mixed, so I usually forget to check it.

On another note, is it wrong that I am sort of hoping that someone puts a sales thread in Mixed that only has GA/BA/SA books and the Mods move it. :devil:

Dale,