• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone. I just watched it and while I appreciate the young mans enthusiasm I have to say that the quality of parenting (if they know what's going on) is everything that is wrong with the world.

If that were my child and I found out what was going on, well lets just say I would have made him return everyone's goods and money and then call and apologize to everyone. That would have been after he had to deal with me.

:news:WARNING :news:

If you emailed GIJOEISAWESOME or his father's account to get resolution, please check the account sent folder you emailed him from.

I had contacted the father via his real estate email address to get resolution on a recent trade. I received one response back, asking how to reach me to talk, which I responded to. As of this morning, now my email sent out SPAM with a URL and the subject line "no regrets after doing this venture". This went out to a few board members I have now notified not to open the email or click the URL. You will need to reset your password, plus any account that may use that same email-password combination.

By the way, what tipped me off this had occurred: I received a failed email notice. It turns out the dad's email account has been closed, and does not receive emails now.

So much for "the father was not involved in the deal" thinking.

and no HOS vote for this dynamic duo??

If you emailed GIJOEISAWESOME or his father's account to get resolution, please check the account sent folder you emailed him from.

I had contacted the father via his real estate email address to get resolution on a recent trade. I received one response back, asking how to reach me to talk, which I responded to. As of this morning, now my email sent out SPAM with a URL and the subject line "no regrets after doing this venture". This went out to a few board members I have now notified not to open the email or click the URL. You will need to reset your password, plus any account that may use that same email-password combination.

By the way, what tipped me off this had occurred: I received a failed email notice. It turns out the dad's email account has been closed, and does not receive emails now.

I know he's banned, but HoS couldn't hurt, right?

Works for me.

Works for me.

Yea definitely should be listed in the HOS. This way when he shows back up in a few months and we figure out who it is, we can start throwing the link in all his sales threads.

Bosco,

Are you sure this is cause and effect? I ask because I had something similar happen to me about a year ago. Somehow my Yahoo account became infected with a virus and sent spam out to everyone with whom I had ever had a conversation. I've also been the recipient of these spam emails from people that had infected accounts. The subject titles were similar to yours. Not to defend this guy, but I wonder if this might only be a coincidence.

I'm not seeing the connection. Because you sent an email to his father and a short time later, your email was compromised, it means he did it? :shrug:

1. That's a common spam email. Google the subject line and see others.

2. It didn't just target board members, it was probably sent to just about everyone you've emailed.

3. Unless you clicked on a link in an email the father sent you, he had no way to attack you.

Bosco,

Are you sure this is cause and effect? I ask because I had something similar happen to me about a year ago. Somehow my Yahoo account became infected with a virus and sent spam out to everyone with whom I had ever had a conversation. I've also been the recipient of these spam emails from people that had infected accounts. The subject titles were similar to yours. Not to defend this guy, but I wonder if this might only be a coincidence.

It's a fair question.

I am at an all - day conference. But when I arrive back home, I am going to forward the email to someone that wants to analyze it.

I respond to most of my emails via Outlook using Communicator as the Web interface. So I received the response from the "father" that he wanted to talk with me, the message appeared harmless.

When looking at it now via Samsung Galaxy, one of the words in the email contains a hyperlink where there is no need to be one. This may be what allowed for the account details capture.

This is one I have never experienced before. "VERY TRICKY" is putting it lightly.

Bosco,

It's a fair question.

I am at an all - day conference. But when I arrive back home, I am going to forward the email to someone that wants to analyze it.

I respond to most of my emails via Outlook using Communicator as the Web interface. So I received the response from the "father" that he wanted to talk with me, the message appeared harmless.

When looking at it now via Samsung Galaxy, one of the words in the email contains a hyperlink where there is no need to be one. This may be what allowed for the account details capture.

This is one I have never experienced before. "VERY TRICKY" is putting it lightly.

Another possibility is that the virus did in fact come from the father's account, but he was unaware of the infection. I didn't know my account was infected until someone emailed me back and asked why I was sending them links to websites that sold erectile dysfunction drugs. :)

Bosco,

It's a fair question.

Another possibility is that the virus did in fact come from the father's account, but he was unaware of the infection. I didn't know my account was infected until someone emailed me back and asked why I was sending them links to websites that sold erectile dysfunction drugs. :)

I can appreciate your logical thinking here. But the coincidence involved here may not play to GIJOE's favor (or dad).

1) A scam is conducted on multiple board members, caught by chance due to a prior failed transaction.

2) It turns out we had a 12 year-old boy pretending to be a 40 year-old man with a wife and kids, including a depth of stories J.J. Abrams would like access to for his next movie.

3) Upon emailing the father of the person involved, I receive a response back that includes a potential SPAM technique to capture email account details.

The timing and sensitivity details too closely align to not assume there is a link. But of course, there is always the chance the riskiness of real estate and the scams that come up associated with this market may have led to the father's account being hacked.

Maybe.

Bosco,

It's a fair question.

Did that person thank you?

Bosco,

It's a fair question.

Did the emails persist in excess of 4 hours?