• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

General discussion thread - keep the other threads clean
29 29

35,153 posts in this topic

This is so typical of many of the new people that have joined in the last couple of years. They take no interest in making friends, are confrontational, suck the place dry and spend the majority of their time in the sales threads.

Methinks there needs to be a PIF Hall of Shame for all the gypsies, tramps and thieves.

146144.jpg.8f32afa17533f4cd07d33d16d6cef9d9.jpg

This is so typical of many of the new people that have joined in the last couple of years. They take no interest in making friends, are confrontational, suck the place dry and spend the majority of their time in the sales threads.

Methinks there needs to be a PIF Hall of Shame for all the gypsies, tramps and thieves.

I like the idea someone had about a trading thread.

It looks like he made a sweet $50 just off of a piece of it.

Sweet Sweet Profit

I can't believe someone paid $50 for 7.0 or better issues. I couldn't sell runs last year for more than $20 in vf/nm.

+1

I couldn't give away my 9.6/9.8 raw set for $35 six months ago. It was cheaper for me to keep it.

Me too. Let's face it, that's what the PIF thread is. I think that way you could make a more clearly defined set of rules without having to worry about ruining the "spirit" of the thread.

hm Right now, any one that wants to can make a trading thread in the general marketplace. Rule #10 from Arch's marketplace guidelines covers that:

10. If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

Why the need for a separate trading thread? Just do it in the existing general marketplace structure and the existing marketplace rules will govern, right? Buyer would just be paying with books instead of cash...just a different form of currency. No need for a new set of rules, etc. (shrug)

hm Right now, any one that wants to can make a trading thread in the general marketplace. Rule #10 from Arch's marketplace guidelines covers that:

10. If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

Why the need for a separate trading thread? Just do it in the existing general marketplace structure and the existing marketplace rules will govern, right? Buyer would just be paying with books instead of cash...just a different form of currency. No need for a new set of rules, etc. (shrug)

You are correct that it's allowed. Unfortunately, trading posts are pushed off the radar very quickly by selling posts. They can't compete. In order for it to work, there would have to be a separate trading forum (which would be my preference). A trading thread in CG might be a good alternative.

Here's another thought that keeps running through my head every time there's smoke coming from the PIF thread...

The PIF thread is not a structural component of this site. The PIF thread was just that....a thread, started by one boardie, NamesJay...not that long ago, actually (6/15/12). Just like we all start threads in CG all the time...here's how he did it:

I discovered this idea on cards forum and thought it might be fun.

Maybe this has been tried before, I don't know... But let's give it a shot!

His thread got stickied, and the rest is history. What would happen, say, if NamesJay comes into the PIF thread and posts something like "well, this thread of mine used to be fun, but it's not so fun anymore because of all this nonsense...seems like it generates more problems than virtue, so THREAD CLOSED." hm

In order for it to work, there would have to be a separate trading forum (which would be my preference). A trading thread in CG might be a good alternative.

Along with formally removing the ability to start a trading thread in the general marketplace, perhaps? Not a bad idea...

I honestly didn't know there was the ability to have a trading thread in the marketplace. I've never seen one in there. The closest thing I've seen is someone selling books and mentioning they might be open to trades.

edowens71, sure, eliminate the trading threads in general marketplace and make a specific area for trades. Sounds good to me!

Here's another thought that keeps running through my head every time there's smoke coming from the PIF thread...

The PIF thread is not a structural component of this site. The PIF thread was just that....a thread, started by one boardie, NamesJay...not that long ago, actually (6/15/12). Just like we all start threads in CG all the time...here's how he did it:

I discovered this idea on cards forum and thought it might be fun.

Maybe this has been tried before, I don't know... But let's give it a shot!

His thread got stickied, and the rest is history. What would happen, say, if NamesJay comes into the PIF thread and posts something like "well, this thread of mine used to be fun, but it's not so fun anymore because of all this nonsense...seems like it generates more problems than virtue, so THREAD CLOSED." hm

In reality,he shouldn't have too. The mods can close it.

I think the idea of a trading forum with a trading thread is a good idea and allows the people that enjoy the PIF, and don't take advantage of others generosity, to rule it up to their hearts content.

Having it stickied to the top of CG with the relatively regular sniping and arguing isn't engendering any positivity.

I've suggested it in the past. I brought it back up with my original ideas in the PIF discussion thread in CG. I'd like to get some feedback on setting up the rules before starting it, I'm sure it could use a little ironing out before starting it, but I'll get the ball rolling if enough people show interest in the idea on PIF discussiont thread.

links

anyone else drooling over the TMNT #1 that just got posted ?!?

What'd you offer them?

:popcorn:

-slym

no offense but he posted this 5 days ago...? isn't there an expiration on when you can :baiting: people?

maybe i should have posted this on Sunday?

It looks like he made a sweet $50 just off of a piece of it.

Sweet Sweet Profit

What was his follow-up PIF offer?

Nothing good

I just offered to give someone a solid 9.6 or better X-Men 212 singed by Chris Claremont and CGCED for free. Tho he didn't want the book that would have been a sure $150+ he wanted his X-Men 141 done instead, so I put up all the fees to have it done. Something I know a lot of people wanted

Getting ready to unload some books ASAP, Golden and Silver age with some bronze. Haven't sold before, only through Ebay now and then over the years. I am not really a set price type of seller but it seems as though that's the way to go on here. Is it rude or wrong to ask for offers on books through this forum? Or do you guys prefer a set price in the posting?

Thanks

Frank