• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Xmen 95, Marvel SPotlight 32, and one Marvel Premiere 48 sold.

I was going to buy these but after reading this thread I've decided not to move forward with the deal and save myself a potential headache down the road.

FWIW GIJoe was understanding and didn't give me any grief over dropping out.

You agree to a deal, you should fulfill your end of the commitment. 2c

Andy, I agreed to buy books before any of these troubling instances came to light. If you think I am wrong then you or anybody else including GIJoe are free to add me to the probation list if you think I am some how less then honourable and good intentioned when it comes completing board purchases. 2c

Lawrence

Absolute Vertigo 1. 8.5. Presents well. Hot as coal (thumbs u

$25

and here's the VF+ book that he bought from me that was "damaged" during shipment that resulted in the refund demand

Holy ...

:facepalm:

-slym

This just keeps getting worse :facepalm:

And he didn't think people would put two and two together? Amazingly stupid.

It does seem pretty dumb doesn't it.

I vaguely remember him starting off doing something goofy and taking some heat for it but as his post count started to go up it appeared he was getting some credibility. I know post counts shouldn't really matter, heck I've been here since 2009 and have less than 300 posts, but when I see someone with a high count I assume they're a contributing member of the board. I guess DBs can have high count too...

I vaguely remember him starting off doing something goofy and taking some heat for it but as his post count started to go up it appeared he was getting some credibility. I know post counts shouldn't really matter, heck I've been here since 2009 and have less than 300 posts, but when I see someone with a high count I assume they're a contributing member of the board. I guess DBs can have high count too...

His inaugural move was bumping super old WTB threads.

The You-Overgraded-By-0.2-Therefore-You-Owe-Me-A-Partial-Refund-No-I-Do-Not-Want-To-Return-The-Book-Just-Give-Me-Money-Back exploitation formula is standard fare on ebay. It's unfortunate to see that behavior leak over here but, fortunately, there is a system in place to help expose it and create consequences for the exploiter. I wonder if I have him on my ebay blocked bidders list hm

Link ?

Is the "system" this thread & someone getting fed up enough to speak up & then the floodgates open?

In truth we should encourage use of the PGM forum to arbitrate this sort of garbage if it continues - it would make that forum more interesting & doing it anonymously, through a 3rd party, would put n00bs & vets on a level playing field.

I'm sure there are a few penny pinching vets scraping nickles off the back end of deals too.

It is disturbing to see how many people on these boards are social misfits who react like children while doing the "remove from PM, ignore BS" - sometimes I think the stereotypes about comic collectors are too kind.

The You-Overgraded-By-0.2-Therefore-You-Owe-Me-A-Partial-Refund-No-I-Do-Not-Want-To-Return-The-Book-Just-Give-Me-Money-Back exploitation formula is standard fare on ebay. It's unfortunate to see that behavior leak over here but, fortunately, there is a system in place to help expose it and create consequences for the exploiter. I wonder if I have him on my ebay blocked bidders list hm

Is the "system" this thread & someone getting fed up enough to speak up & then the floodgates open?

Yes.

It is disturbing to see how many people on these boards are social misfits who react like children while doing the "remove from PM, ignore BS" - sometimes I think the stereotypes about comic collectors are too kind.

Yes.

I never understood how a cgc book could be priced under the cost of the cgc service. About a year ago I picked up an xmen #4 (vol 2) old label cgc 9.6 for $25 from my lcs. I mean they wouldn't sell it for less then they paid but still the cost of cgc and shipping has to at least be 25. That's what I don't get about pricing the second print mos at 5. Maybe raw (but I doubt it) but in Jimmys case it was graded (and Signed) so at a minimum it should have been 5+grading fees), but obviously worth more.

The cost of slabbing is kind of a sunk cost.

Maybe a book was subbed with hopes of getting a 9.8 (which the market support the price to make it economically viable to sub a book that has a chance of coming back at 9.8), but when it came back as a 9.6 the market doesnt really support the price needed to recoup the cost of slabbing.

At that point the owner is just looking to recoup some of their costs, so they are willing to sell it "at a loss"

Absolute Vertigo 1. 8.5. Presents well. Hot as coal (thumbs u

$25

morestuffforcgcboards11_zps8a901430.jpg

and here's the VF+ book that he bought from me that was "damaged" during shipment that resulted in the refund demand

Not to play devils advocate, but is there something that disguishes it as the one you sold him as an 8.5 that he said was damaged?

(not doubting you, but that would be a defense... but if you KNOW it's yours then thats amazingly weak on his part)

I was going to buy these but after reading this thread I've decided not to move forward with the deal and save myself a potential headache down the road.

Andy, I agreed to buy books before any of these troubling instances came to light. If you think I am wrong then you or anybody else including GIJoe are free to add me to the probation list if you think I am some how less then honourable and good intentioned when it comes completing board purchases. 2c

Lawrence

Lawrence,

You did nothing wrong.

What was the grade he gave you on the MP 48?

When you committed to buy these allegation (regarding some of the same books you were buying) involving " grade-jobbing* " had not come to light. At this point you have no reason to believe his grading is legitimate or accurate.

* TM ME 2014.

so yeah I had a similar incident but it was different and really upsets me.

Screenshot2014-02-07at123041AM_zpseace5307.png

one message missed by me I apologize. I suggest a trade and say I asked $150 for both slabs.

Screenshot2014-02-07at123137AM_zpsff1c9fb0.png

Screenshot2014-02-07at123149AM_zpsf167c11e.png

Screenshot2014-02-07at123219AM_zps4103b52f.png

Now remember that I'm almost always high.

Screenshot2014-02-07at123233AM_zpsa2714de1.png

Did he really put a value of $5 on a CGC 9.6 SS 2nd print? Wow.

Not only that...it was a 2008 sale AND it was a blue label at that.

He compared a 2008 Blue sale to a 2014 Sale of an SS Simonson copy, where the Simonson sig alone has added between $80 and $100 for 9.6 and 9.8 copies across the board.

He did it with a straight farkin' face as the cherry on top of this turd souffle he baked.

Lawrence

Hey Lawrence, :hi:

I've dealt with you on a few occasions and you have been nothing less than perfect. I don't believe that going forward, your dealings with people here will be any different.

That being said, the issues that have cropped up from GIJOEISAWESOME's behaviour all stem from him buying from other people. Nothing appears to be an issue with his selling, heh, other than potentially over-grading. He isn't on the Probation List (yet) and I really don't know if he could be, as he hasn't backed out of any deals.

I'm probably thinking along the same lines as you and everyone else here, ie. he doesn't need to be on any list, I know that I will avoid doing any kind of business with him in the future. However, I was just mentioning that to you because he would now have cause to nominate you for not following through on an agreement. It seems like a lot less of a potential headache to pay and get this deal over with, then avoid him afterwards.

The best case scenario would be for him to allow you to back out without any of that PL talk.

Just talking out loud. (thumbs u

Andy

Lawrence

I've dealt with you on a few occasions and you have been nothing less than perfect. I don't believe that going forward, your dealings with people here will be any different.

That being said, the issues that have cropped up from GIJOEISAWESOME's behaviour all stem from him buying from other people. Nothing appears to be an issue with his selling, heh, other than potentially over-grading. He isn't on the Probation List (yet) and I really don't know if he could be, as he hasn't backed out of any deals.

I'm probably thinking along the same lines as you and everyone else here, ie. he doesn't need to be on any list, I know that I will avoid doing any kind of business with him in the future. However, I was just mentioning that to you because he would now have cause to nominate you for not following through on an agreement. It seems like a lot less of a potential headache to pay and get this deal over with, then avoid him afterwards.

The best case scenario would be for him to allow you to back out without any of that PL talk.

Andy

There are two things that I would change about what you said:

1) This seller already let him out of the deal voluntarily. So he can't put him on any list.

2) If it can be proved in one instance (or a half dozen it seems) that he claimed (for illustration purposes) that a book he bought as 6.0 was a 5.0 in order to get a partial refund from the buyer and then resold it here as a 7.0, I think we've got some serious list material. That's fraud. He defrauded the person he bought it from by inducing a refund from them by lying about the grade and it is proven to be a lie when the books are resold at a higher grade immediately thereafter. If any of that can be shown an corroborated you've got MORE than enough to list him. WAY more.

Lawrence

Andy

There are two things that I would change about what you said:

1) This seller already let him out of the deal voluntarily. So he can't put him on any list.

2) If it can be proved in one instance (or a half dozen it seems) that he claimed (for illustration purposes) that a book he bought as 6.0 was a 5.0 in order to get a partial refund from the buyer and then resold it here as a 7.0, I think we've got some serious list material. That's fraud. He defrauded the person he bought it from by inducing a refund from them by lying about the grade and it is proven to be a lie when the books are resold at a higher grade immediately thereafter. If any of that can be shown an corroborated you've got MORE than enough to list him. WAY more.

I'm glad he let him out of the deal. (thumbs u

Yeah, I didn't consider the number of cases where he's done the same thing. Definitely a pattern.

Looks like they got his slogan right in the beginning....

med-subip-OBRDR.jpg

I'm at a loss with what I have been reading for the past 2 days. I was beginning to feel like he was a stand up guy. Guess they all can't be winners.

For a guy that averages 100 posts a day, GIJOE's silence since the floodgates opened last night is deafening. I don't think he's gone this long without posting since he first signed up. hm